The Student Room Group

How to deal with hair??

So I've been informed you get limited time to shower after exercise in the RAF which of course I 100% understand. I am a girl with ridiculously thick hair, I struggle to manage with it on a daily basis anyway.

Even when I've had it cut really short it takes minimum 9 minutes to dry it with a hair dryer, and it needs to brushed which takes another five before it can even be put up at all. It also takes longer to wash as it is thicker.

I'm worried that I might fall behind and miss deadlines because of my hair, and am willing to cut it to a length where it can JUST be put up but I don't believe you can go shorter than that without cutting it alot?
I'm probably going to get responses from guys as I have in the past like "oh suck it up" but I would really like some genuinely helpful advice or experiences of other people in a similar situation??
Reply 1
If you mean during training, then yes, there will be numerous occasions where you have to be in a certain place, or achieve a particular task, by a certain time, and if that means a quick shower or having to get up earlier or work longer, so be it. You'll have more to worry about than fixing your hair, especially out in the field on exercise, so for the duration of training, you'll have to get used to not fully drying it or brushing it between*lesson periods; give it a good wash and brush on your own time. Hair needs to be off the collar, so have it cut to a manageable length or find a quick fix like bundling it into a hairnet and making a quick bun.
Original post by marveldinosaur
So I've been informed you get limited time to shower after exercise in the RAF which of course I 100% understand. I am a girl with ridiculously thick hair, I struggle to manage with it on a daily basis anyway.

Even when I've had it cut really short it takes minimum 9 minutes to dry it with a hair dryer, and it needs to brushed which takes another five before it can even be put up at all. It also takes longer to wash as it is thicker.

I'm worried that I might fall behind and miss deadlines because of my hair, and am willing to cut it to a length where it can JUST be put up but I don't believe you can go shorter than that without cutting it alot?
I'm probably going to get responses from guys as I have in the past like "oh suck it up" but I would really like some genuinely helpful advice or experiences of other people in a similar situation??

You won't be drying it at all in most situations and you'll have about 30 seconds to brush it, probably with your fingers. Different situation when you are trained in role and on your home station, but in training and on operations, hair dryers are a remote luxury and brushing your hair only possible infrequently.
Reply 3
Invest in a good dry shampoo. That way if you only get say 20 mins shower time you can wash your body and use dry shampoo to degrease your hair until you have time for a proper shower. It’ll help to have shorter hair anyway as you need to be tying it up into a super neat bun on the back of your head.

Quick Reply

Latest