The Student Room Group

Constant TC rejection

I don't quite know why I'm baring my soul like this but at this moment in time I am feeling very vulnerable.
I have spent the best part of 8 years applying for a TC and I still have not gotten an offer. I spent 4.5 years working in a magic circle firm as a paralegal where internal TC applications were not considered. Despite this, I managed to get two interviews (2 years apart) for a TC with them to no avail. The last one really hurt because the partner that interviewed me gave me a half hearted feedback and shrugged her shoulders saying "Basically, you are a lawyer and you have more potential than most people I have interviewed but I guess you didn't bring it in the interview".
I actually broke down and cried in the room and she politely told me she had work to be getting on with and I had to run back to my desk and hide my tear stained face from the see through doors in the firm.

I left that firm last year and joined a regulator. A few months ago I applied for a TC with them and last week got through the final round. Only a handful of people got to interview. The interview was tough and technical but I had hoped I had shown enough promise and potential in my answers that would result in an offer (for once!). But no. Just got told a few minutes ago through my line manager that I had been unsuccessful and that if I wanted feedback I would have to ask for it from 4 different people but that I had generally interviewed well.

I'm just so tired and upset with the whole process and I can't find the energy to carry on. Everyone that was searching for a TC with me has now got one. I am the only one who has failed and I get so many comments and question as to why I can't get one.

I feel so devastated and right now, so broken. This TC would have been perfect as I would have been able to start ASAP and go on an external secondment to my old law firm if I wished (and potentially join them as a qualifiled lawyer).

Everyone says it's a numbers game but for me, it seems impossible. And the feedback I get generally suggests I did well just didn't shine at times.

Where do I go from here? I want to re-apply but is there any point in doing it for another year of rejection? I have no career ambition at this moment.
Original post by Aslegal
I don't quite know why I'm baring my soul like this but at this moment in time I am feeling very vulnerable.
I have spent the best part of 8 years applying for a TC and I still have not gotten an offer. I spent 4.5 years working in a magic circle firm as a paralegal where internal TC applications were not considered. Despite this, I managed to get two interviews (2 years apart) for a TC with them to no avail. The last one really hurt because the partner that interviewed me gave me a half hearted feedback and shrugged her shoulders saying "Basically, you are a lawyer and you have more potential than most people I have interviewed but I guess you didn't bring it in the interview".
I actually broke down and cried in the room and she politely told me she had work to be getting on with and I had to run back to my desk and hide my tear stained face from the see through doors in the firm.

I left that firm last year and joined a regulator. A few months ago I applied for a TC with them and last week got through the final round. Only a handful of people got to interview. The interview was tough and technical but I had hoped I had shown enough promise and potential in my answers that would result in an offer (for once!). But no. Just got told a few minutes ago through my line manager that I had been unsuccessful and that if I wanted feedback I would have to ask for it from 4 different people but that I had generally interviewed well.

I'm just so tired and upset with the whole process and I can't find the energy to carry on. Everyone that was searching for a TC with me has now got one. I am the only one who has failed and I get so many comments and question as to why I can't get one.

I feel so devastated and right now, so broken. This TC would have been perfect as I would have been able to start ASAP and go on an external secondment to my old law firm if I wished (and potentially join them as a qualifiled lawyer).

Everyone says it's a numbers game but for me, it seems impossible. And the feedback I get generally suggests I did well just didn't shine at times.

Where do I go from here? I want to re-apply but is there any point in doing it for another year of rejection? I have no career ambition at this moment.

That’s tough, I’m sorry to hear that. I would try to get that feedback, even if you must pester those four people.

You have a lot going for you –- you have far more relevant work experience than most candidates, and clearly, you were good enough to get interviews at both of those places. It’s hard to say without more information, but I suspect it’s a case of tweaking your applications and interview technique.

I suggest you hold off on making any big decisions about your future just yet. Give yourself some time first. After that, you can have a think about whether you want to re-apply. While I’ve seen students secure training contracts after 4/5+ years of applying, it is tough, and you may decide it’s not something you want to go through again and there’s nothing wrong with that.
Reply 2
Original post by Perseverance
That’s tough, I’m sorry to hear that. I would try to get that feedback, even if you must pester those four people.

