The Student Room Group

Do long distance relationships work and last?

I think they do.

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They work if both parties make it work.
They can if both parties are willing to put in the time and effort to make it work. It's not easy to do and in my case was actually more time-consuming than if I'd been dating someone local.

I was in a long distance relationship for three years that ended last summer. The distance was only partially why I ended things. We wouldn't have lasted much longer even if we'd been physically together.
Reply 3
Some do, some don't.

There's no magic solution that'll make one work where another doesn't.
I think they do not work, A girl asked me out and she lives really far away from me I like her as well but I knew it wouldn't work at all.
Reply 5
IMO they’re not worth the stress unless you’re mid to late 20’s+ or married. If you’re like 20 it’s simply not worth the stress for a relationship that’s unlikely to be life long
Reply 6
They can work and be successful. But it does depend on how much effort both partners but into the relationship
Reply 7
Most don't, particularly if it is a school romance who then go off to uni.
you can talk all along the pros and cons and ifs and woulds but long story short: Everybody is different and an Individual. Anything can happen.

There are loads of super strong examples for the Pros and the Cliche Examples for the Cons (cheating partner bla bla)

At the end of the day let your heart decide. When it comes to true love, distance is relative.
Original post by Reue
Most don't, particularly if it is a school romance who then go off to uni.

A lot do
Original post by ellie145
I think they do.

Opinions?

Why do you think that?
A small % can work but the odds are against you.
Reply 11
I’m currently in one! We have like a 17 mile distance so it’s not that much I’m just worried
I've been in a long distance relationship for nearly four years now - we met online and didn't meet for over six months after we started dating. We see each other maybe six or seven times a year and it works out fine for us. We talk pretty much constantly via text so that's probably why we work so well. Also we have common interests, which makes getting on a lot easier.
They can work.

Depending if they are willing to put the effort in.
If you want it to; and really WANT it to then yes but it’s both people
My partner and I have been together for 8 years long distance, so it definitely can work and stories like ours aren't all that uncommon. She's in the US and I'm in the UK. So it's not a short distance either.

It takes a lot of effort though. A lot of visits, a lot of Skyping, and a lot of patience. Really helps build communication skills. I'm thinking about putting it in my CV :P
Reply 16
Haha I say do it! :smile:
Wow that’s so special! I’m so happy for you, thank you for your advice
Original post by ellie145
I’m currently in one! We have like a 17 mile distance so it’s not that much I’m just worried

Lol.
Reply 18
What haha
Personally I think they'd only work if it's a serious relationship and you remove the long-distance part, for example meeting someone online and starting a relationship then moving in with them; otherwise it's too much hassle for something casual and just seems unnecessary

Quick Reply