The Student Room Group

Whats the best distance provider for Access course? Help pls

I'm stuck between the distance learning centre and Ealing, Hammersmith and West London college..

-Distance learning centre has an accessible forum but very mixed reviews so I'm so confused.

-Earling, Hammersmith and west London college.
I can only find one person who studies with them and no sign of a forum which is worrying.

I've spoke to 2 people who say DLC.. then another who says Definitely not DLC. I've honestly spent everyday on TSR searching the forums but can't find much on the west London college one.

Can anyone help please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here is a portion of a PM I sent to someone who asked me about DLC:

"Ok firstly I studied with Distance Learning Centre. I picked them because firstly, they were mentioned a fair bit on TSR, and also, it was the only website where I was able to find an actual independent review. There was a short youtube review done by a couple of girls who were extremely honest in their review. All I really cared about was that the website wasn’t a scam, lol.
There are other websites out there. The two most common ones seem to be Distance Learning Centre and Learndirect. I think DLC is cheaper?

Would I recommend them… well. I have done, publicly on Facebook. On TSR im a little more objective. I would say this about them They provide you with the tools needed to pass your Access Course, and if that is your goal, they are great. I didn’t want to Pass.. I didn’t want to get Merits, I wanted all Distinctions. I found that the material they provided was quite unprofessional at times (theres weird little cats saying random quotes in some of the materials) and it often was laden with spelling errors. Their papers too, often quoted performance criteria that didn’t exist, or simply didn’t relate to the topic. I could look past all of this because I noticed it, brought it up with my tutor and it was not a problem.

What I did, in order to achieve Distinctions, was go out and buy a textbook for the subject. I did Law and Criminology so I got AQA AS and A2 Law Textbooks from Amazon (they were about 2 quid each for the 2015 versions which is still newer than the DLC stuff) and Tim Newburn’s Criminology, which is the definitive textbook on the subject. This was ALMOST all I needed, along with hard word, to gain Distinctions. I am the person who is quite happy to go away, research, write and give something a go. DLC was perfect in that respect because its distance learning. You have tutors who will guide you, but they will not do the work for you. Now, I had a very good relationship with my tutors. You can have a tutorial each week and email them whenever you want. I didn’t need a tutorial each week and very rarely bothered them. With that in mind I was probably one of their favourite students as I wasn’t very overbearing! I have seen reviews where people are slating the tutors and that they have been no help. This was never the case for me. What I will say though is that people have different learning styles, different expectations etc. If you are expecting your tutor to sit there and work through your work with you for hours on end, you need a brick college. For me though, it was great.

The way the course is set out is actually great. They start you off (On the Level 3 ones anyway) by teaching you how to write academically. They also go through the Uni application process and have all of this done at the start. You will no doubt, grow through the process. I had no clue how to write an essay, now I’m enrolled in one of the toughest courses there is, at one of the best Uni’s, in an essay-laden subject! They will give you the tools to succeed. You complete a series of ungraded Units where you are given an ‘indicative’ mark to show where you are at in terms of grade. Use the feedback you are given and there is no reason why you cant obtain Distinctions. The first time I submitted an ungraded piece I got a merit. I took all the feedback on board and every piece I submitted after that I achieved Disctinctions. They work it out like, 5 criteria, so you could get 3D,2M (Making 5) but as you got more D’s, you get a Distinction for that whole unit. Well I started off by getting like 3D and 2M, then it just rose to 5D the whole time. You will just get much much better and your tutors help you with that!"

Hope that helps, if you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them You can drop me a PM or just post on here :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DCDCo
Here is a portion of a PM I sent to someone who asked me about DLC:

"Ok firstly I studied with Distance Learning Centre. I picked them because firstly, they were mentioned a fair bit on TSR, and also, it was the only website where I was able to find an actual independent review. There was a short youtube review done by a couple of girls who were extremely honest in their review. All I really cared about was that the website wasn’t a scam, lol.
There are other websites out there. The two most common ones seem to be Distance Learning Centre and Learndirect. I think DLC is cheaper?

Would I recommend them… well. I have done, publicly on Facebook. On TSR im a little more objective. I would say this about them They provide you with the tools needed to pass your Access Course, and if that is your goal, they are great. I didn’t want to Pass.. I didn’t want to get Merits, I wanted all Distinctions. I found that the material they provided was quite unprofessional at times (theres weird little cats saying random quotes in some of the materials) and it often was laden with spelling errors. Their papers too, often quoted performance criteria that didn’t exist, or simply didn’t relate to the topic. I could look past all of this because I noticed it, brought it up with my tutor and it was not a problem.

