The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2019 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What are you currently studying: Undergraduate Diploma History of Art
What subject(s) are you applying for: History of Art
Which universities are you applying to: Cambridge
Any other info you feel like sharing: In my 50's
What are you currently studying: Nothing formally. Have been learning French, German and Russian on my own for a year or so now.

What subject(s) are you applying for: History and International Relations.

Which universities are you applying to: McGill University (Canada).

Any other info you feel like sharing: I live in Canada and have been coping with depression, social phobia and generalised anxiety disorder for about 20 years. I already have a BA in Translation and, after starting treatment for my illnesses, I feel I can walk the path to another BA and maybe a Master's and/or a PhD in the UK.

Best of luck to everyone!
What are you currently studying:
Access to Science (Maths/physics)
A-Level Maths (private candidate)
What subject are you applying for:
Economics
Which universities are you applying:
LSE, Kings College London, Bath, Bristol, Surrey
Any other info you feel like sharing:

Currently 21 and just started my access course. Very excited to be back in education after working and living abroad. There’s just something about being around others that want to learn! Have any of you started your courses yet?
What are you currently studying: I've just completed an Access to Higher Education in Humanities with 45 distinctions.
What subject(s) are you applying for: History
Which universities are you applying to: Oxford, St Andrews, Warwick and Nottingham
Any other info you feel like sharing: I have an unhealthy obsession for regency romance novels.
What are you currently studying:
OU modules
What subject(s) are you applying for: Law
Which universities are you applying to: Cambridge, Durham, York and possibly some others
Any other info you feel like sharing: Really terrified about admissions procedures! Between those 3 unis, there are 2 exams and 2 interviews standing in any chance of getting in!
Currently studying : Access to higher education in Nursing. (distance learning)
Subjects Applying for : Adult or possibly child nursing.
Universities applying to : Manchester , Huddersfield, Leeds, Sheffield and either Bangor or Sheffield Hallam
Any other info : I'm 27 feeling very old and a little over whelmed with the whole university application process and my access course is already quite difficult. Been a long time since i was in education. Its very different to being in a classroom.
Original post by td_100
What are you currently studying: Undergraduate Diploma History of Art
What subject(s) are you applying for: History of Art
Which universities are you applying to: Cambridge
Any other info you feel like sharing: In my 50's

May I ask what qualifications you’re using to apply? I’m trying to get in with OU credits but I’ve not yet heard of anyone doing the same for Cambridge.
Reply 47
I’m studying an undergraduate diploma it’s taught at year 2 degree level
Same! I should be finishing my diphe at the end of this year
Hi everyone,

I'm one of the London Met official reps and just wanted to jump in here to let you know that London Met has its very own Mature Student Officer, to support all of our mature students. At London Met we have a high proportion of mature students, as we have a really diverse student body and offer flexible course options. So we're well used to helping mature students :smile:

Thought it might be of interest to those on this thread that 68% of our students are mature, so you'll definitely feel like you belong :smile:

I'm including the link to our mature student page and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Best of luck with your future studies!

Nonie
Original post by Miss_Colly
Currently studying : Access to higher education in Nursing. (distance learning)
Subjects Applying for : Adult or possibly child nursing.
Universities applying to : Manchester , Huddersfield, Leeds, Sheffield and either Bangor or Sheffield Hallam
Any other info : I'm 27 feeling very old and a little over whelmed with the whole university application process and my access course is already quite difficult. Been a long time since i was in education. Its very different to being in a classroom.

I've applied for Adult Nursing in Bangor (25 soon to be 26) so I'm in the same position as you! It's been a while since I've studied but we'll probably all be in the same boat being mature students ! Just have to have study groups to make things easier for us all!x
What are you currently studying: Online courses in Future Learn and Open Learn, all history related.
What subject(s) are you applying for: Medieval History
Which universities are you applying to: Canterbury Christ Church, Chichester, Cambridge,
Any other info you feel like sharing: I doubt I'll get anywhere with Cambridge, but one never knows.
Best of luck everyone!
(edited 5 years ago)
For now I'm trying to work out which new qualifications to take.

The idea of taking more A Levels when I already have four feels demoralising. The Open University is relatively much more expensive though.
Original post by midforest

The idea of taking more A Levels when I already have four feels demoralising. The Open University is relatively much more expensive though.

What do you want to read at University?
Original post by Reality Check
What do you want to read at University?

Natural Sciences. My current interests are with psychology but the option to study more quantitative disciplines is important to me.

Although I have qualifications satisfying the entry requirements from several years ago, most universities I've contacted also have a recent study requirement. That's what I'm exploring here.
Reply 55
Original post by Andremasil
What are you currently studying: Starting my second year in an ACCESS Diploma in Foundation Studies: Biological/Biomedical Science at Belfast Met
What subject(s) are you applying for: Adult Nursing and Health Physiology / Healthcare Science - BSc (Hons)
Which universities are you applying to: Queen's University and Ulster
Any other info you feel like sharing: a bit afraid of the whole UCAS process.. also the Personal statement, I'm not really good at talking about myself or goals etc.

Hi!
I'm applying to qub and ulster as well!
What age are you? I'm 26. I had a bit of a hard time trying to get queens to consider my application considering some of my a levels are from years ago.
I'm at belfast met titanic quarter doing a levels atm :smile:
Good luck with your application. I sent mine to my referee yesterday.
Reply 56
Original post by midforest

It's a bit annoying that A Levels have time limits for some unis. I've had issues trying to get unis to accept one of mine from years ago but thankfully all the ones I've asked have eventually said It's ok.
Hope you get sorted
Original post by AO180
Hi!
I'm applying to qub and ulster as well!
What age are you? I'm 26. I had a bit of a hard time trying to get queens to consider my application considering some of my a levels are from years ago.
I'm at belfast met titanic quarter doing a levels atm :smile:
Good luck with your application. I sent mine to my referee yesterday.

Hey, I'm way older than you..but younger at heart lol.. right now I'm just brushing up my personal statement.. it's giving me a headache. How did you get on with your personal statement?
Hello all
What are you currently studying: Natural Sciences (Physics) at the Open University
What subject(s) are you applying for: Electronic and Software Engineering, Computer Science
Which universities are you applying to: Glasgow, Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Stirling

I finished my UCAS on Sunday, and I recieved an offer on Friday for ESE at Glasgow, conditional on me passing my module this year. I'm beyond hyped!:smile:
Reply 59
Hello all
What are you currently studying: CertHe at Open University in Social Sciences
What subject(s) are you applying for: Politics or Government, Policy and Society
Which universities are you applying to: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee

Hey @Mr.Markus Have you had any contact with Glasgow, they seem to be really okay with OU modules. My primary focus is Edinburgh and they've seemed okay but said it is a competitive course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending