The Student Room Group

Veggie gf makes travelling impossible

I've been with my girlfriend nearly 2 years, and one thing that's starting to annoy me is how fussy with food she is. She's vegetarian anyway but doesn't eat mushrooms, aubergine, halloumi, etc. It makes it impossible to travel anywhere and I never get a say in where we eat.

We went to Paris last year for 5 days. We went out for dinner at an Indian restaurant once, and had pizza the rest of the time.

We're going to Prague soon and theres this really nice restaurant up a tower I'd like to visit. She thought it looked amazing so we booked it. The she looked at the menu and decided nothing on there looked nice. It is quite a recurring theme that she wont go anywhere until she's looked at a menu and found 1 of about 5 things she eats.

It makes it feel like I'm missing out on experience and being able to travel, and she doesn't seem to care or compromise. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my girlfriend nearly 2 years, and one thing that's starting to annoy me is how fussy with food she is. She's vegetarian anyway but doesn't eat mushrooms, aubergine, halloumi, etc. It makes it impossible to travel anywhere and I never get a say in where we eat.

We went to Paris last year for 5 days. We went out for dinner at an Indian restaurant once, and had pizza the rest of the time.

We're going to Prague soon and theres this really nice restaurant up a tower I'd like to visit. She thought it looked amazing so we booked it. The she looked at the menu and decided nothing on there looked nice. It is quite a recurring theme that she wont go anywhere until she's looked at a menu and found 1 of about 5 things she eats.

It makes it feel like I'm missing out on experience and being able to travel, and she doesn't seem to care or compromise. What should I do?

Compromise or find someone else.
Its ok if she is fussy and doesnt want to eat there, but explore a few veg restaurants and also if you want the dining experience then just go on your own for the meal. You might enjoy the peace.
You should be saying this to her not us
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Compromise or find someone else.
Its ok if she is fussy and doesnt want to eat there, but explore a few veg restaurants and also if you want the dining experience then just go on your own for the meal. You might enjoy the peace.

I think I do compromise. When I've been out with her family (and they make me eat veggie) I just order something and bear it. I'm not a massive indian fan and don't like chickpeas or lentils, so I have naan, bagjis, some aloo and just get on with it.

I said we could go to some veggie restaurants and she can pick places to eat. But occasionally it would be nice to go to some local places and for me to eat things I enjoy. At the least she could order a salad, some chips and some sides and then a dessert; no more than what I do at veggie places with her. But she wouldn't have it...

Equally, I don't really enjoy eating by myself! :biggrin:
I think I do compromise. When I've been out with her family (and they make me eat veggie) I just order something and bear it. I'm not a massive indian fan and don't like chickpeas or lentils, so I have naan, bagjis, some aloo and just get on with it.

I said we could go to some veggie restaurants and she can pick places to eat. But occasionally it would be nice to go to some local places and for me to eat things I enjoy. At the least she could order a salad, some chips and some sides and then a dessert; no more than what I do at veggie places with her. But she wouldn't have it...

yes 25% veggie or her choice. 50% menu for both 25% your choice.
Honestly if it was such an attraction id go myself and leave her to have pizza. You dont need someone to hold your hand for a meal and she would only complain.
Her parents make you eat veggie? That's...weird

Tbh it sounds like you're actually thinking of her diet and trying to find places that cater for the both of you but she doesn't seem to want to compromise and it's a point-blank "no" to pretty much everything you pick, which is unfair
Reply 6
Allow her

Don't limit yourself bro
I don't eat seafood. My gf would love to go eat seafood a lot more often :biggrin:
She needs to learn to compromise and not limit herself like that.
There was a thread like this last year.
Where a guy was getting annoyed because his GF is a vegetarian. So the idea was to give her meat.
Fussy eaters are generally unbearable people: close-minded, conceited and spoiled.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sounds horrible.

So you expect her to go somewhere you want and eat side dishes. Even though you say that's what you do at her places, even though there's nothing stopping you eating everything there? You both sound awkward to be honest. You need to sit down and discuss properly before it gets worse. It's not fair on either of you to eat rubbish options when out. But you sound just as picky as her to be honest, maybe that's why it's an issue, as you wound as bad as each other.
Call me Shallow, but a girl has to be something for me to go out with a Vegetarian/Vegan.

-Fellow Meat eater.

Have a talk to her about it and see if you can work something out.
I'm a pretty fussy veggie myself, but it was a pain for bf (and me) being so limited with where we eat so I've tried to get more into the classic veggie options or find ways to work around meat dishes (like asking for a chicken pasta with no chicken). We also tend to go for more family friendly places (that's just our style) which makes it easier to find a place we can both do. So on the whole he compromises by going to a place I can adapt items from and I compromise by adapting things. Honestly any place that serves pasta or pizza of any type should be able to make a veggie version with no cheese or mushroom. You just need to ask.
It takes a bit of effort and compromise on both parts, but you should be able to find a balance where both of you are reasonably happy with where you eat and can enjoy the experience.
It's okay for you to want to have a bit more excitement and choice with food. It doesn't have to mean her going hungry or compromising her veggie choice. Talk to her about it.

Do you want to spend the rest of your life bowing to her silly fussiness. No - thought not ditch her
She needs to compromise and grow up. I'm kosher vegetarian, but it has never been an issue when eating out with all my friends who have no dietary requirements. If she is not willing to compromise, that is an indication of emotional immaturity and selfishness, and why would you want to date somebody like that?
dude see if u love her u just gotta ignore it or since its irritating u it seems u need to talk it through nd make her understand the situation.....so u both can maybe go at a restaurant with both veg options for her and nonveg for u well only if u r nonveg idk that.... otherwise if there is no result in talking it out and this thing is killin u and u dont love her enough to ignore this then find someone right for u...

Dump her
I’m a bit of a fussy eater and although it can be difficult travelling there are things you can do to manage it. One of the best things I realised was to always try and stay somewhere that’s self catering, or at least a hostel with a kitchen - that way you can pick up a few basics at a supermarket and then your girlfriend can make herself something to eat before you go out then it doesn’t matter so much if she doesn’t find anything she likes - she can just get a side and a dessert.

Also try and compromise, maybe explain you’d love to go to this place, but you’re happy to eat pizza another night. Don’t let it spoil your holiday!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending