which bond is stronger? Watch

Banshee636
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
List the main types of chemical bonds and describe the weakest one.
Notchu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Covalent bonds, ionic bonds, metallic bonds. I believe covalent bonds are the weakest.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Banshee636
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Notchu)
Covalent bonds, ionic bonds, metallic bonds. I believe covalent bonds are the weakest.
Reason please??
I keep getting mixed answers; I'm so confused.
Notchu
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Banshee636)
Reason please??
I keep getting mixed answers; I'm so confused.
Actually, I might be wrong, covalent bonds aren’t necessarily weaker. The covalent bond itself is not weak but the intermolecular forces are compared to the attraction of maybe an ionic bond. However, covalent bonds are actually bonded together whereas ionic compound are merely attractions between opposite charges. If I’m not wrong, I think it is confusing since there is no exact answer, some covalent bonds are strong compared to some ionic ones let’s say - but I think this works vice versa as well. Then again, there’s a high chance I am wrong.
catechin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Covalent bonding: electrostatic attraction between two nuclei and a shared pair of electrons.

Metallic bonding: electrostatic attraction between positive metal ions and a sea of their delocalised electrons surrounding them

Ionic bonding: electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions.

Looking at the lattice enthalpy of NaCl (containing ionic bonds) and the bond enthalpy of the c-c bond, you will see that the lattice enthalpy of NaCl is higher. Whilst this may not be a perfect comparison, you can see that in this case the ionic bond is significantly higher (787kj per mol compared to 384kj per mol). In this case ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds, and I think this will true with most cases when you’re talking about the individual bonds. Metallic bonds are weaker than ionic but stronger than covalent on average.

However when talking on a molecular level, it is common knowledge that diamond has the highest melting point, yet this has covalent bonds! This means that on a larger scale, the structure of an element comes into play a lot more, as in diamond the molecule has a giant covalent lattice structure. You must take into account the structure of the molecule in order to answer the question. It would be worth going on to chemguide and researching structure and bonding for yourself in order to learn fully about it, start here: https://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/structsmenu.html#top

Hope this helps a bit
Notchu
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by catechin)
Covalent bonding: electrostatic attraction between two nuclei and a shared pair of electrons.

Metallic bonding: electrostatic attraction between positive metal ions and a sea of their delocalised electrons surrounding them

Ionic bonding: electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions.

Looking at the lattice enthalpy of NaCl (containing ionic bonds) and the bond enthalpy of the c-c bond, you will see that the lattice enthalpy of NaCl is higher. Whilst this may not be a perfect comparison, you can see that in this case the ionic bond is significantly higher (787kj per mol compared to 384kj per mol). In this case ionic bonds are stronger than covalent bonds, and I think this will true with most cases when you’re talking about the individual bonds. Metallic bonds are weaker than ionic but stronger than covalent on average.

However when talking on a molecular level, it is common knowledge that diamond has the highest melting point, yet this has covalent bonds! This means that on a larger scale, the structure of an element comes into play a lot more, as in diamond the molecule has a giant covalent lattice structure. You must take into account the structure of the molecule in order to answer the question. It would be worth going on to chemguide and researching structure and bonding for yourself in order to learn fully about it, start here: https://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/structsmenu.html#top

Hope this helps a bit
Woah thank you ))
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.5%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.37%