The Student Room Group

I do BIO CHEM AND MATHS but want to do accounting at uni???!!

so guys im going into year 13 and our teachers told us to start writing our personal statements during the summer. i initially wanted to do medicine but i got ABB instead of 3A'S for my 'predictions'

plus im not really interested in medicine anymore so gap year is out of the question. Ive recently taken part in accoutning taster courses and i reallly really enjoyed it and an accountant seems like a career i would see myself comfortable and happy with.

but as i dont take any business related subjects i dont really understand any of the terms they use. i only get a bit of tax becasue it was explained in the taster course.

im just really confused and im not sure what i can write about my subjects relating to accounting and what i gained out of them.im just stuck on the things i can include in my personal statement!!

help would really be appreciated :smile: pls dont mind my crappy grammar lol
Original post by shamzy18
so guys im going into year 13 and our teachers told us to start writing our personal statements during the summer. i initially wanted to do medicine but i got ABB instead of 3A'S for my 'predictions'

plus im not really interested in medicine anymore so gap year is out of the question. Ive recently taken part in accoutning taster courses and i reallly really enjoyed it and an accountant seems like a career i would see myself comfortable and happy with.

but as i dont take any business related subjects i dont really understand any of the terms they use. i only get a bit of tax becasue it was explained in the taster course.

im just really confused and im not sure what i can write about my subjects relating to accounting and what i gained out of them.im just stuck on the things i can include in my personal statement!!

I can totally relate! I do those same 3 subjects cus I planned to do medicine but now I want to do economics. You don't actually have to write about how your subjects relate to accounting, you just need to show how passionate you are to do the course at uni. Have a look at some example Personal Statements of successful applicants which should help you to see how it should look like.

I hope that helped and good luck:h:
Reply 2
I wouldn't talk at all about your subjects unless you're studying a course that is directly related. About your A-levels you should mention the more general skills you have developed such as organisation skills etc.

Just write about why you are interested in accounting: books you've read, tasters courses, work experience/shadowing, talk about specific examples (maybe something in the news/magazine related to accounting that you thought was interesting).

Its not too late to get a couple of weeks of work experience before school starts, you can even do some part time work experience before you apply in January. Also, read some examples of other students doing similar courses and make note of the range of topics covered and structure, and then make it your own.

Best of luck!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by shamzy18

wow you sound clever

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending