A Level Philosophy & Ethics or Sociology?!

Watch
abull02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am waiting for my GCSE results to come out in 4 weeks and I am trying to work out which A - Levels I want to take.

I love RE which makes me want to take A-Level Philosophy however I think Sociology could also be interesting.

I also want to take English Literature and Geography as I do not know what I want to do in the future so I would like to do one of these ^ A-Levels too. I do not want to take 4 as I think it would be too challenging for me and Philosophy and Sociology are too similar to take both.

Please can anyone who has taken either Philosophy or Sociology tell me what they think of it and if it is interesting.

Thank you!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
TCFactor
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do Edexcel Philosophy and Ethics (+Christianity as the religion I have to study). It's banter. We do our work, joke around and with two classes, each with 9 and 5, it's amazing. If you enjoy it, it'll be fun. And you'll get good grades; you enjoy it.
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
sociology is known to be slightly easier, at least year 1 is. its not as well respected, but its interested and u already have chosen 2 facilitating subjects so sociology would be fine. what do u wanna do in uni
akpo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s a very interesting course (often has me thinking whether I want to pursue a degree in it) and before I briefly talk about it, if your doing OCR, it will probably become tedious, and very content heavy with your other subjects (if you like don’t like writing 40 markers a mark a minute), then choosing philosophy would not be fine. If another specification then it will be great.

They cover similar topics at GCSE in more depth, including the nature of the soul, mind and body with Plato & Aristotle.
The ethical aspect is also quite easy pick up, at first year, even when applied to medical/corporate ethics.
The last aspect would be religious thought, I do Christianity. For me the first year of this course is absolutely boring, but then it becomes very sociological, and focuses on development of society, and Marxism and feminism in the second year.
AB823
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I currently study both.

They are both extremely enjoyable courses- however just realise that RS is a lot better recognised than Sociology as everyone seems to consider it easy 🙄 it depends on the teaching at your school and what they are like and if you wish to continue ?
abull02
Rep:
?
(Original post by TCFactor)
I do Edexcel Philosophy and Ethics (+Christianity as the religion I have to study). It's banter. We do our work, joke around and with two classes, each with 9 and 5, it's amazing. If you enjoy it, it'll be fun. And you'll get good grades; you enjoy it.
Thank you so much, I am glad you enjoy it!
abull02
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
sociology is known to be slightly easier, at least year 1 is. its not as well respected, but its interested and u already have chosen 2 facilitating subjects so sociology would be fine. what do u wanna do in uni
I'm hoping to become a Police Officer but my ideas change every day haha.
abull02
Rep:
?
(Original post by akpo)
It’s a very interesting course (often has me thinking whether I want to pursue a degree in it) and before I briefly talk about it, if your doing OCR, it will probably become tedious, and very content heavy with your other subjects (if you like don’t like writing 40 markers a mark a minute), then choosing philosophy would not be fine. If another specification then it will be great.

They cover similar topics at GCSE in more depth, including the nature of the soul, mind and body with Plato & Aristotle.
The ethical aspect is also quite easy pick up, at first year, even when applied to medical/corporate ethics.
The last aspect would be religious thought, I do Christianity. For me the first year of this course is absolutely boring, but then it becomes very sociological, and focuses on development of society, and Marxism and feminism in the second year.
Thank you so much, I think I am going to take English Lit, Sociology and Philosophy because everyone is speaking highly of both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (65)
14.91%
I'm not sure (16)
3.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (147)
33.72%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.61%
I'm not a current university student (201)
46.1%

Watched Threads