What I did, in order to achieve Distinctions, was go out and buy a textbook for the subject. I did Law and Criminology so I got AQA AS and A2 Law Textbooks from Amazon (they were about 2 quid each for the 2015 versions which is still newer than the DLC stuff) and Tim Newburn’s Criminology, which is the definitive textbook on the subject. This was ALMOST all I needed, along with hard word, to gain Distinctions. I am the person who is quite happy to go away, research, write and give something a go. DLC was perfect in that respect because its distance learning. You have tutors who will guide you, but they will not do the work for you. Now, I had a very good relationship with my tutors. You can have a tutorial each week and email them whenever you want. I didn’t need a tutorial each week and very rarely bothered them. With that in mind I was probably one of their favourite students as I wasn’t very overbearing! I have seen reviews where people are slating the tutors and that they have been no help. This was never the case for me. What I will say though is that people have different learning styles, different expectations etc. If you are expecting your tutor to sit there and work through your work with you for hours on end, you need a brick college. For me though, it was great.

The way the course is set out is actually great. They start you off (On the Level 3 ones anyway) by teaching you how to write academically. They also go through the Uni application process and have all of this done at the start. You will no doubt, grow through the process. I had no clue how to write an essay, now I’m enrolled in one of the toughest courses there is, at one of the best Uni’s, in an essay-laden subject! They will give you the tools to succeed. You complete a series of ungraded Units where you are given an ‘indicative’ mark to show where you are at in terms of grade. Use the feedback you are given and there is no reason why you cant obtain Distinctions. The first time I submitted an ungraded piece I got a merit. I took all the feedback on board and every piece I submitted after that I achieved Disctinctions. They work it out like, 5 criteria, so you could get 3D,2M (Making 5) but as you got more D’s, you get a Distinction for that whole unit. Well I started off by getting like 3D and 2M, then it just rose to 5M the whole time. You will just get much much better and your tutors help you with that!"

Hope that helps, if you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them You can drop me a PM or just post on here :smile:

You actually sent me that email! I recently changed my username haha see I've spoke to 3 people who recommend the DLC then another girl who said it was awful which stopped me. I'm considering the west london college but trying to get a hold of any current students is nearly impossible! I'm pretty sure I'm going with the DLC but just want to be 100% :smile: thanks again for your advice, its much appreciated!
Reply 3
Original post by irishlion
You actually sent me that email! I recently changed my username haha see I've spoke to 3 people who recommend the DLC then another girl who said it was awful which stopped me. I'm considering the west london college but trying to get a hold of any current students is nearly impossible! I'm pretty sure I'm going with the DLC but just want to be 100% :smile: thanks again for your advice, its much appreciated!

Hah, no problem.

Presumably one is Distance the other is a brick and mortar institute? I'd make my decision around how those both fit into your life.
Reply 4
Original post by DCDCo
Hah, no problem.

Presumably one is Distance the other is a brick and mortar institute? I'd make my decision around how those both fit into your life.

No they're actually both distance so it's just choosing which one.
The Ealing/Hammersmith and west london accepts loans but I can only find one student and no sign of a forum anywhere. It's also connected with stonebridge college/learndirect/dimensions as they have the same exam board and same course modules but no sign of current students!
I've realized that the DLC has a separate exam board which is a good thing I think.
Reply 5
No they're actually both distance so it's just choosing which one.
The Ealing/Hammersmith and west london accepts loans but I can only find one student and no sign of a forum anywhere. It's also connected with stonebridge college/learndirect/dimensions as they have the same exam board and same course modules but no sign of current students!
I've realized that the DLC has a separate exam board which is a good thing I think.

Yeah there is a real issue in finding quality reviews/current students when it comes to this sort of thing. You've obviously heard my views on it.

What i'd say.. I never really needed to seek assistance from other pupils with my learning, I did it pretty much all on my own. In fact.. it was on TSR where I randomly stumbled into someone who was doing the same DLC course as me. We've maintained contact since. With that in mind, however, I recognise how important peer support can be to some. DLC has a fairly active FB Group which is closed to non-students. Perhaps the college also has one on Facebook which is where students chat? The DLC Forum is pretty bare to be honest..
Reply 6
Original post by DCDCo
Yeah there is a real issue in finding quality reviews/current students when it comes to this sort of thing. You've obviously heard my views on it.

What i'd say.. I never really needed to seek assistance from other pupils with my learning, I did it pretty much all on my own. In fact.. it was on TSR where I randomly stumbled into someone who was doing the same DLC course as me. We've maintained contact since. With that in mind, however, I recognise how important peer support can be to some. DLC has a fairly active FB Group which is closed to non-students. Perhaps the college also has one on Facebook which is where students chat? The DLC Forum is pretty bare to be honest..

