Failed everything Watch

Moharis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello

I failed the 1st year of A levels and my school asked me to leave, I then found an apprenticeship in November 2017, however, 7 months in they fired me for not communicating with my team, therefore 2 years of my life wasted

I want to do a 90 credit 1 year BTEC course, my dream is to go to uni what are my options, I can't do a 2 year course as ill be 2 years behind, I will be starting this course in September 2018, will this be enough to get me into uni for the September 2019? Which uni will accept me?
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You definitely can do a 2 year course. I’m assuming you’re young like 18? Our generation won’t even get a state pension till we are like 75 and finally allowed to retire so don’t worry about time. You’ve got literal decades left. I’m 21 and going to uni in September after finally finding what I’m passionate about (nursing)
Moharis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Milax1x)
You definitely can do a 2 year course. I’m assuming you’re young like 18? Our generation won’t even get a state pension till we are like 75 and finally allowed to retire so don’t worry about time. You’ve got literal decades left. I’m 21 and going to uni in September after finally finding what I’m passionate about (nursing)
Im 18, i want to go uni by 19, anything i can do in one year, to get enough credits?
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You could do an access course university!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Milax1x
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Moharis)
Im 18, i want to go uni by 19, anything i can do in one year, to get enough credits?
Well you can do an access course in 8 months but they’re very intense and hard work. Why are you in such a rush?
Moharis
Rep:
?
Well you can do an access course in 8 months but they’re very intense and hard work. Why are you in such a rush?
I'm in a rush as I just wanna stop wasting time, last 2 years been a complete waste of time
TheJohnM
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hello

I failed the 1st year of A levels and my school asked me to leave, I then found an apprenticeship in November 2017, however, 7 months in they fired me for not communicating with my team, therefore 2 years of my life wasted

I want to do a 90 credit 1 year BTEC course, my dream is to go to uni what are my options, I can't do a 2 year course as ill be 2 years behind, I will be starting this course in September 2018, will this be enough to get me into uni for the September 2019? Which uni will accept me?
Do an acces
I'm in a rush as I just wanna stop wasting time, last 2 years been a complete waste of time
Intense?

I didn’t do alevels and breezed though mine. It’s only intense if you need all distinctions for your chosen uni.
Milax1x
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by TheJohnM)

Intense?

I didn’t do alevels and breezed though mine. It’s only intense if you need all distinctions for your chosen uni.
Which access did you do? I did health sciences and had to do 10 biology assignments 8 psychology, 8 sociology, 2 maths and 3 study skills all in 8 months.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Do an acces

Intense?

Many students will only settle for the best, i more or less got all distinctions on mine. And it's harder mostly because of A) the amount of work you have to do in the short amount of time, and B) a lot of Access students have families and other life commitments. (My experience anyway)
TheJohnM
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Which access did you do? I did health sciences and had to do 10 biology assignments 8 psychology, 8 sociology, 2 maths and 3 study skills all in 8 months.
Business and technology. All the access courses have 3 mark and 6 mark assignments and only 45 are level 3(the other 15 is capped at a pass). With that said, you couldn’t of had that many because half of the assignments are 6 credits.
TheJohnM
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by random_matt)
Many students will only settle for the best, i more or less got all distinctions on mine. And it's harder mostly because of A) the amount of work you have to do in the short amount of time, and B) a lot of Access students have families and other life commitments. (My experience anyway)
Yeah... I was happy with half distinctions half merits. I only needed 12 distinctions to get into the university of Nottingham.
Milax1x
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Business and technology. All the access courses have 3 mark and 6 mark assignments and only 45 are level 3(the other 15 is capped at a pass). With that said, you couldn’t of had that many because half of the assignments are 6 credits.
Erm no they’re not. We had 2 6 credit units. One for psychology and one for sociology. Maths was unmarked, first sociology unit unmarked and I’m almost certain all the study skills ones were too.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I had to assign 60 credits at level 3, must be different with other colleges.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You could completely skip college and A levels and do a degree with the Open University. You could even just do the first year, get 120 credits, then apply to another university if you want the uni experience and move to a campus. Having 120 credits at degree level is above A levels and shows you can achieve at that level. I have heard of many people doing this option.
TheJohnM
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Erm no they’re not. We had 2 6 credit units. One for psychology and one for sociology. Maths was unmarked, first sociology unit unmarked and I’m almost certain all the study skills ones were too.
The unmark assignments don’t count. They are level 2 and GCSEs are harder. Far from intense.

We had like 4 6 credit assignments and the 3 credit assignments could be completed at distinction level in 2 nights.
angelofessence
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey there OP! I did the 90-credit BTEC diploma some years ago and then the extended ful diploma the following year. The college made us do that so in case students left after one year they would at least have the 90 credit diploma. Anyhow to answer your question I'm pretty sure I saw some uni's accept the 90 credit alone however the options were very limited and far few between. Definitely go for the full diploma! I'm 23 and just about to start uni in September so there is definitely no such thing as falling behind or being too old! Yeah sure I wasted a couple of years and made some mistakes but I've paid for them and am now finally moving forwards. It's what life does to us at times, there's no stopping it! So to summarise I think you should definitely do the full diploma so you can have more options available to you, time is definitely not an issue! I wish you all the best OP.
Milax1x
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The unmark assignments don’t count. They are level 2 and GCSEs are harder. Far from intense.

We had like 4 6 credit assignments and the 3 credit assignments could be completed at distinction level in 2 nights.
You must of been on a very different course then because to get distinctions required a lot more than 2 nights work for us.
TheJohnM
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You must of been on a very different course then because to get distinctions required a lot more than 2 nights work for us.
A 3 credit one would take 2 night(10 hours) to get a distinction. I remember spending like 30 hours to get a distinction on my 6 credit database assignment.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
There's no such thing as being "2 years behind" at uni. People of all ages go to uni. Don't take a different path just because of the time it takes. If you want to do something, do it, and you will be glad of it later.
chieula2301
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Currently 19 and I’ll be in uni by 20
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads