Being gay is still not considered as normal by some people. Watch

xdopaminex
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
When a guy or a girl 'comes out of closet' some people would still be repulsed by it. But what I don't understand is, why high schools are not teaching kids about various sexual orientations? Are they not allowed to?
Anyauk
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
No, I think they are aloud to talk about it but it isn't on the curriculum which to me is stupid. I think it's mainly because it is a topic that does cause a lot of debates so unless ur learning about it in debate classes (which Idk a school that has one of them) it doesn't have a lesson to be covered in really.

But on the other hand, like you said some people are repulsed by that and the government and school wouldn't want one of the teachers saying wrong/offensive things and a student getting upset/worried

I'm not sure tbh but it's a good question x
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
snowman77
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you look up the definition of normal, it is this:

"The usual, typical, or expected state or condition"

It is usual or expected that people will be heterosexual. After all, that's how you make babies - males have sex with females. Otherwise every animal species would die out. People seem to forget that sex is designed to make babies, and you can't have that with two men or two women. It has to be one man, one woman.

That isn't to say there's anything wrong with being gay. But going by the dictionary definition, it is not normal.
Anyauk
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What has that got anything to do with the question? Why does making a child define your sexuality? There isn't really an expected sexuality so why can u say heterosexuals are 'normal' as sexuality is about the person your attracted to not about making a child unless u want to.
wahtevera
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anyauk)
What has that got anything to do with the question?
The question is literally 'Being gay is still not considered as normal by some people', and the person is positing why that might be the case...
IdLikeToHideTy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Schools have a set agenda. They cant stray from it too much or they get in trouble by the government. The system is pretty outdated overall and does need revamping without completely changing everything. Side note: I have a friend who happens to be super religious, and whilst not a bad guy is super against gays. He doesnt like them, and if someone told him they were gay he may try to convince them out of it a little (out of the attempt to prevent them from going to hell following his beliefs) but as long as they dont flaunt it like its their only redeemable characteristic he's pretty chill about it and is pretty good friends with some. People being repulsed is just a matter of them thinking "oh god i would never want that" for reasons like them not seeing themselves in that situation, fear of consequence, and fear of breaking through whats deemed typically expected of them.
snowman77
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anyauk)
What has that got anything to do with the question? Why does making a child define your sexuality? There isn't really an expected sexuality so why can u say heterosexuals are 'normal' as sexuality is about the person your attracted to not about making a child unless u want to.
It would help if you could quote me if you're replying to me.

I think you're missing the point. I didn't say making a child defines your sexuality. I said that heterosexual is the expected sexual orientation, because biologically that is how every single animal species needs to be in order to procreate and continue. Otherwise they die out.
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by snowman77)
If you look up the definition of normal, it is this:

"The usual, typical, or expected state or condition"

It is usual or expected that people will be heterosexual. After all, that's how you make babies - males have sex with females. Otherwise every animal species would die out. People seem to forget that sex is designed to make babies, and you can't have that with two men or two women. It has to be one man, one woman.

That isn't to say there's anything wrong with being gay. But going by the dictionary definition, it is not normal.
Agree 💯
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by xdopaminex)
When a guy or a girl 'comes out of closet' some people would still be repulsed by it. But what I don't understand is, why high schools are not teaching kids about various sexual orientations? Are they not allowed to?
I think sometimes things are not said in schools to avoid offending people. My in-laws are quite religious and do not agree with homosexuality. They think people can be converted. It is sad really because my nephew is clearly gay and will never be able to come out whilst his grandmother is alive as it would kill her.
Sadieleigh95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Being gay is fine. In school and teenage years a lot of peers will take the mick but once you get into your 20s being gay is fully acceptable and everybody starts to realise that it is normal. My friend was bullied in school for being camp but now he’s 22 and he works as a drag queen and all his uni friends thinks it’s brilliant and his family are just glad that he is happy and living as his true self
Carolina K.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I mean they don't' even teach sex ed properly. All i remember is that they told us about condoms and that it's when a boy and a girl are in love.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
We now live in an inclusive society. It is illegal under the 2010 Equality Act to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender etc etc. The law effectively puts the onus on those people who feel uncomfortable, not those who choose to live their lives in the way they choose. Since schools are bound by the Equality Act and given the huge amount of unfounded prejudice against minorities it makes sense for schools to celebrate diversity. This is not to be confused with the idea of promotion. Schools do not promote one direction over another. Just that all are equally valid. I work in a school that promotes diversity and it was heart warming to see my form making flags for LGBT and Transgender Awareness to go on my form wall (their choice). LGBT is now the term used instead of "gay" and you will often overhear students remarking, "Are you LGBT?" when enquiring about someone's sexual orientation. Vive la future!!!
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It doesn't need to be. As long as people are tolerant, it doesn't matter whether they consider it "normal" or not. It is unreasonable to expect everyone to be accepting of gay people in the near future. (and elements of racism will probably always exist)
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Some people are close minded. They might hold those views due to religion, homophobia, or many other reasons. Is it normal to be gay? I have no clue, who am I to say it is or it isn't. Normality is a social construct. But as long as they are happy and don't affect other people's lives, why does it matter? People should judge others by their character, not by their sexuality.
Sahyun
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Because it was never normal. And just because it isn't, doesn't mean that it's wrong but don't expect it to ever overtake heterosexuality.

As for schools, Idk what you're expecting of homosexuality here when even heterosexuality isn't explained. Just teach about protection and leave it at that, if you teach and explain a sexuality it can encourage a feeling in the kid which he/she never experienced. All it would do is create this artificial feeling which never existed. It's best to let their feelings come naturally.
snugglebear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
things will change as the next and the next generation has kids and people will become more broad-minded and accepting, and there will be less religious people (it's clearly dying out)and less old fashioned conservativism. basically society will grow up. but there will always be some who think differently, as there are so many people in the world. there are some people who, although they don't admit in public, in the pit of their stomach find it sick when they see a black and white or chinese and indian person together, so maybe it's something down to a primal feeling of repulsion to something different..
bobby147
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Agreed.But transphobia is definitely the new homophobia imo.
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by snowman77)
It would help if you could quote me if you're replying to me.

I think you're missing the point. I didn't say making a child defines your sexuality. I said that heterosexual is the expected sexual orientation, because biologically that is how every single animal species needs to be in order to procreate and continue. Otherwise they die out.
Not really.Bonobos are entirely bisexual.They haven't died out yet and if they do it won't be because they don't procreate enough.Our entire society could be bisexual and would still very much survive.
snowman77
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Robby2312)
Not really.Bonobos are entirely bisexual.They haven't died out yet and if they do it won't be because they don't procreate enough.Our entire society could be bisexual and would still very much survive.
Bisexual = attracted to both sexes

Gay = attracted to the same sex

In the first instance, the species survives because babies can be made. In the second instance, the species dies out. People need to understand that it's all about passing on your genes and continuing the survival of the species. That's what evolution intended for every living organism on the planet. You can't physically do that with two of the same sex.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
They do teach you about various sexualities in pshe etc. Also, there are lots of things that people don’t like and other people do. There’ll always be someone that hates. You just have to forget about them and live your life, if they start giving you trouble then you deal with it. Whether it’s speaking to someone at school or reporting it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads