I'm ReallyReally Confused

Watch
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello

I am a year 12 student who has got ACE in my mocks in maths, geography and computer science. I plan to do engineering in the future but since Physics is a requirement for a good, top unis I doubt I would get in. I want to study at a prestigious uni such as Bath,UCL, Imperial etc. I was thinking of moving schools so I can restart year 12 with New A levels (Maths,Physics,Chem/Econ) (I have met the requirements for the schools I want to apply to) I don't mind going uni a bit later and it is FREE but my parents are encouraging me to do a foundation year which is more expensive for me down the line since I would probably do a masters degree. For some reason my parents think its bad i restart my a levels. My other option is to do a fast track physics a level but that is expensive as well. Should I:

1) Continue A levels and apply to a mediocre/crap uni
2) Do the foundation year at a decent uni and hope for a transfer to a prestigious uni
3) Restart Year 12 with new subjects
4) Fast Track Physics A level.

And justify your reason why I should choose whatever option since I can't speak to anyone since its summer holidays and I have to make a decision before GCSE results day if I transfer schools.

Thank you so much for your advice
SNK0
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yo,

1) Continue A levels and apply to a mediocre/crap uni
If the uni of your choice requires physics, it's best for you to continue this path and do a foundation, it'll be the same amount of time if you restart with new subjects. That is if you don't fail the next time around. Keep your subjects and go to a mediocre uni, you can always transfer after your first year.

2) Do the foundation year at a decent uni and hope for a transfer to a prestigious uni
Foundation years are a good choice, more so for you. Engineering is a strong discipline, requires a tonne of insight, passion and knowledge. Doing a foundation might be a good choice, considering that many amazing unis offer this option!

3) Restart Year 12 with new subjects
I wouldn't do it, it's pointless.

4) Fast Track Physics A level.
This is a good option but it may be done in failure, fast tracks can be strenuous on one which can further lead you to fail your other subjects.

For you personally, I would recommend option 2. Do a foundation course, and get a headstart into that said course. You'll be surprised on how much it helps.
That or go for option 1 and hope that a good uni will allow you to transfer in for the second year and not the first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
1.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (35)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (56)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed