Perera99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I already had a windows pc it sometimes had malware so i format it also even i put a good security guard like kaspersky it had virus problems also it slows the machine so even though the virus guards had constant updates sometimes viruses infect your computer and im thinking to buy a mac laptop for my university this January but there are good window laptops like dell xps 15. The problem is do all the windows laptops are the same virus magnets and malware ? Also i have a freind who has a macbook he don’t have virus guards,or any kind of software also the machine don’t slow down a bit . I know that mac os is better virus free.
Whats your opinion on this whether i choose mac over windows due to malware and virus issues pls help me guys.....
ppl1cker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
just dont download **** or **** anti viruses just use the default windows defender.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have to be a complete tool getting malware/viruses even after have a decent AV software. Stop going on dodgy websites and clicking links randomly.
Fluffybunneh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by random_matt)
You have to be a complete tool getting malware/viruses even after have a decent AV software. Stop going on dodgy websites and clicking links randomly.
Suspiciously enough, I was going to reply to your comment to say I agreed. But before I could finish typing my reply, a dodgy site loaded to say that my anti-virus needed to be renewed.

I dunno if that's ironic or what? 😂

//
But yeah, the only way one could get malware/virus is through downloading it into your system. And the only way that can happen is through going onto weird sites and clicking their links. Even Macs are susceptible to viruses, just less than windows.

I use a windows system and my laptop has been fine since the day I got it. All you just need is a decent anti-virus and don't go clicking on random links. Hell, even windows defender is decent enough, but that's as long as you DON'T CLICK SUSPICIOUS LINKS.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fluffybunneh)
Suspiciously enough, I was going to reply to your comment to say I agreed. But before I could finish typing my reply, a dodgy site loaded to say that my anti-virus needed to be renewed.

I dunno if that's ironic or what? 😂

//
But yeah, the only way one could get malware/virus is through downloading it into your system. And the only way that can happen is through going onto weird sites and clicking their links. Even Macs are susceptible to viruses, just less than windows.

I use a windows system and my laptop has been fine since the day I got it. All you just need is a decent anti-virus and don't go clicking on random links. Hell, even windows defender is decent enough, but that's as long as you DON'T CLICK SUSPICIOUS LINKS.
Had something like that occur on my MacBook, a random page came up saying I had a virus, click here to get rid of it. Of course it was complete ********, went through a scan anyway. I recommend ESET myself, always looks after my gaming rig.
umfairyliquid
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're worried about viruses get a Mac because it's a lot harder to get a virus on a Mac - it's also a lot more obvious. Also download Malwarebytes as that's the best anti-malware program I've ever come across - completely trustworthy and reliable and works on both Windows and Mac. That said, you can get a Windows laptop too - depends on what you use it for. For Windows computers do weekly scans with Windows Defender if you're concerned. Also don't download any dodgy crap and ignore all popup ads saying you're infected.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it is worth getting something like cryptoprevent which stops your files being locked up by ransomware. it has worked for me
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Harder to get viruses on mac because they arent targeted as much, so fewer are written.
OS is no more secure.
What Acsel said was spot on, its about your behaviour and using some common sense.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
it is worth getting something like cryptoprevent which stops your files being locked up by ransomware. it has worked for me
Malwarebytes is the trusty cryptopreventor for me - although you have to pay for that feature unfortunately.

OP, MacOS will not save you from a virus/malware at all - there’s just a little less coded for MacOS than there is Windows.

Anti-viruses I’ve discovered recently are a load of garbage, Windows Defender these days is actually pretty good compared to most paid anti-viruses.

Don’t go on dodgy websites = no dodgy software.
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stop downloading minecraft hacks and your pc will be back up to 30fps in no time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (77)
37.2%
I really love the subject (53)
25.6%
I don't know what else to do (26)
12.56%
I can't get a job (15)
7.25%
My parents want me to (5)
2.42%