Epitype
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys,

I'm a second year BSc Biomedical Science student. I've just finished my first year, got my grades and now have a placement/abroad year application coming up.
If you guys have any questions about anything, I'll try my hardest to answer them all.

Thanks,
-Epitype
Calypso Xeno
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello I was wondering how do colleges accept you before they've seen your gcse results? other than your application.
thankyoi
Epitype
Rep:
?
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure by what you mean. When you apply to university, you either already have your GCSE results or if you're retaking, you'll have grade requirements from the university and your predicted grade.
(Original post by Calypso Xeno)
hello I was wondering how do colleges accept you before they've seen your gcse results? other than your application.
thankyoi
Calypso Xeno
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi sorry I meant like when you apply for college /sixth form
Epitype
Rep:
?
They base it on your application, your predicted grades (given by your current school), the references, your interview (if you have one) and if you meet the college's grade requirements at results day (i.e. 8 A*-C with B's in your chosen subjects). You'll then register with your college/sixth form on results day or after results day.
Calypso Xeno
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thankyouu!
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Epitype)
They base it on your application, your predicted grades (given by your current school), the references, your interview (if you have one) and if you meet the college's grade requirements at results day (i.e. 8 A*-C with B's in your chosen subjects). You'll then register with your college/sixth form on results day or after results day.
How intense is biomedical science first year?
Did you have a lot of free time?
Epitype
Rep:
?
I'm not going to lie to you, it was very intense.
The first thing you'll notice is the completely different learning style compared to a-levels, which you'll have to find a way around and get used to it.
I had exams every other week (small multiple choice ones on a computer) which counted towards my final grade. That took up a lot of my time for revision, notes, etc.
I had lab reports every week which took up my weekend, so that didn't help either.
I had a bit of free time at the start (the 1st month), but it slowly was lost after the 1st term.
MiaThaaRealist
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys,

I'm a second year BSc Biomedical Science student. I've just finished my first year, got my grades and now have a placement/abroad year application coming up.
If you guys have any questions about anything, I'll try my hardest to answer them all.

Thanks,
-Epitype
How many hours of lectures did you have and how often were you in the labs per week?
Thanks
ninjass
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I just finished my second year of MMORSE at Warwick so.feel free to ask me any questions on that
ØdeToSleep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve got many questions as I’m hoping to study Sociology at Warwick if I get the grades in August?

How’s the nightlife?
What does freshers week consist of?
What accommodation would you recommend?
Any idea of how lenient they are with missing predicted grades?
How’s your first year been at uni of Warwick?
Your personal pros and cons of Warwick?

You don’t have to answer all
ninjass
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ØdeToSleep)
I’ve got many questions as I’m hoping to study Sociology at Warwick if I get the grades in August?

How’s the nightlife?
What does freshers week consist of?
What accommodation would you recommend?
Any idea of how lenient they are with missing predicted grades?
How’s your first year been at uni of Warwick?
Your personal pros and cons of Warwick?

You don’t have to answer all
Hey!!

NIGHTLIFE - is not the best at Warwick compared to other unis but there is some good clubs at Leamington and stuff so there are things here

FRESHERS WEEK - This September it is the first time at Warwick that they are doing a Week 0, this means that you will have a full week to enjoy freshers before lectures start so you will be in luck in that sense if you come Warwick! Freshers week is what you would expect in terms of what happens, but there is also society and volunteering fair which I would highly recommend you to go!

ACCOMMODATION - I stayed at Arthur Vick in my first year it is probably for me the best accomodation on campus after taking into account price, location, kitchens etc. It really depends on what you want from an accommodation, for example is it essential for you to have en suite? Would you mind walking more than 10 mins to lectures every day? These are factors you need to consider. I wouldn't recommend a specific one as it varies so much from person to person what they want from an accomodation.

GRADES - they may be lenient if you miss your offer by one grade but less so if it's more. But noone knows how they will be until results day, so I don't want to speculate anything. If you miss your offer by one grade then I'd say its 50/50 whether you get in.

FIRST YEAR - was amazing!! There are so much societies and opportunities for you to get involved in and living on campus in the first year means you get a full student experience in the first year! I also did this cool volunteering programme overseas in the summer of first year so that was wonderful as well.

BIGGEST PRO - the socieities!There are so many societies available at Warwick such that I can guarantee that there will be a few that you will enjoy! I would recommend going to the society fair in the first week to see whats on offer

BIGGEST CON - the fact that you can so so easily get caught in the campus bubble. Term is 10 weeks long and it is very easy to stay purely on campus and not get out of campus at all for those 10 weeks. However, it is easy to get out of the campus bubble simply by visiting your friend in another uni in the weekend, or by any other means! But this is one of the big drawbacks of a campus uni imo

Hope this helps! Feel free to pm me if you want me to go into any more depth about anything
ØdeToSleep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ninjass)
Hey!!

NIGHTLIFE - is not the best at Warwick compared to other unis but there is some good clubs at Leamington and stuff so there are things here

FRESHERS WEEK - This September it is the first time at Warwick that they are doing a Week 0, this means that you will have a full week to enjoy freshers before lectures start so you will be in luck in that sense if you come Warwick! Freshers week is what you would expect in terms of what happens, but there is also society and volunteering fair which I would highly recommend you to go!

ACCOMMODATION - I stayed at Arthur Vick in my first year it is probably for me the best accomodation on campus after taking into account price, location, kitchens etc. It really depends on what you want from an accommodation, for example is it essential for you to have en suite? Would you mind walking more than 10 mins to lectures every day? These are factors you need to consider. I wouldn't recommend a specific one as it varies so much from person to person what they want from an accomodation.

GRADES - they may be lenient if you miss your offer by one grade but less so if it's more. But noone knows how they will be until results day, so I don't want to speculate anything. If you miss your offer by one grade then I'd say its 50/50 whether you get in.

FIRST YEAR - was amazing!! There are so much societies and opportunities for you to get involved in and living on campus in the first year means you get a full student experience in the first year! I also did this cool volunteering programme overseas in the summer of first year so that was wonderful as well.

BIGGEST PRO - the socieities!There are so many societies available at Warwick such that I can guarantee that there will be a few that you will enjoy! I would recommend going to the society fair in the first week to see whats on offer

BIGGEST CON - the fact that you can so so easily get caught in the campus bubble. Term is 10 weeks long and it is very easy to stay purely on campus and not get out of campus at all for those 10 weeks. However, it is easy to get out of the campus bubble simply by visiting your friend in another uni in the weekend, or by any other means! But this is one of the big drawbacks of a campus uni imo

Hope this helps! Feel free to pm me if you want me to go into any more depth about anything
Thanks for the helpful response! I hope you enjoy 2nd year and get the placement you want.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:woo:

I've added this to my HUGE list of similar university threads so this one can be more easily found.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not going to lie to you, it was very intense.
The first thing you'll notice is the completely different learning style compared to a-levels, which you'll have to find a way around and get used to it.
I had exams every other week (small multiple choice ones on a computer) which counted towards my final grade. That took up a lot of my time for revision, notes, etc.
I had lab reports every week which took up my weekend, so that didn't help either.
I had a bit of free time at the start (the 1st month), but it slowly was lost after the 1st term.
Professional G, you may not have seen this answer because not quote, so just tagging you here.
calgary123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys,

Thanks,
-Epitype
how competitive are year abroad places?
tskit22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey,honestly, hows the party life in Warwick? Just got in, dont wonna turn into a bookworm...
Big Tato
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tskit22)
hey,honestly, hows the party life in Warwick? Just got in, dont wonna turn into a bookworm...
Like everything, it's what you make of it. There's Pop every Wednesday on campus, School Days twice a term and all the clubs in Coventry and Leamington (and Birmingham if you're really committed).

Some of the clubs put on a bus that picks you up from campus and leaves the club at 3am, included in the ticket price. That's pretty popular.

Societies and sports clubs also occasionally (some more than others) circle before going to Pop or School Days. Circling is just pre-drinking at one of the campus bars or someone's accommodation.

So with all that it's possible to go out every night during the week. For some reason once you get to uni going out on the weekend seems really unattractive. I don't know why.
Blookie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Best accommodation???
wiccked222
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!
I'm looking forward to studying Cyber Security at Warwick in 2019. I am from Slovenia, and well, I'm a bit shy and I don't like going out (clubbing) or drinking, and I was wondering, whether there's still a hope for me to find friends as I've got that image in my head (from what people told me), that universities are all about drinking and partying - my countries universities are very different and I can't really tell how unis in the UK are actually like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (8)
6.9%
They might tell the bully (16)
13.79%
I don't think they'd understand (19)
16.38%
It might lead to more bullying (41)
35.34%
There's nothing they could do (32)
27.59%

Watched Threads