I guess I'm just looking for past students to see what the course is like as it can be helpful to clarify things if I don't understand something down the line. I'm part of the DLC facebook group and it's very helpful! ive contacted the west london college but a few members said theyd email me so im just waiting to see
Reply 7
I guess I'm just looking for past students to see what the course is like as it can be helpful to clarify things if I don't understand something down the line. I'm part of the DLC facebook group and it's very helpful! ive contacted the west london college but a few members said theyd email me so im just waiting to see

I'd be super interested to hear any feedback you get - I'm also considering distance learning with Ealing/Hammersmith West London (as they seem to be one of the only ones that accept loans)... Look forward to hearing what you decide!
Reply 8
Original post by Emm4line
I'd be super interested to hear any feedback you get - I'm also considering distance learning with Ealing/Hammersmith West London (as they seem to be one of the only ones that accept loans)... Look forward to hearing what you decide!

After LOTS of searching The distance learning centre is definitely the more used provider. I think we have to be prepared to look past the notes and do a-lot of self research eg buy the A level equivalent in our subjects. I've spoke to some recent DLC students who said they have been brilliant and each of them are going to University on time. The DLC also has years of student testimonials and 'seems' to be the most popular one.
The ealing/hammersmith and west london college has no forum and I've found contacting them to be a little hard. This could be because they're on a summer break but even when I ask about the distance learning options they said they don't even know if there is a forum.
No facebook group either which breaks it down for me because having other student support is so helpful.
What course are you looking to study?
Reply 9
After LOTS of searching The distance learning centre is definitely the more used provider. I think we have to be prepared to look past the notes and do a-lot of self research eg buy the A level equivalent in our subjects. I've spoke to some recent DLC students who said they have been brilliant and each of them are going to University on time. The DLC also has years of student testimonials and 'seems' to be the most popular one.
The ealing/hammersmith and west london college has no forum and I've found contacting them to be a little hard. This could be because they're on a summer break but even when I ask about the distance learning options they said they don't even know if there is a forum.
No facebook group either which breaks it down for me because having other student support is so helpful.
What course are you looking to study?

Thanks so much for getting back to me - I also went into a huge internet hole yesterday and did a ton of research too..

When I tested applying for the adult learner loan through the west london college (WLC) it said the course is offered through the 'Open College Network West Midlands' (https://www.opencollnet.org.uk//access-to-he/online-access-to-he-diplomas)

It seems like WLC are just a third party supplier so once you pay for the course/apply for loan through them you're transferred onto the central system - which could be why there aren't forums etc for WLC? I also tried contacting them yesterday but no joy..

I'm hoping to study access to social sciences - psychology and sociology but it seems like DLC don't offer that course (they only have psychology and criminology)..

I looked into the other providers too and now completely torn argh!
Reply 10
Thanks so much for getting back to me - I also went into a huge internet hole yesterday and did a ton of research too..

When I tested applying for the adult learner loan through the west london college (WLC) it said the course is offered through the 'Open College Network West Midlands' (https://www.opencollnet.org.uk//access-to-he/online-access-to-he-diplomas)

It seems like WLC are just a third party supplier so once you pay for the course/apply for loan through them you're transferred onto the central system - which could be why there aren't forums etc for WLC? I also tried contacting them yesterday but no joy..

I'm hoping to study access to social sciences - psychology and sociology but it seems like DLC don't offer that course (they only have psychology and criminology)..

Yes I found that too! Basically stonebridge college/learndirect/dimensions teaining/Ealing, Hammersmith and west london college.
They all provide the same course & materials and its run exactly the same but just through different companies. They all have the same exam board too but I've researched them all and none have great reviews except the west london college which has no reviews..

They said they have this online site called pearl so once you enrol you get access and there's a forum on that but I'm not sure if it's even active so ive been trying to find a current student as I'm the same!

I was wanting to study some sociology too but the DLC dosent offer it. I need to enrol soon so I'm not sure. I've message a current west london college student but no reply yet. Let me know what you decide!
Who's gonna risk it first 😂ahhh
Yes I found that too! Basically stonebridge college/learndirect/dimensions teaining/Ealing, Hammersmith and west london college.
They all provide the same course & materials and its run exactly the same but just through different companies. They all have the same exam board too but I've researched them all and none have great reviews except the west london college which has no reviews..

They said they have this online site called pearl so once you enrol you get access and there's a forum on that but I'm not sure if it's even active so ive been trying to find a current student as I'm the same!

I was wanting to study some sociology too but the DLC dosent offer it. I need to enrol soon so I'm not sure. I've message a current west london college student but no reply yet. Let me know what you decide!
Who's gonna risk it first 😂ahhh

I've bit the bullet and done it!! DLC don't offer the course I want and it seems to be only on offer through learn direct / WLC etc but all through www.opencollnet.org.uk/

called Stonebrige and got a further reduction on their discounted rate online (on https://www.stonebridge.uk.com).. I decided to self-fund as I want to get started asap and also want the flexibility of not having only 21 days to complete each unit (which is the way it works through adult learner loan scheme apparently).. i.e. if I do a unit quicker I can move onto the next and if I need longer than 21 days I can have it - they said when you self-fund you have complete flexibility.. not sure if any of this is a fabrication/ good sales technique but too late now, hope its ok! :crossedf:

Good luck with deciding - Let me know what you choose! :bigsmile:
Reply 12

Just a quick one! Having done Law and Criminology, I can confirm there at the very least, there is a module in Criminology that is extremely Sociology heavy. In fact, the Criminology Modules in general often have sociological undertones.
Reply 13
Original post by DCDCo
Just a hquick one! Having done Law and Criminology, I can confirm there at the very least, there is a module in Criminology that is extremely Sociology heavy. In fact, the Criminology Modules in general often have sociological undertones.

Glad to hear because i bought sociology books so was hoping to get to use them! I think I'm deffinitely choosing the DLC. How did you get on with your exams? I've never studied psychology or criminology except from listening to podcasts but hoping It clicks and I don't get too confused😂
Reply 14
Glad to hear because i bought sociology books so was hoping to get to use them! I think I'm deffinitely choosing the DLC. How did you get on with your exams? I've never studied psychology or criminology except from listening to podcasts but hoping It clicks and I don't get too confused😂

I got 45/45 Distinctions.

What course are you doing?
Original post by DCDCo
Just a quick one! Having done Law and Criminology, I can confirm there at the very least, there is a module in Criminology that is extremely Sociology heavy. In fact, the Criminology Modules in general often have sociological undertones.

Thanks so much great to hear x
Original post by DCDCo

Amazing results- well done - any tips on how to get those distinctions?? 😬😊
Reply 17
Amazing results- well done - any tips on how to get those distinctions?? 😬😊

Work hard? :biggrin: I kid..

The way to achieve distinctions is to do exactly what it tells you to achieve them. Simple eh? Heres a few tips to get you going.

1. You must hit the assessment criteria (AC). Don't just look at what the question is asking of you, look at the AC which is being marked and the ensure your answer deals with that. I lost count of the number of times I looked at a question and thought "ah, I have a good answer here". I would then look at the AC and realise I needed to answer the question completely differently.

2. Then, when you have happy with what you have to put in your answer, ensure that it has breadth and depth. What this means is, go beyond the materials you have been provided and add another layer to your work. I'll give you an extremely quick example. For one assignment, in the simplest terms, I had to compare a newspaper to some official statistics. I could have done that and probably achieved a Merit. However, I took the opportunity to add depth to my work. I picked two newspapers that were distinctly different (Broadsheet and Tabloid), I compared them to the statistics and in addition, compared them to each other. The point I'm making is, I went further and asked different questions.. this gave me breadth and depth to my work. That is an example of a distinction piece :smile:

3. The way you are marked is on criteria within your work. So, breadth and depth, quality etc. They then take the majority mark and that is your overall mark. So let's say there were 7 criteria and you got 4 Distinctions and 3 Merits. You'd get an overall Distinction. Some of the criteria are extremely easy to score the top marks on. I know for one, it involved referencing... There are literally websites that will do this for you like citethisforme, so I'd say, it's almost impossible to not score a Distinction here. There are websites that will check your grammar, punctuation etc for you (Grammarly is one).. that will satisfy another AC. Use these tools to assist you!

If you have any other questions, i'll try and help the best I can.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by DCDCo

I'm doing the Access to Psychology and Criminology pathway! I'm planning to sign up today or tomorrow. That's amazing you got those marks.. you might just be really smart though :wink:
I've really been preparing to start by setting up a study space and buying all the A level equivalent books so I'm totally motivated!! and the fact I don't even have to leave my house is amazing.
Reply 19
I'm doing the Access to Psychology and Criminology pathway! I'm planning to sign up today or tomorrow. That's amazing you got those marks.. you might just be really smart though :wink:
I've really been preparing to start by setting up a study space and buying all the A level equivalent books so I'm totally motivated!! and the fact I don't even have to leave my house is amazing.

For Criminology, the recommended book is Tim Newburn - Criminology. I have a big fat book here next to me doing nothing. Give me a PM if you want it and we could sort something out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending