TheFarmerLad
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How does one go about getting an engineering industrial placement if they have had no experience? What information, besides the obvious exam results/degree results, are useful to put on a CV to attract attention from employers? Is it that hard to get relevant work experience? Asking on behalf of a third year mechanical engineering student
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They apply and keep applying until they're successful.

Nobody has 'no experience'. If you've been at uni for 2+ years then I assume you have got experience working in a team from group projects, written communication from writing reports, verbal communication from giving presentations, leadership if you've taken positions of responsibility, planning and organisation skills by managing multiple assignments simultaneously and working to deadlines etc. You just need to look at everything you've done on the course as well as extra curricular stuff and think about what transferrable skills you learned and developed.

Obviously someone with relevant work experience will have an advantage but plenty of people get placements without any prior relevant experience.
TheFarmerLad
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Student-95)
They apply and keep applying until they're successful.

Nobody has 'no experience'. If you've been at uni for 2+ years then I assume you have got experience working in a team from group projects, written communication from writing reports, verbal communication from giving presentations, leadership if you've taken positions of responsibility, planning and organisation skills by managing multiple assignments simultaneously and working to deadlines etc. You just need to look at everything you've done on the course as well as extra curricular stuff and think about what transferrable skills you learned and developed.

Obviously someone with relevant work experience will have an advantage but plenty of people get placements without any prior relevant experience.
Cheers for the reply! Are you speaking from experience?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.03%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (144)
38.92%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.46%

Watched Threads