AQA A-Level Physics Year 2 - Radioactivity question

Watch
12westlada
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I need help with the following question:

The energy source for a remote weather station is the radioactive isotope of strontium 90/38 Sr which has a half-life of 28 years. It emits beta particles of energy 0.40 MeV. For a mass of 10g of this isotope, calculate:

i) its activity
ii) the energy released per second

i) For this question I managed to successfully obtain 5.2 x 10^13 using the radioactivity equations
ii) For this question I think you need to use the energy of 1 beta particle at 0.4 MeV but I'm not sure on how to get the value to be per second or which equation(s) to use.

Help is much appreciated.
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The activity multiplied by the energy of the beta particle will equal the energy emitted per second
12westlada
Rep:
?
(Original post by alevelphysicist)
The activity multiplied by the energy of the beta particle will equal the energy emitted per second
Oh yes had missed that many thanks
12westlada
Rep:
?
Do you have any ideas for this question?

The radioactive isotope of iodine, 131/53 I, is used for medical diagnosis of the kidneys. A sample of the isotope is to be given to a patient in a glass of water. The passage of the isotope through each kidney is then monitored using two detectors outside the body.

i) The reading from the detector near one of the patient's kidneys rises then falls. The reading from the other detector which is near the other kidney rises and does not fall. Discuss the conclusions that can be drawn from these observations.
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 12westlada)
Do you have any ideas for this question?

The radioactive isotope of iodine, 131/53 I, is used for medical diagnosis of the kidneys. A sample of the isotope is to be given to a patient in a glass of water. The passage of the isotope through each kidney is then monitored using two detectors outside the body.

i) The reading from the detector near one of the patient's kidneys rises then falls. The reading from the other detector which is near the other kidney rises and does not fall. Discuss the conclusions that can be drawn from these observations.
Well in one kidney, the iodine entering the kidney and then passing through, which would probably indicate that this kidney was working correctly. Whereas in the other kidney, there is not a reduction and hence this kidney is not able to filter out the iodine after it enters the kidney and so is probably failing.
12westlada
Rep:
?
Well in one kidney, the iodine entering the kidney and then passing through, which would probably indicate that this kidney was working correctly. Whereas in the other kidney, there is not a reduction and hence this kidney is not able to filter out the iodine after it enters the kidney and so is probably failing.
Oh yes great many thanks
Shirli
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do you work out the activity?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads