The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Ask a former (soon to be returning) Stirling student!

Hi everyone!

I graduated from the University of Stirling in 2016 with a BSc in Nursing (Adult) and will be returning in September to do an MRes in Health Research.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have about Stirling itself, the university, private rentals, nursing courses etc. or anything else you would like to know. Whilst on my undergraduate degree I had experience with the STEER student mentor system and disability service so can also advise on those. Unfortunately I wasn't much of a user of the sports facilities... I can also help with some volunteering or part-time employment advice too in terms of what is available in the local area.

Ask away! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there. Hope you’re well. I’m doing nursing this year in Stirling. How busy is the first semester? I mean how many day a week you’re in college ?
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Original post by Jaybida
Hi there. Hope you’re well. I’m doing nursing this year in Stirling. How busy is the first semester? I mean how many day a week you’re in college ?

It's probably the busiest time you're going to have. There is a lot of theory and also clinical skills you need to learn before going out on placement so you'll find things are probably a little overwhelming to begin with. There is also lots of admin to do in terms of introducing you to the way your placements and degree overall will work, learning about the student handbook and your record for placements.

When you have clinical skills sessions it's generally organised on a rota, so you won't be in all week when this is happening, but generally you'll be in 5 days a week from 09:00-16:00 or similar when you have lectures. They are generally pretty good at giving you time to study before exams/assignments however obviously you won't get this time if you're on placement when an assignment is due.
Reply 3
Hey there, I am currently applying to Stirling and since I want to learn Russian at university (not as an undergraduate course but as an extra language course in the evening) I've been wondering whether there is such thing at Stirling? I couldn't find anything on their website so I thought that maybe you know something about this?
Hi there, how would you rate the STEER system and student disability support systems at Stirling University. Are the staff helpful in any situation?
Hiya,
I think I will be applying for Psychology in Stirling but don't know what it's like to live on that land. What is it like as a place? What does the university feel like to go to? Is it rural? What's available for a night out?
It's really hard to know what kind of place your university is and what it is like there.
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Hi everyone!

I graduated from the University of Stirling in 2016 with a BSc in Nursing (Adult) and will be returning in September to do an MRes in Health Research.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have about Stirling itself, the university, private rentals, nursing courses etc. or anything else you would like to know. Whilst on my undergraduate degree I had experience with the STEER student mentor system and disability service so can also advise on those. Unfortunately I wasn't much of a user of the sports facilities... I can also help with some volunteering or part-time employment advice too in terms of what is available in the local area.

Ask away! :smile:

Hello! I'm an American student coming to Stirling in September for my bachelors - I can't visit it beforehand unfortunately. What would you recommend for accomodation? The more social the better!
Original post by avalauren
Hello! I'm an American student coming to Stirling in September for my bachelors - I can't visit it beforehand unfortunately. What would you recommend for accomodation? The more social the better!

Sorry - I finished my course a couple of years ago and didn't live on campus. It's about 6 years since I was physically at the university and I know a lot of new accommodation has been built since then so I am probably not best placed to advise, but pretty much any of the main undergrad accommodation blocks on campus should give you a good social experience. I would avoid those aimed at mature students or postgrads as they are likely to be quieter (but you'd be unlikely to be placed there anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest