laura10203
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, any reply is appreciated.Basically my school offers five highers in fifth year. I have already picked Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English all at Higher, but now I am rethinking English. I would much prefer to crash Higher French and do Higher English in sixth year but only if it fits in my timetable. I want to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge or maybe medicine. My predicted grades for National 5 are all A's. Do I really need Higher English? Can it be replaced with Higher French?Thank you
BruisedBroccoli
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want to do medicine or natural sciences you've got the important basics, and I've never seen any medicine course require Higher English (some require N5 English, I'm sure it will be the same for natural sciences). Higher English is still very useful to have though, but if you're wanting to take it in sixth year I wouldn't really see a downside to going through with your plan.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by laura10203)
Hi, any reply is appreciated.Basically my school offers five highers in fifth year. I have already picked Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English all at Higher, but now I am rethinking English. I would much prefer to crash Higher French and do Higher English in sixth year but only if it fits in my timetable. I want to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge or maybe medicine. My predicted grades for National 5 are all A's. Do I really need Higher English? Can it be replaced with Higher French?Thank you
You don't need a Higher English for those courses, even though it is picked by most people (or English isn't optional in some schools). Either French or English would be fine- just choose the one you think you will do best in, as with this particular decision, the grade you get is pretty much more important than the subject.
laura10203
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you for replying, it has helped a lot.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by laura10203)
Thank you for replying, it has helped a lot.
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.54%
I'm not sure (32)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.46%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (353)
48.29%

Watched Threads