Would it look bad on my UCAS application if I switched from A level to BTEC?

Watch
username4180670
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have a lot of health issues which is affecting my A level exams so if I dropped out of A level for a BTEC Would it look bad on my university application?
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not necessarily, although you tend to really need to know what you want to do if you decide to take up an Extended BTEC and a number of good universities would only consider your application if you also have an A-Level to supplement it as they're viewed as being more academic
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No it wouldn't. Unless you were aiming for the very top, most unis won't care if you can meet the entry requirements and you're committed to your subject.
username4180670
Rep:
?
(Original post by SkyRunner61)
Not necessarily, although you tend to really need to know what you want to do if you decide to take up an Extended BTEC and a number of good universities would only consider your application if you also have an A-Level to supplement it as they're viewed as being more academic
I have no idea what I want to do in the future. Thats why I decided to do A levels, A levels tend to open more doors for you.
SkyRunner61
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fail12)
I have no idea what I want to do in the future. Thats why I decided to do A levels, A levels tend to open more doors for you.
Then it’s not even about whether universities would view the switch badly, BTECs just wouldn’t be suitable for you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
I have a lot of health issues which is affecting my A level exams so if I dropped out of A level for a BTEC Would it look bad on my university application?
Unlikely, especially if you did really well at BTEC. DDD or higher.
username4180670
Rep:
?
Then it’s not even about whether universities would view the switch badly, BTECs just wouldn’t be suitable for you
I need to sort my health out before I decide to carry on with A level.
SkyRunner61
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What does that have to do with switching to a vocational qualification that narrows your options
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why would you carry on with A levels after BTEC?
username4180670
Rep:
?
What does that have to do with switching to a vocational qualification that narrows your options
My Health is causing me to get Us in my AS exams. I Got UUC when before I used to get straight As. I thought since I am failing I might as well leave A level but obviously I Don't want to drop it.
username4180670
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
Why would you carry on with A levels after BTEC?
I didnt even do BTEC yet, I just finished my first year of A levels and I failed due to medical reasons so I was thinking about switching to BTEC next year. Right now I am trying to decide whether I should do A level again next year or just switch. If I choose to do BTEC then theres obviously no way back and I won't carry on with A level after BTEC.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didnt even do BTEC yet, I just finished my first year of A levels and I failed due to medical reasons so I was thinking about switching to BTEC next year. Right now I am trying to decide whether I should do A level again next year or just switch. If I choose to do BTEC then theres obviously no way back and I won't carry on with A level after BTEC.
Okay that makes sense. Do you have an idea what you want to do after? And what BTEC subject would you take?
SkyRunner61
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My Health is causing me to get Us in my AS exams. I Got UUC when before I used to get straight As. I thought since I am failing I might as well leave A level but obviously I Don't want to drop it.
If your health is causing you to fail A Levels, that doesn't mean that BTEC will be easier for you. Since it's much more coursework based, if your health issues affect your attendance then you might find the BTEC even harder to deal with. You can always just stick with A Levels once your health gets better. Whoever your reference is would be able to explain that your health problems have had a serious impact on the AS Levels that you've sat already as those are mitigating circumstances
username4180670
Rep:
?
I wanted to go to university to study law but this might not seem possible now because of medical reasons. And I am not sure what BTEC subject I would take, I might just rush into something and just stick with it, I wasnt expecting to get ill while studying A levels.I did really want to continue with A levels.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wanted to go to university to study law but this might not seem possible now because of medical reasons. And I am not sure what BTEC subject I would take, I might just rush into something and just stick with it, I wasnt expecting to get ill while studying A levels.I did really want to continue with A levels.
You can do a BTEC in Applied Law but this only comes as a BTEC Subsidiary (worth 1 A level). You could do Business with Law pathway or you could do Public Services.

All would be relevant to Law.
SkyRunner61
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don’t rush into it then. If you want to continue with A Levels, then that’s what you should do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (198)
57.56%
I don't have everything I need (146)
42.44%

Watched Threads