Anne Boleyn - Guilty or Innocent?

Watch
JaydorIV
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Do you think Anne Boleyn was in fact guilty of incest, adultery, treason and witchcraft? and what reason/evidence do you have for it?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Probably innocent as it was common for the time to invent a crime and then torture people or find scapegoats to confess.
JaydorIV
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Probably innocent as it was common for the time to invent a crime and then torture people or find scapegoats to confess.
good point 👍
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JaydorIV)
good point 👍
In terms of AB I thought it was accepted it was all made up for grounds to get the execution.
JaydorIV
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
In terms of AB I thought it was accepted it was all made up for grounds to get the execution.
what's AB?
username3883544
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I agree with others that it was fabricated.
JaydorIV
Rep:
?
(Original post by DSutch)
I agree with others that it was fabricated.
how did you come to that conclusion? is it the same reason at 999tigger?
username4094562
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you think Anne Boleyn was in fact guilty of incest, adultery, treason and witchcraft? and what reason/evidence do you have for it?
Of course she wasn't. All that stuff was made up because of the fact that Henry was upset she couldn't give him a son and needed to find an excuse to end his marriage with her so that he could marry Jane Seymour. Henry was a maniac so didn't care that he was murdering an innocent woman in cold blood.
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what's AB?
I'm guessing it stand for Anne Boleyn?
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
what's AB?
https://www.historyextra.com/period/...n-have-to-die/

There is one Historian who thinks she was guilty, but they are often selling a book or want to make a name for themselves.

Getting confessions under torture was common.
The king getting his way was common.
Scapegoating people was common.
Cheating on the king was going to be a deaths sentence., so big risk.

I would have to investigate again, but logically it is too far a fetch whereas a set up made more sense.
Volkerbund1933
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most likely innocent- The only person closest to being guilty of a 'crime' was Catherine Howard
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah she was defo a witch...
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I doubt it.

There’s some talk (and although this was done fictionally for the film “The Other Boleyn Girl” some people see it as entirely feasible) that the incest was out of fear that she’d be executed if anyone found out she’d miscarried. 🤷🏻*♀️
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
She’s clearly innocent. He was incapable of producing a son and blamed his wives to hide his incompetency then invented crimes to have her executed as divorce was illegal. Even more obvious considering he created his own church so divorce could be made legal.

Also, witchcraft doesn’t even exist so that just shows even more how it’s BS
icygrl
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Innocent. We love a fraudulent, cheating, treachous incest witch!
icequeenTM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
She was a very strong, determined individual who had the courage to question Henry VIII. His administration were threatened by this as they thought they were slowly losing their influence over Henry. As a result, fabricated this idea that she slept with three men including her brother.
Roryroars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No I doubt she was any those things. I think she be framed by Henry because she could not give son and he wanted out of marriage and this way was it.
icequeenTM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Milax1x)
She’s clearly innocent. He was incapable of producing a son and blamed his wives to hide his incompetency then invented crimes to have her executed as divorce was illegal. Even more obvious considering he created his own church so divorce could be made legal.

Also, witchcraft doesn’t even exist so that just shows even more how it’s BS
On your last point, it was the only explanation back then. Not condoning it at all however.
JaydorIV
Rep:
?
majority of you say she's innocent with some good reasons for it too, I guess I've been watching too much TV 😳😳😳😳
JaydorIV
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volkerbund1933)
Most likely innocent- The only person closest to being guilty of a 'crime' was Catherine Howard
true
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
15.31%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (64)
30.62%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.96%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (17)
8.13%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.74%
I think it's an unfair expectation (56)
26.79%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.44%

Watched Threads