The Student Room Group

Ask a Disabled Student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah199711
BA (Hons)Special Educational Needs, Disability, Inclusion and Childhood and Family Studies

Ah that sounds like an awesome course :awesome: Have you applied for DSA (Disabled Students' Allowance) out of interest? Sorry if I should already know this :colondollar: And sorry for the late reply - thought I'd replied this but clearly just in my head :facepalm:

As for how to handle the workload, my general suggestions for arts/humanities/social sciences students are:

- Don't leave everything to the last minute - try and pace yourself and plan in advance for things

- Once you've made friends on your course, maybe try and split reading lists between you if they are amenable to this. What I mean is: say there are 9-12 things to read on a reading list for a coursework essay. You take 3-4, and two other people take the same amount. Each reads their amount, makes notes, and then shares the notes with the other two! So you have notes for all 9-12 things without having to read everything yourself :biggrin: (Though bear in mind that if you take notes in a particularly idiosyncratic way, this set-up may not work for you)

- Don't try and read absolutely everything all the way through, or everything on the reading lists. Over time, you'll learn how to skim-read and how to work out what is important for each piece of work/seminar reading. Uses indexes and scan for key words to save time :work:

- Try and work out your learning style (i.e. visual, kinaesthetic, auditory, etc.) and read up about what revision techniques or processes work well for that learning style. Try them out, experiment, and mix things up if you need to!
For example, I'm quite a visual person, so I respond well to pretty colours in my notes/mind maps/revision sheets :love:
Hi, I am starting a BA in September, I am also partially deaf in one ear - I have been told I am eligible for dsa but what actually could I get?
Getting straight to the point I am really wanting help to get a laptop, some sort of recording device to record lectures (I’ve been given permission) and hopefully some financial help - (I’m a mature student with a mortgage and 3 expensive children so cash is going to be tight)

My second question is this; is it better for me to get a disabled persons railcard (travelling on London Underground tfl network) or use the student discounted rail travel? (I am 33 yrs old)

Thank you in advance for any input! :smile:
Original post by Scooper28
Hi, I am starting a BA in September, I am also partially deaf in one ear - I have been told I am eligible for dsa but what actually could I get?
Getting straight to the point I am really wanting help to get a laptop, some sort of recording device to record lectures (I’ve been given permission) and hopefully some financial help - (I’m a mature student with a mortgage and 3 expensive children so cash is going to be tight)

My second question is this; is it better for me to get a disabled persons railcard (travelling on London Underground tfl network) or use the student discounted rail travel? (I am 33 yrs old)

Thank you in advance for any input! :smile:
Hey there :hi:

For railway I don't know (let me look into that).

For the laptop, YES. I'm partially deaf in one ear and DSA fund my laptop. You meed to pay the first £200 pounds but they'll pay for the rest, you'll get audio notetaker recording software and possibly more things and they'll pay for any repairs or additional parts needed during your degree. I also got a plug- in microphone. The only other thing I was able to access wasa deaf alerter when living in halls (which I didn't really use or need tbh).
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest