teb1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'll start studying in Sheffield this September and I have a question about part-time jobs for students. I have already been looking on indeed and it looks like there are some vacancies in Sheffield, but I haven't started sending my CVs or anything like that. I am an international student (Czech Republic) and I don't really have any experience with working abroad. What are my chances with finding a part-time job in Sheffield? Also, should I start sending my CVs already? (even though I won't be available for a job interview before I move to Sheffield)
I really need the job to pay the rent (also other things of course, but rent is my main problem), so if you have any advice or experience it would help a lot.
Thanks
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Steven1029384756
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Apart from not being an international student, i'm in the same boat as you. A lot of companies and places will start advertising jobs in September so that they can hire students, in addition, Sheffield Uni has a job shop which will help you find work. You could try emailing places about your situation (unable to come for an interview) and attach a copy of you CV, though I doubt this would work with chain places such as ASDA, Tesco etc.
Littlechickens22
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on what you want, I've got my part time job sorted last month but did have loads of experience (worked full time for 4 years in that profession). There are part time jobs in Sheffield
teb1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Littlechickens22)
Depends on what you want, I've got my part time job sorted last month but did have loads of experience (worked full time for 4 years in that profession). There are part time jobs in Sheffield
I have never worked full-time I just had a part-time job in a café and also in the supermarket, but I'd prefer something like café as the supermarket was a terrible experience for me.
Simbess
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by teb1)
Hi, I'll start studying in Sheffield this September and I have a question about part-time jobs for students. I have already been looking on indeed and it looks like there are some vacancies in Sheffield, but I haven't started sending my CVs or anything that. I am an international student (Czech Republic) and I don't really have any experience with working abroad. What are my chances with finding a part-time job in Sheffield? Also, should I start sending my CVs already? (even though I won't be available for a job interview before I move to Sheffield)
I really need the job to pay the rent (also other things of course, but rent is my main problem), so if you have any advice or experience it would help a lot.
Thanks
Hi!
Firstly, well done on getting into UoS! It's a great city for students!
My first port of call would be the University JobShop - this is in the Students union and many companies / places looking for students to work part-time will advetise there. When you find something you like, the JobShop help you through the process of applying etc. It's good to go through them because the vacancies have already been searched, and the JobShop will have searched if it's a legitimate job or not for you. With this there are more oppourtunities than just Cafe work.
I'd get your CV sorted over the summer, but don't try and send anything off yet until you're in Sheffield, because the JobShop can help.

Hope this helps
teb1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simbess)
Hi!
Firstly, well done on getting into UoS! It's a great city for students!
My first port of call would be the University JobShop - this is in the Students union and many companies / places looking for students to work part-time will advetise there. When you find something you like, the JobShop help you through the process of applying etc. It's good to go through them because the vacancies have already been searched, and the JobShop will have searched if it's a legitimate job or not for you. With this there are more oppourtunities than just Cafe work.
I'd get your CV sorted over the summer, but don't try and send anything off yet until you're in Sheffield, because the JobShop can help.

Hope this helps
Thanks a lot
I've searched some vacancies and I'll definitely visit the JobShop when I arrive in Sheffield in September. Of course, if there is something more interesting than a café, I'll go for it but we will see...
XenChaotik
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by teb1)
Thanks a lot
I've searched some vacancies and I'll definitely visit the JobShop when I arrive in Sheffield in September. Of course, if there is something more interesting than a café, I'll go for it but we will see...
A lot of it just depends on luck and how many people apply for jobs, your best bet is applying as early as possible for the better chance of finding one faster, chances are you'll fine one eventually though unless you're picky. It took me about 2 months to find one but I started applying in the January which wasn't ideal tbh.
nortonandreev
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by teb1)
Hi, I'll start studying in Sheffield this September and I have a question about part-time jobs for students. I have already been looking on indeed and it looks like there are some vacancies in Sheffield, but I haven't started sending my CVs or anything like that. I am an international student (Czech Republic) and I don't really have any experience with working abroad. What are my chances with finding a part-time job in Sheffield? Also, should I start sending my CVs already? (even though I won't be available for a job interview before I move to Sheffield)
Thanks
Hey. I've been trying to find a job for the last year, but unsuccessfully. It seems it is almost impossible if you are an international student. They don't even look at you CV and nobody calls you for an interview. Hopefully you'll be luckier, but you can be disappointed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.43%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (101)
54.89%
No (73)
39.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise