number 9 large
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Doing a placement year for my third year at uni in Goole just below York.
I've lived in Nottingham for the past two years so I don't really have an idea of what the area is like.

Is there a specific area where most students live? As i would prefer to live with other students for the social aspect. Will be working a 9-5 Mon-Fri so will probably want to be living with people in second / final year so they're not out late on the weekdays. (not too sure what the nightlife is like in York)

Tl;dr Looking for shared student accommodation, where are good locations to look at regarding social life?
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
KATLAYDEE1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am going York in September for masters and according to my search. Most people live near YO10 postcode (but that's because uni is in that postcode. See where you'll be working and how far it is from uni etc if you want to live with students). You can find a room to rent on spareroom, so they take professionals too.

DM me if you need any further help.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Goole is seen as being a little rough, I wouldn’t choose to live inside Goole if that was ever an option. Basically the further north towards York you get the nicer the area becomes (and the more expensive.) York is a pretty nice place to live, pretty safe. If you’re commuting down to Goole (which is a pretty long way- over an hour in any kind of traffic) then you’ll want to live in the south of York near the uni in Fulford/ Heslington. Lots of students live in these areas whereas Acomb/ around the Knavesmire tend to be full of families. I’m not too sure about the nightlife but I’d imagine that first years will largely be in halls so most people living out will be second/ third year anyway.
number 9 large
Rep:
?
(Original post by KATLAYDEE1)
I am going York in September for masters and according to my search. Most people live near YO10 postcode (but that's because uni is in that postcode. See where you'll be working and how far it is from uni etc if you want to live with students). You can find a room to rent on spareroom, so they take professionals too.

DM me if you need any further help.

Hey, Yeah spareroom has been really good for finding some good options, and it does look like most are YO10.
number 9 large
Rep:
?
(Original post by 899071)
Goole is seen as being a little rough, I wouldn’t choose to live inside Goole if that was ever an option. Basically the further north towards York you get the nicer the area becomes (and the more expensive.) York is a pretty nice place to live, pretty safe. If you’re commuting down to Goole (which is a pretty long way- over an hour in any kind of traffic) then you’ll want to live in the south of York near the uni in Fulford/ Heslington. Lots of students live in these areas whereas Acomb/ around the Knavesmire tend to be full of families. I’m not too sure about the nightlife but I’d imagine that first years will largely be in halls so most people living out will be second/ third year anyway.
Alright thanks for the heads up. Journey length is a good point, have you done the Journey from Goole to Fulford, do you know what it's like?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, lots of times (I live in between the two.) The A19 is fine, Hull Road is a little more awkward (twisty and dark at night.) Traffic around the bottom of York (especially the A19/ Fulford Road and Crockey Hill) can get pretty bad around rush hour though so depending on where you lived that could be an issue. I wouldn’t choose to commute that far myself but it’s definitely feasible if it’s what you want to do.
number 9 large
Rep:
?
(Original post by 899071)
Yes, lots of times (I live in between the two.) The A19 is fine, Hull Road is a little more awkward (twisty and dark at night.) Traffic around the bottom of York (especially the A19/ Fulford Road and Crockey Hill) can get pretty bad around rush hour though so depending on where you lived that could be an issue. I wouldn’t choose to commute that far myself but it’s definitely feasible if it’s what you want to do.
Will bare that in mind thanks mate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (74)
28.14%
England (91)
34.6%
Belgium (20)
7.6%
Germany (33)
12.55%
Spain (3)
1.14%