johnsmithen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
is it easy to get a 2.1. in exams at a RG uni? or do you need to put a lot of effort in? what about a 1st, is that easy?
SkyRunner61
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a general rule, it takes a lot of work to get a 2.1 let alone a 1st regardless of the university
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'll let you know in July/August next year. I transferred into 2nd year, and so have a benchmark from a non RG.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by johnsmithen)
is it easy to get a 2.1. in exams at a RG uni? or do you need to put a lot of effort in? what about a 1st, is that easy?
About a half* of all students get a 2:1, and many (about a quarter) get a 1st. Yes, like for anything, you need to put the effort in to get the necessary result.

*Although these are averages and the actual rates vary by course and university. The "RG" bit isn't relevant.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's pretty easy at lower ranked unis/unis with relatively lower entry requirements but very, very hard at unis where most students have achieved AAB-A*AA+ in their a-levels. legitimately, unless you are a genius, don't **** around in the latter.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No degree, wherever you study, is easy. They all require a lot of work, effort and commitment.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
About a half* of all students get a 2:1, and many (about a quarter) get a 1st. Yes, like for anything, you need to put the effort in to get the necessary result.

*Although these are averages and the actual rates vary by course and university. The "RG" bit isn't relevant.
different intakes have different abilities though.. at Oxford or LSE getting a 2:1 means you are achieving similarly to many people who got A*A*A+ in their exams beforehand. at Liverpool John Moores or Bolton you're achieving similarly (unless you get a very high first) to someone with BCC-CCC or less at a-level.
Terry Tibbs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends, so far I've averaged a 2:1 for three years in a physics degree, and for the most part I learnt entire modules within a week of the exam.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
different intakes have different abilities though.. at Oxford or LSE getting a 2:1 means you are achieving similarly to many people who got A*A*A+ in their exams beforehand. at Liverpool John Moores or Bolton you're achieving similarly (unless you get a very high first) to someone with BCC-CCC or less at a-level.
And fewer get a 1st at LJM (25.8%) and Bolton (19.7%) than Oxford (33.9%).

And I think you will find a good number of AAA+ students at both LJM and Bolton. 138 points at LJM, their average UCAS entry tariff, is AAB
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

And I think you will find a good number of AAA+ students at both LJM and Bolton. 138 points at LJM, their average UCAS entry tariff, is AAB
oh definitely.. but they're in the minority.

all it takes is a quick look at the distribution of points (rather than the average because that's misleading) for different subjects picked at random in unistats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sexybadman
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
So a 2:1 in a course like pharmacy at ljm is equivalent to BCC at A level? Damn thats sad
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sexybadman)
So a 2:1 in a course like pharmacy at ljm is equivalent to BCC at A level? Damn thats sad
Nope. A pharmacist employing you won't care if your 2:1 is from LJM or Nottingham.

And 44% of LJM Pharmacy students have AAA or better.
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/entr...3391/ReturnTo/
(Princepieman )

But only 19% get a 1st.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Therefore, it is easier to get a first at Oxford than at LJM or Bolton.

... What point are you making?
Sexybadman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope. A pharmacist employing you won't care if your 2:1 is from LJM or Nottingham.

And 44% of LJM Pharmacy students have AAA or better.
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/entr...3391/ReturnTo/
(Princepieman )

But only 19% get a 1st.
Exactly so wtf is he on about bcc is a 2:1
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
Therefore, it is easier to get a first at Oxford than at LJM or Bolton.

... What point are you making?
I was replying to Princepieman's assertion that it's easier at "lower" ranked universities. See the LJM example.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sexybadman)
Exactly so wtf is he on about bcc is a 2:1
But they aren't equivalent. Folks with BCC may end up getting a 1st, and those with AAA may get a 2:2.
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Although I won't write off any university as 'easy' without seeing their course content and exam papers, I recently found out through helping someone with their classification, that if I had the exact same results there as I did at Bath my 2:1 would be a 1st due to how they award grades (and try to get everyone as high a grade as possible...). Slightly disappointing that this is the case but wouldn't make me reconsider university choices.

Slightly more to the point, getting a 2:1 isn't easy. It'd be easy if that's what grade you'd be looking at if you did little to no work, but this is not the case. A lot of people might be awarded 2:1s and above but that may be because they've survived 3+ years, as opposed to people who drop out in the first or second year.
PrinceAli
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah a good rule of thumb is if your course requires AAA or higher, it'll be feckin hard
Sexybadman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But they aren't equivalent. Folks with BCC may end up getting a 1st, and those with AAA may get a 2:2.
Oh nice one that makes more sense. Cheers man
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was replying to Princepieman's assertion that it's easier at "lower" ranked universities. See the LJM example.
Wait, are you actually saying that it's harder to get a first at LJM than at Oxford because a lower percentage of students actually do?

Because I was kidding, and I thought that would be clear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?