Is uni really easier these days? Watch

johnsmithen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I hear older people like my parents say uni is far easier today than it was in the 70s and 80s etc. Is this actually true? If so, what has made it easier? I can only think of greater accessibility students now have via the internet etc. But are are courses actually easier? I'm talking about RG universities especially.
username4094562
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by johnsmithen)
I hear older people like my parents say uni is far easier today than it was in the 70s and 80s etc. Is this actually true? If so, what has made it easier? I can only think of greater accessibility students now have via the internet etc. But are are courses actually easier? I'm talking about RG universities especially.
I wouldn’t say that they are universally easier. It depends on the person. People who are able to study for long periods of time would probably find it easier than other people.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Older people say everything is easier nowadays because that's the trendy old person thing to do.
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I mean im my area/borough, inner city east london, in the 70's and 80's, it was a **** hole with massively failing schools, I havent looked at the stats but im sure that the number if peoole getting a good education has risen, might also be a reason why old people like to claim UNI is harder now .

I currently go to uni, going into third year, I've know a lot of people that have dropped out, failed or retook a module. Also doing a STEM degree, science has changed but the stuff i learn in my Biochem degree, was probably true in the 70's ( not sure how far we might have got with things, such as NMR research though ). I mean most years at my UNI the topics in the module change , counting on which lecturers are running that module, so almost every year or 4 the course/module chages, so even during the 70's/80's there were no set hard module, that have changed.. its constantly changing.

Are degree easier ? not really TBH souds like your parent are chatting to make themselves feel better about somethng tbh... i mean what makes something easier ? theres no objects way to measure how hard something/ a course is let be honest here.
TheTroll73
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
depends which uni you got to

the likes of oxbridge, definitely no

these new unis that have record low standards, yes because their standards are record low
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In the 1970s only 5% went to uni. If I look at the modules a maths degree covered then and what it covers now at the same uni then a BSc in the 1970s is a MMaths plus half another degree.in OR and Stats,
akbar0123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think it depends on the uni. There are many unis today that weren’t unis but colleges back in the day. Those institutions tend to be less challenging.
999tigger
Report 11 months ago
I would think it is different.

I think there has been steady grade inflation though. That could be a sign of students being genetically smarter or not.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think it's easier to study these days, primarily due to the internet.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Its easier to get into uni because the govt no longer caps places but the syllabus and material is harder because of content inflation.

Constant need to keep the material fresh and include more information means exams get harder. Lecturers are also more accountable these days so there under more pressure to constantly change modules and exam styles just for the sake of it
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Smack)
I think it's easier to study these days, primarily due to the internet.
There's also a lot more stuff you have to know though. If I look at my own subject and compare the literature base any scientist has to be aware of now compared to 50 years ago, there's a massive difference.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Probably is, they had no computers and no internet.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
There's also a lot more stuff you have to know though. If I look at my own subject and compare the literature base any scientist has to be aware of now compared to 50 years ago, there's a massive difference.
I think that depends on the subject, and possibly the institution too. I am not sure if that is something that is uniform across all degrees.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I left school in 1963. People like me didn’t go to uni in those days. I found uni hard because of a lack of decent formal education, not so much because of my age. The content of my degree had a lot of historical stuff in it, which gave me a head start.
pobjoy777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In the 70s and early 80s, only 5% of people went to university.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You lot have far more access to far more information at an earlier age than they ever did. You have access to way more than I did, and I am only 31! This will account for much of it, I suspect.
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
My theory is that the work itself has not got noticeably easier (or harder) but there is almost certainly significant grade inflation. So someone getting 2:1 today might have got a 2:2 30 years ago for the same standard of work.

There is also more get out of jail cards these days I think. In the past, if you screwed up your exams you were out, but now there is more scope for retakes and
mitigating circumstances.
Killerpenguin15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Universities these days capitalise on the the student's want/desire for a better career and, by extension, a better life for themselves as more and more employers recognise the benefits of highly educated people in their labour force. Gone are the days where you could read a subject at university purely because you were naturally interested in it (still happens today, to an extent). Universities today have become more like factories where they pump out highly productive people into the workforce with a greater emphasis on practical education and careers etc.

It's not that degrees per se that have gotten easier, it's the assessment of the students and the resources which they have access to which adds to the illusion of university being easier then, say, 20-30 years ago.
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I can’t really imagine many old people going through uni who also went through uni at 18-25 so it just seems like that typical thing of old people chatting a load of rubbish about stuff they have no clue about. I’ve been told by at least 3 old people (65+) that college is way easier these days when they dropped out of education after high school. Like, erm, stop.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Dont all Older people say stuff like that? Like we probs will about our kids and grandkids?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.47%
No I am happy with my course choice (454)
58.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.88%

Watched Threads