The Student Room Group

What is Done Between Terms?

Here are some sample term dates of a university course

Autumn Term: 28 September - 13 December
Spring Term: 4 January - 20 March
Summer Term: 25 April- 26 June

As you can see, there are gaps of approximately a month between the terms. So what do people do during these gaps? Do you continue to study and prepare for exams or take time off for a break?
Original post by esrever

As you can see, there are gaps of approximately a month between the terms. So what do people do during these gaps? Do you continue to study and prepare for exams or take time off for a break?

What do you think they do eh!

They go home
Reply 2
Original post by squeakysquirrel
What do you think they do eh!

They go home

Really? So the term dates includes everything like preparation for exams, exams, practicals etc.?
Reply 3
At my uni there are summative assessment deadlines at the start of spring and summer term so writing essays and doing the preparatory reading for the next terms modules.
Original post by esrever

Preparation for exams is the main bulk of the Christmas and Easter holidays where I was. Exam season was the first three weeks back after Christmas as the last three weeks before summer. On top of revision it was also essential reading and essay writing for cultural modules, plus extension of language learning. Summer holidays are when you should be doing extra curricular activities like summer placements, to help improve your employability
Original post by esrever
Really? So the term dates includes everything like preparation for exams, exams, practicals etc.?

I think you will find that most students go home. They may well do revision but I can assure you that halls are empty during holidays
There are some deadlines which fall outside of term time. I've had to write essays whilst at home in January.:smile:
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I think you will find that most students go home. They may well do revision but I can assure you that halls are empty during holidays
Some are. Some halls will not be empty because the accommodation contract runs through the year. Particularly useful for international students who live thousands of miles away.
Luckily for my uni, we had coursework and exams at the end of term. This was good because then we had the whole holidays just to relax and ennjoy ourselves. On the down side, having multiple exams or coursework deadlines crammed within usually 1 week was the most stressful thing in the world. But the whole 4-6 weeks off to recuperate was amazing!
Reply 9
There is always stuff to be done in the holidays. At my uni we only have summer exams so the Easter holidays are used to start to revise for those but Christmas has been used to catch up on work not had time to do, complete essays that are due just after we go back, reading ahead for the next term.

At my uni we don't get reading weeks but longer holidays so its expected that work will be done in some of the holiday periods at least
Original post by 04MR17
Some are. Some halls will not be empty because the accommodation contract runs through the year. Particularly useful for international students who live thousands of miles away.

You all in charge of this forum are a humourless bunch aren't you

Quick Reply

Latest