The Student Room Group

Medication Advice!

Hello!

I was wondering what medication people have tried and what their views are on other medications.

I am suffering from Anxiety with Depression and think I suffer from undiagnosed OCD

I am currently taking:

Rx:

Mirtazapine 30mg at night
Buspirone 5mg t.i.d - the dose is being increased to 10mg t.i.d

In the past i have taken:

Rx:

Sertraline 200mg daily
Fluoxetine 20mg daily

My symptoms are not well controlled and want to be able to go into a review appointment with my GP to ask for a change of med but want to see what others have used and if it has helped them!
Reply 1
It's a difficult question and no right answer as such. Everyone is different and reacts to medication in different ways.
Your best bet would be to consult your GP and tell him/her about your views on current medication. In first instance, he/she may change the dosage of current meds or introduce new medication. Unfortunately, it's quite difficult to find 'the best working' medication, takes months or even years sometimes.
By trial and error, I went through multiple different antidepressants and even antipsychotics before finally found a right combo of amitriptyline and venlafaxine. You should also ask your GP about therapy options - being medicated is not the only helpful solution.

Good luck :smile:
You’re neural biochemistry is unique to you therefore it will be a case of trial and error trying to find the right medication for you with current technology. However the future may yield personalised medicine and treatment as OneNote possible avenue for technological development.
Reply 3
Hi there. I've suffered with depression and anxiety (I have compulsive tendencies too) since year 10. I've just finished year 13 and I'm hoping to study Pharmacy at University of Lincoln. I work part time in a pharmacy right now and I'm fan-girling over those medical abbreviations.

I currently take Propanolol 40mg up to tds for the 'physical' symptoms of anxiety such as tachycardia. I don't take anything for depression.

Everything said so far is true, everyone has different reactions to medicines regardless of the symptoms being treated. For example, my GP isn't keen to prescribe me SSRIs because I'm in a demographic which shows trends of lower moods, increased suicidal thoughts and increased suicide for young men. Side effects such as ED and further complications are common. Although I no longer experience tachycardia, all the mental and emotional symptoms are still present. I respect my GPs decision to keep me away from antidepressants due to the lack of potential benefit over the risks involved. You'll find that risk-benefit conversations are common with these types of medication, but your GP will be the best source of information regarding treatment options.

If your medication is not reducing or preventing symptoms then the best thing to do would be to see your GP. Asking about specific medicines may not get you those medicines on prescription. However, since you're on atypical antidepressants and have previously taken SSRIs, perhaps inquire about other drug classes such as tricyclics or MAOIs.

Drop me a pm if you wanna talk about stuff.
I took Prozac for around 3 years during uni and after. The side effects were horrendous for the first month or so but they gradually wore off and I had barely any withdrawal symptoms as I came off them gradually. There's mixed views in the medical/psychological community about the effectiveness of Prozac, most research seems to agree that it's only really beneficial for those with severe depression which was the case with me. Either way I'm really glad I was prescribed them, I don't think I'd be here otherwise (along with counselling and my MH team obviously).
Reply 5
Original post by TheUniBoy
Hello!

I was wondering what medication people have tried and what their views are on other medications.

I am suffering from Anxiety with Depression and think I suffer from undiagnosed OCD

I am currently taking:

Rx:

Mirtazapine 30mg at night
Buspirone 5mg t.i.d - the dose is being increased to 10mg t.i.d

In the past i have taken:

Rx:

Sertraline 200mg daily
Fluoxetine 20mg daily

My symptoms are not well controlled and want to be able to go into a review appointment with my GP to ask for a change of med but want to see what others have used and if it has helped them!

I see you edited the post since it first had appeared.
Meds are not the only thing. Try therapy, CBT is great and I cannot recommend it enough, your GP will probably gladly sign you up for that.

As for meds question, it's been said many times in replies, everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to meds. It can sometimes take months or even years to get the right combo! That's the marvel of the human brain :wink:

If you are suffering from mental illness, get as much help as you possibly can - that being GP, psychiatrist, talking therapies, CBT, CMHT, free phone lines just to talk, your friends and family.
DO NOT rely just on medication to change your brain chemistry.
If you need help, get all the help you can get. It's your well-being on the line so, even though it might seem tough, do your research, get out there and get some help.
You are fighting for yourself and we all want you to win this fight :smile:
i take 50mg setralline. i was pretty worried to start it after reading all the stories online, i started wit 25mg no side affects at all and generally gives my mind more space to think practially and less irrationally. i split my 50mg up at the moment. I once tried the 50mg at once, and i did feel out of it, so i continue splitting it and this seems to be working. i may need an increase in the future, but i'd like to turn to other things, i think it's important to realise you have to put the work in yourself. for me, hopefully, i'm just starting now, but the medicaiton has gave me the kick-start ability to do that. i'd rather not incrase the medicaiton and use natural mean. if i tried a 50mg at once now, i may well be alright as my body myay have been accustomed to the medication b now, however it's important to take things slowly, come off and start medication slowly, its not going to happen overnight. i do wish howver tat i strted medication 2 years ago, tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest