The Student Room Group

Mature Student Wishing to Study Medicine

Hi all, I wonder if someone might be able to give me some advice please. I am a 28 year old mature student wishing to study medicine as soon as possible. I have had some quite confusing and conflicting advice regarding how to get to medical school. I have just completed an Access to Nursing HE Diploma and have applied for Paramedic Practice with a view to doing a conversion degree to medicine. I am also considering applying for a nursing or other science-based degree program with a view to doing a conversion degree afterwards. This seems to be the only real way to get into medicine that has been suggested to me but involves doing a degree I don't really want in the first place and spending up to eight years at university (not to mention approximately one trillion pounds worth of debt). Surely there must be some other way? Any guidance would be most appreciated. I have no A levels, GCSE English B, Maths B and Biology B. Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
Without high A levels (basically all A’s) you won’t get into medicine. Medicine is incredibly hard work and very demanding knowledge wise. You (rightfully) need to be able to prove your knowledge before you’re set free with peoples lives in your hands
Reply 2
Original post by LenientVegetable
Hi all, I wonder if someone might be able to give me some advice please. I am a 28 year old mature student wishing to study medicine as soon as possible. I have had some quite confusing and conflicting advice regarding how to get to medical school. I have just completed an Access to Nursing HE Diploma and have applied for Paramedic Practice with a view to doing a conversion degree to medicine. I am also considering applying for a nursing or other science-based degree program with a view to doing a conversion degree afterwards. This seems to be the only real way to get into medicine that has been suggested to me but involves doing a degree I don't really want in the first place and spending up to eight years at university (not to mention approximately one trillion pounds worth of debt). Surely there must be some other way? Any guidance would be most appreciated. I have no A levels, GCSE English B, Maths B and Biology B. Thank you in advance.

If you already have a 2:1 in a degree then you can apply to Nottingham, Warwick and St George's without any other requirements apart from a medical aptitude test.
Original post by Milax1x
Without high A levels (basically all A’s) you won’t get into medicine. Medicine is incredibly hard work and very demanding knowledge wise. You (rightfully) need to be able to prove your knowledge before you’re set free with peoples lives in your hands

I know people who've done it. Cheers for the encouragement!
Reply 4
Have you looked at some of the 6 year medicine courses? They have quite strict criteria but you may be eligible for some of them. They tend to be aimed towards more disadvantaged people though - worth looking into.

The alternative is Graduate Entry Medicine which does mean completing a degree first.

I don’t know much about conversion courses...

Quick Reply

Latest