BTEC Preparation for University

Watch
Samishepz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have just received confirmation that I will be studying business Management at the University of Exeter, I am wondering if doing a BTEC in business as my route to uni will hinder my ability to cope with the work load, I did a year of a levels before hand and got a B in business but got a U in geography, so I had to drop out and start again. Also is there anything I can do to bridge the gap if any.
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you want some reassurance I've done BTEC, have graduated with a first class degree and am in the process of publishing my research. Starting a masters at kcl in September and a job lecturing in fe. Btec won't hold you back if you apply yourself.

Keep up with the readings etc. Learn basic things such as harvard referencing, how to write and structure high level essays. If you can learn early to pick apart the marking criteria it'll work in your favour. You'll probably have six modules a year and in many ways its similar to managing the different units you would have had on btec. Don't be scared to ask your lecturers for help or use the learning advisors who can help with this kind of thing. Try not to panic too much!
Samishepz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Justmac)
If you want some reassurance I've done BTEC, have graduated with a first class degree and am in the process of publishing my research. Starting a masters at kcl in September and a job lecturing in fe. Btec won't hold you back if you apply yourself.

Keep up with the readings etc. Learn basic things such as harvard referencing, how to write and structure high level essays. If you can learn early to pick apart the marking criteria it'll work in your favour. You'll probably have six modules a year and in many ways its similar to managing the different units you would have had on btec. Don't be scared to ask your lecturers for help or use the learning advisors who can help with this kind of thing. Try not to panic too much!

Thank you so much, will definitely use that advice
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Samishepz)
I have just received confirmation that I will be studying business Management at the University of Exeter, I am wondering if doing a BTEC in business as my route to uni will hinder my ability to cope with the work load, I did a year of a levels before hand and got a B in business but got a U in geography, so I had to drop out and start again. Also is there anything I can do to bridge the gap if any.
Not at all, I did an Extended Diploma in Computing instead of A levels and graduated from a good uni last year and am about to finish my MSc from a top 10 uni in Computer Science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.84%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
16.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (31)
16.32%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
14.74%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (52)
27.37%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.42%

Watched Threads