You have a lot going for you –- you have far more relevant work experience than most candidates, and clearly, you were good enough to get interviews at both of those places. It’s hard to say without more information, but I suspect it’s a case of tweaking your applications and interview technique.

I suggest you hold off on making any big decisions about your future just yet. Give yourself some time first. After that, you can have a think about whether you want to re-apply. While I’ve seen students secure training contracts after 4/5+ years of applying, it is tough, and you may decide it’s not something you want to go through again and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Thank you :smile: I do very much appreciate your kind response.

Right now it just seems like I constantly get to the final round and can never make it past that. I don't know anyone who has been through this for this amount of time, by now people receive offers. I've almost run out of places to apply to!

The feedback I receive is just as frustrating. Always a "you show great potential but it just didn't work out this time". If it was something concrete that I could work on, at least I could feel like I would have some control. At this point I can't face turning another year older having still failed.
Reply 3
Original post by Aslegal
I have no career ambition at this moment.

This, and your confidence is probably holding you back. Why don't you take a year out from applying, consider your options and then come back again. I almost get the feeling that you have already resigned yourself to failing before you have even applied. This will show at some point in the assessment process.

You worked for a law firm before, rather than asking for 'feedback', are you familiar enough with anyone who interviewed you to get some brutal, honest feedback? That may be the only way you truly find out what is going wrong. No-one on official feedback is going to say you were useless, this question you completely messed up, you looked a state etc... they will just give you the corporate line. Get honest feedback, work on it, come back stronger!

We all face rejection at some point in our lives, some more than others.. but hard work and perseverance can overcome it.
Reply 4
Original post by DCDCo
I almost get the feeling that you have already resigned yourself to failing before you have even applied.

I have to say, I think this might be the case. It's not a conscious act but in the back of my mind I always sense rejection. It's because the career means so much to me and I have experienced rejection so much that the painful experiences always linger.
So when I am in an interview, despite having almost always reached the final stage, I just hear the "no". I thought I had learned to use this to push me to succeed but it hasn't.
Original post by Aslegal

See what feedback you get from the others first and then I will see if I can add anything.

Things come to mind though:

1. Sell by date. The idea that after a certain amount of time trying you are passed over for newer and more recent grads.
2. How many applications have you made a year, interviews have you had and where are you applying. It strikes me you need to rethink your target market and application process. It has probably made it more difficult for you to qualify.
3. You need some honest advice and feedback on your interview technique, it is lacking in some way.
4. The regulator sounds great and my hunch is to stay and try again the following year, but make sure you are improved.
5. Obviously you feel depressed, hopeless downbeaten etc, so just have a rest , then pick yourself up and brush yourself off.
6. Not the time to feel sorry for yourself. What you dont see is all the others who have given up. You either want it enough or you dont.

Maybe JSP will be kind enough to make some suggestions.

I can definitely say you are by no means at the bottom of the pile and other people have overcome more. Plenty of time left to make it, just work out how to improve.
Reply 6
So sorry to hear that. However, I agree with everyone else.

Take a break from it all, pick yourself up and make a plan. First things first, get that feedback. Like DCDCo mentioned, if you have an established rapport with these interviewers, ask for more in-depth/ brutally honest feedback. It is so hard to know how to improve without knowing what exactly it is you need to improve. It may be something minor but it will make all the difference next time, and you'll be able to make sure that no one will give that same feedback ever again. Forget about how long you have been applying or how many rejections you have had. It will be difficult but you need to build your confidence back and believe in your skills, experience and ability. Figure out what it is that helps you to build confidence, whether working out, affirmations etc. You have potential and you are good enough, it is just about fully convincing them to invest. You are so close, many people haven't even been offered an interview yet and you're getting to the last round.

You seem to have a lot of valuable experience to just keep brushing up on the structure/STAR side of things, maybe mention stats in your competency examples and try to relax and show your personality.

Another thing to remember is that with some of these firms/companies that have rejected you, you may have actually dodged a bullet in some way, they may not have been a good fit for you. I hope I can give some more encouragement/advice once you are able to get some more specific feedback.
Agree with comments above. Nothing worthwhile comes easy. I know so many friends with stellar academics, language skills, experience, and confidence but they still had to slog it out. Keep buggering on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest