B1396 – British Indian Ocean Territory Detention Facility Bill 2018 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
B1396 – British Indian Ocean Territory Detention Facility Bill 2018, Unown Uzer and Joep95 MP

British Indian Ocean Territory Detention Facility Bill 2018

A
BILL
TO

Construct and put into operation a military prison in the British Indian Ocean Territory

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1) Definitions

(a) ‘Detention Facility’ refers to military prisons used to detain unlawful combatants, suspected terrorists, and those whose freedom is deemed to be a national security by HM Government.
(b) An ‘unlawful combatant’ is a person who directly engages in armed conflict in violation of the laws of war.
(c) A ‘terrorist’ is a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
(d) ‘Enhanced interrogation methods’ refer to the use of psychological tactics during an interrogation for the purpose of extracting information.

2) Detention Camp

(1) A detention facility with a maximum occupancy of 1000 Category A inmates shall be constructed in the British Indian Ocean Territory before the end of 2020 by the Ministry of Defence.
(2) The detention facility shall be operated by the Ministry of Defence.
(3) Unlawful combatants, suspected terrorists, and those whose freedom is deemed to be a national security threat by HM Government may be detained indefinitely at the British Indian Ocean Territory Detention Facility without trial and may be prohibited from communicating with anyone outside the detention facility.
(4) Approved personnel from Military Intelligence, Section 5 and Military Intelligence, Section 6 may use enhanced interrogation methods on suspected terrorists at the British Indian Ocean Territory Detention Facility to extract intelligence related to national security.
(5) The Human Rights Act 1998 is hereby repealed.
(6) The British Indian Ocean Territory Detention Facility is considered to be outside UK legal jurisdiction.
(7) HM Government shall allocate the necessary funds for the construction and operation of the detention facility.

3) Short title, commencement and extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the British Indian Ocean Territory Detention Facility Act.
(2) This Act comes into effect 120 days after Royal Assent.
(3) This Act extends to the entirety of the United Kingdom.

Notes:

The UK faces one of the greatest terrorist threats in its history, with many people in the UK who are suspected terrorists and are a great threat to the country. This bill helps keep our country safe by moving these threats to a secure location. There is also the problem of terrorists withholding information from interrogators, so this bill permits the use of enhanced interrogation methods to extract information that could be used to save the lives of many British people.

Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, although I am not opposed to a military prison, the Human Rights Act should not be repealed without an immediate replacement.
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Very nice, aye.
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye- well written and good idea
Eppeb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, we don't need a British Guantanamo Bay.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(5) The Human Rights Act 1998 is hereby repealed

Hmm, something tells me this could be a slippery slope , especially because we probably shouldn’t do that until after Brexit and should be done in a separate bill
Can we even create something that isn’t within our own legal jurisdiction?
It’ll probably help if we didn’t open the bill with suspected terrorists, sounds like a slippery slope. Those convicted of terror related charges sure but that is troublesome
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Isn't it practically administrated by the US?
Bluestar511
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is against ECHR. And this is hardly effective in combatting terrorism.
username3796922
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(5) The Human Rights Act 1998 is hereby repealed.
Oh yes. Casually, as you do... (Nay)
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CountBrandenburg)
(5) The Human Rights Act 1998 is hereby repealed

Hmm, something tells me this could be a slippery slope , especially because we probably shouldn’t do that until after Brexit and should be done in a separate bill
Can we even create something that isn’t within our own legal jurisdiction?
It’ll probably help if we didn’t open the bill with suspected terrorists, sounds like a slippery slope. Those convicted of terror related charges sure but that is troublesome
These are my thoughts. The principle of a new, high-security prison itself is one I am favourable to but this bill seems to want to achieve something different altogether.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cheeky repeal of the HR Act in there, not sure that can happen without a replacement in place.

Abstain leaning on an aye at the moment depending on a second reading.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. I do not agree with detention without trial (s2(3)) as this is a dangerous thing to allow. I also do not agree with your ‘enhanced interrogation methods’ and I certainly do not agree with a repeal of the Human Rights Act 1998 which I believe is incredibly valuable.

Another concern of mine is the exclusion of the facility from our country’s legal system - why is this needed?
Dafios9128
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, enhanced interrogation is torture and torture is not only inhumane and against the UN Convention on Human Rights, but is also ineffective in extracting realizable information. Such an act would only alienate communities and lead to more terrorism.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay.

Although i do want to see the Human Rights Act repealed, i don't believe we really need to construct such a facility when the US is quite happy for us to use their own facilities.
g131999
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, the UK faces an massive threat from terrorism both foreign and domestic. Terrorists do not deserve human rights and should be subjected to enhanced interrogation techniques in order to save lives. A very well written bill!
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t agree torture is reasonable in almost any circumstance, and I agree with CountBrandenburgthat the repeal of the HRA is a slippery slope. You have not mentioned any alternative at all.

Big no.
EDMacRae
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. I cannot express enough my total, and wholehearted, opposition to this bill.

Most people are aware of the controversy of Guantanamo Bay in the United States and it is beyond me why anybody would wish to, essentially, import such controversy here.

I also agree with the concerns put forward by many members about this bills wish to repeal the Human Rights Act.

I understand that the Human Rights Act is controversial, and will happily listen to people's arguments against it, but to provide no attempt at all to justify why the act needs to be repealed, nor set out an alternative to it, gives the impression that this section of the bill was included for purely ideological reasons with no logical evidence stated to support it. It is dangerous and will cause great damage to this country's legal system.

I call on all members who either believe in human rights, or at least believe that a complex system of laws that has helped govern this country for around 20 years cannot be swept away with one line of a bill that is primarily dedicated to a different, albeit vaguely related, matter.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just a meme bill really, UU has proposed it before.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
This bill is in cessation.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
This bill has been withdrawn.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (370)
58.92%
Yes- I don't like it (34)
5.41%
No- I want it (179)
28.5%
No- I don't want it (45)
7.17%

Watched Threads

Latest