Turn on thread page Beta

I'm having a rhinoplasty on Thursday...AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Ooooh. Tell me. What did you have done to your nose, how was the operation, how was the recovery, how long did your bruises last for, did you have much pain, how long did you have to stay in bed for, etc... ?

As above, anything you can tell me? Also why did you have two? Did the first go wrong?
    I had a prominent dorsal hump which made my nose look large, crooked and caused the tip to be droopy, and I wanted it removed. A very standard rhinoplasty really!

I over-intellectualised it for a while, worrying about if it was wrong to alter my face and would I miss my old nose which had been with me and yadda yadda, and that hit me as I was walking in a surgical gown to anesthesia, but I think that's just social conditioning. We do things all the time to alter our appearance and really it's just not that deep haha.

The operation was fine, the anesthetic hits you quickly and then boom, you wake up ( in my case, wetting myself, lol ) with a cast over your nose. For me I experienced basically no pain, although you can definitely feel the blood and swelling - but it's not painful, just odd, like a pressure that's on you. I stayed in bed for the rest of the day and over the night, I couldn't sleep very well though. Went back home and took it easy for a couple of days ( I live alone so did end up carrying some shopping like a day after which is naughty of me, but oh well). Honestly though, you don't really feel much different apart from the swelling, which fades over time pretty quickly.

Bruises lasted maybe about a week and a half until fading away.

It wasn't a big deal at all, at least in my case. You get back to yourself very quickly, except, and I can't stress this enough, you won't like how your nose looks when the cast first comes off. It'll likely be very big because it's swollen. In a couple of weeks it ends up looking somewhat closer to normal although you'll probably be examining it closely and noticing how large and often uneven it looks. It will go down!

ReputationRep:
    I should add, I am very glad I had the surgery, am much happier with my face now, and have none of the regrets I worried about having.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my surgeon said that people often don't notice nose jobs! Mainly because other people aren't fixated on the nose. I'm not (hopefully) having anything major done, just smoothing down the bridge and putting a dent in the bulbous side. Unless I wake up and the surgeon's given me an awful ski slope nose, hopefully no one will notice!
    Haha, good luck! You should be fine then, you’ll have a brand new nose.

Going to sleep now (driving lesson at 9am!) but will reply tomorrow xx

ReputationRep:
    Me too :cry2: It's very scary. After all, it's not like you can hide your nose if it goes wrong. And surgeons have told me that my skin is so thin that only one nose job is possible. "One bite at the apple", one said. So no corrections :afraid:
    You'll be fine , whatever your avi is will protect you

ReputationRep:
    lets see a before pic

(Original post by Paktriot)
    I had a hump on my nose and I wanted it straightened out. Operation went pretty well, I slept through the whole thing and woke up with a really dry mouth but no pain. Recovery is okay, it takes a week to take the bandages off and after that it’s all good. Bruising and swelling is really bad and scary looking, you’ll look like someone beat your face up but it doesn’t hurt, just looks bad. The bruises last for about a week. I did not really need to stay in bed. I was discharged 5 hours after the surgery and didn’t need any specific bed rest.

The first one didn’t really go wrong but I thought it had become a bit more droopy than I wanted. I spoke to my surgeon about it and he agreed that it needed a lift so I got a second one.
    Ooh okay. Did they break your nose as part of your operation?

(Original post by UnbreakableDimmy)
    I had a prominent dorsal hump which made my nose look large, crooked and caused the tip to be droopy, and I wanted it removed. A very standard rhinoplasty really!

I over-intellectualised it for a while, worrying about if it was wrong to alter my face and would I miss my old nose which had been with me and yadda yadda, and that hit me as I was walking in a surgical gown to anesthesia, but I think that's just social conditioning. We do things all the time to alter our appearance and really it's just not that deep haha.

The operation was fine, the anesthetic hits you quickly and then boom, you wake up ( in my case, wetting myself, lol ) with a cast over your nose. For me I experienced basically no pain, although you can definitely feel the blood and swelling - but it's not painful, just odd, like a pressure that's on you. I stayed in bed for the rest of the day and over the night, I couldn't sleep very well though. Went back home and took it easy for a couple of days ( I live alone so did end up carrying some shopping like a day after which is naughty of me, but oh well). Honestly though, you don't really feel much different apart from the swelling, which fades over time pretty quickly.

Bruises lasted maybe about a week and a half until fading away.

It wasn't a big deal at all, at least in my case. You get back to yourself very quickly, except, and I can't stress this enough, you won't like how your nose looks when the cast first comes off. It'll likely be very big because it's swollen. In a couple of weeks it ends up looking somewhat closer to normal although you'll probably be examining it closely and noticing how large and often uneven it looks. It will go down!
    Wow, thanks so much for writing that (and the above poster). That's incredibly reassuring! I've had the same worries about getting rid of 'my nose' etc. To the point when I was 18 and went for my first ever consultation and started crying before we left the building because suddenly I felt all protective about my nose

The operation doesn't sound so bad, and I'm so glad for you that you were pleased with the result and had no regrets. How much did yours cost, if you on't mind me asking, and did you have it done in the UK?

(Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    You'll be fine , whatever your avi is will protect you
    Thank you, it's a rabbit goddess:love:

(Original post by goggleyed)
    lets see a before pic
    Nah

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23 and I just saved up from my (part time) job.

If you really think that having it done would make you feel better about yourself, then I say go for it. I've wanted a nose job since I was 13
    How long did it take you?

(Original post by YasudaSayo)
    How long did it take you?
    Dunno, a year?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, a year?
    On just a part time job? That's insane

ReputationRep:
    My surgeon said people usually book 2 weeks off work for it, though the instruction booklet he gave me says about three weeks. :hmmm: I'm prepared for A LOT of bruising though, because I bruise ridiculously easy. And I have thin skin. I've booked 17 days off work and hopefully that'll be enough! They think I'm going on holiday to Wales. :ninja:
    Lol why do they think you're going to Wales? is it not allowed to take time off to have surgery?

ReputationRep:
    1. How much does it cost?
    2. Does it hurt?
    3. How long will recovery approx take?
    4. If you wear makeup, how does it feel applying makeup on it and do you contour it?
    5. What are your family and friends' opinions on it?
    6. Would you recommend it to anyone looking to get it done?

ReputationRep:
    I actually just had a septorhinoplasty two days ago. I had a really bad deviated septum due to a football injury and the NHS basically f***** it up even more so I had to have this surgery procedure privately as I had no severe breathing issues. It costed me £7,500 for a top Harley Street surgeon but it's gone very well so far (i'm a male by the way and 17 years old). Can answer any questions if you have any

ReputationRep:
    Ooh okay. Did they break your nose as part of your operation?

Wow, thanks so much for writing that (and the above poster). That's incredibly reassuring! I've had the same worries about getting rid of 'my nose' etc. To the point when I was 18 and went for my first ever consultation and started crying before we left the building because suddenly I felt all protective about my nose

The operation doesn't sound so bad, and I'm so glad for you that you were pleased with the result and had no regrets. How much did yours cost, if you on't mind me asking, and did you have it done in the UK?
    Yeah, I get the sudden protective feeling. But in the end, it really is just some bone and muscle. It doesn't care haha. We don't feel guilty or upset shaving our hairs off after all. Plus it'll still be all your "stuff" like the cartilage, they've all just gotten bored after a few years and moved position!

Mine was 6 grand all things included - I had it done at a good UK surgeon, though not in London. I think having it done in the UK can be reassuring in terms of communication ease, follow-up appointments and in my case the option of revision is covered if necessary, though it doesn't seem like it will be. But obviously it's cost prohibitive for some people so no judgement on anyone's choice to go abroad if they do!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck, MM!

(Original post by YasudaSayo)
    On just a part time job? That's insane
    Not really, I saved everything I earnt :dontknow:

(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
    Lol why do they think you're going to Wales? is it not allowed to take time off to have surgery?
    I didn't want them to know I was having surgery! People will judge and I'd rather not have whispers about me.

(Original post by kiki213)
    1. How much does it cost?
    2. Does it hurt?
    3. How long will recovery approx take?
    4. If you wear makeup, how does it feel applying makeup on it and do you contour it?
    5. What are your family and friends' opinions on it?
    6. Would you recommend it to anyone looking to get it done?
    Pal, I've not had it yet.

(Original post by RhinoPlastyCmon)
    I actually just had a septorhinoplasty two days ago. I had a really bad deviated septum due to a football injury and the NHS basically f***** it up even more so I had to have this surgery procedure privately as I had no severe breathing issues. It costed me £7,500 for a top Harley Street surgeon but it's gone very well so far (i'm a male by the way and 17 years old). Can answer any questions if you have any
    Interesting, not sure I have any more questions though. My operation is purely cosmetic and I'm not having thaaaat much done (hopefully, he might get scalpel-happy).

(Original post by UnbreakableDimmy)
    Yeah, I get the sudden protective feeling. But in the end, it really is just some bone and muscle. It doesn't care haha. We don't feel guilty or upset shaving our hairs off after all. Plus it'll still be all your "stuff" like the cartilage, they've all just gotten bored after a few years and moved position!

Mine was 6 grand all things included - I had it done at a good UK surgeon, though not in London. I think having it done in the UK can be reassuring in terms of communication ease, follow-up appointments and in my case the option of revision is covered if necessary, though it doesn't seem like it will be. But obviously it's cost prohibitive for some people so no judgement on anyone's choice to go abroad if they do!
    Very true. There's such a taboo about plastic surgery though.

Okay, that's not too bad. Definitely, I didn't even consider getting it done out of the UK. There's something quite particular I want done about a part of my nose, and I wouldn't want it misunderstood through a miscommunication

(Original post by CJKay)
    Best of luck, MM!
    You're still alive then! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Please for the love of all that is holy do your post op treatments. If you have to wear a nasal brace then wear it. If you have to wear a big bandage around your head then wear it. This girl at my college had a nose job and didn’t wear her brace and she ended up with a nose even more bent

Tomorrow :afraid: 8am the surgery starts...

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow :afraid: 8am the surgery starts...
    I know it's too late. But maybe you should have gone for a non surgical nose job. It's cheaper and a quick recovery time.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.