The Student Room Group

Where do I start If I want to do day trading

I'm currently 17 years old studying 4 a-levels in Bristol (maths, further maths, physics and geography) and have recently grown a passion for the stock market and the opportunities it presents.
I am eager to get stuck in, i know I need to be 18 first, but I don't know where to start. I have read books and watched many videos of other people trading with their techniques and rules but I have no one to personally mentor me.
What I really want to know is how other people first started trading and how they taught themselves to get better over time as I am really struggling to find any examples of where successful traders begun.
Pretty much in the same position , fascinated in the trading market but have no mentor and I’m 16 years old. I’ve watched a few basic tourube vids about what it is and some basic techniques but no proper techniques on how to trade successfully.
Original post by Henry1812
I'm currently 17 years old studying 4 a-levels in Bristol (maths, further maths, physics and geography) and have recently grown a passion for the stock market and the opportunities it presents.
I am eager to get stuck in, i know I need to be 18 first, but I don't know where to start. I have read books and watched many videos of other people trading with their techniques and rules but I have no one to personally mentor me.
What I really want to know is how other people first started trading and how they taught themselves to get better over time as I am really struggling to find any examples of where successful traders begun.

day trading is a suckers game. if you want to trade.. get good, go to a top uni and recruit into a graduate trainee trading seat at a firm through an internship in uni.
Original post by Princepieman
day trading is a suckers game. if you want to trade.. get good, go to a top uni and recruit into a graduate trainee trading seat at a firm through an internship in uni.

Please do explain more.
The mans got a point ^. You are basically just gambling if you dont do a proper trading scheme at a company and may as well go to your local betfred and blow your cash, or buy a lottery ticket.
Original post by Grade A
Please do explain more.

90% of day traders make no money, another %age break even and some of them end up doing alright (but not crazy alright). The people in the last category tend to have been traders at firms (so they learnt proper risk management) beforehand (ergo, they probably have a decent nest egg to play with).

All the BS top day traders you see tend to make their money from gullible people buying some "system" or "training" that doesn't help you in the slightest. Lots of folks running shady whatsapp group chats promising to give "signals" for opportunities to essentially eager lemmings that don't realise it's all ********.
Study maths at a top uni, do an internship at a prop fund or bank’s trading dept then convert it into a full time offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending