username3643186
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,

I would like to learn Greek at a reasonable level so as to be able to read texts written in Greek (especially Biblical and Classical Greek texts) and was wondering if there is any use in learning Modern Greek instead of Koine or Classical Greek. Are these languages so different that I should dedicate my whole energy towards one of them rather than learn all of them?... What do students at religious studies usually have in their schedule? (I am going to take my first year in history this autumn by the way, but Greek seems to me essential for a historian who wants to read first-hand sources from fields like archaeology and art, though I am most interested in mythology, religion, philosophy and poetry... Surely, I prefer to understand antique Greek texts more than any other texts, because it is the Greeks' most fascinating age.)

Another question is this: Where could I find good sources to learn Greek? Some good forums, any recommended books, websites? I did not find any decent courses or dictionaries on the internet and would like to know more... How do/did you students learn?

Thank you in advance.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not an expert with Greek (Indian languages are my thing) but I expect you ought to begin with Ancient Greek (classical) for your stated purposes and then move to others if/as required.

Reading Greek published by CUP is oft recommended (I have a mate that reads Greek and she reckons it's a must-have) to begin with.
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It sounds to me as if Classical Greek would be your best bet for your purposes. I would suggest Koine to people who are wanting to study anything related to church history.

There are lots of good books for studying Greek. John Taylor's Greek to GCSE Parts 1 and 2 and Greek Beyond GCSE are what I use with my students, but Reading Greek is a good suggestion, too.

I am also a tutor in all things classical, and would be happy to help. Just send me a PM if you are interested in talking further.
username3643186
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (41)
22.91%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (87)
48.6%
I'm unsure (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads