The Student Room Group

im in crisis

so my life is falling apart. i went to the gp for sleeping problems and other physical problem which is embarrassing to say. he was no help to me and i returned feeling devastated. i really feel like there is something wrong with me physically and i was hoping for him to refer me or do checks. however he pushed me away like everyone else. my mental health is getting worse and depression and anxiety is getting the better of me. i am getting so many negative thoughts and im finding it difficult to open up to my parents. should i get another appointment from a different gp or my time up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your time is not "up", get another appointment with another GP. If not, call 111 or see if you can self-refer to a community mental health team in your area. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Pathway
Your time is not "up", get another appointment with another GP. If not, call 111 or see if you can self-refer to a community mental health team in your area. Good luck.

my parents are making me hold back. if they werent here i wouldve seeked help earlier and from different sources. but thx for ur reply
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
so my life is falling apart. i went to the gp for sleeping problems and other physical problem which is embarrassing to say. he was no help to me and i returned feeling devastated. i really feel like there is something wrong with me physically and i was hoping for him to refer me or do checks. however he pushed me away like everyone else. my mental health is getting worse and depression and anxiety is getting the better of me. i am getting so many negative thoughts and im finding it difficult to open up to my parents. should i get another appointment from a different gp or my time up?
What embarrassing problem is this? Nobody can say anything helpful if you don't say.
Reply 4
my parents are making me hold back. if they werent here i wouldve seeked help earlier and from different sources. but thx for ur reply

What's your age?
Reply 5
Original post by Pathway
What's your age?

Reply 6

You don't need your parents involvement if you're deemed to have capacity. The only other reason your parents would be involved is if you are a risk to yourself or someone else. Make a GP appointment, your parents don't have to know.
(edited 5 years ago)
Definitely don't give up. Set other appointment with other GP and if you can seek Mental Health help for depression and Anxiety problems.
Reply 8
Original post by Pathway
You don't need your parents involvement if you're deemed to have capacity. The only other reason your parents would be involved is if you are a risk to yourself or someone else. Make a GP appointment, your parents don't have to know.

how do i make a gp appointment? the thing is i hardly leave my house and i dont know what excuse ill give to my parents as one of them will always be in the house. im planning on getting a bike and saying im going for a bike ride

I feel like there will be a lot to unpack. Feel free to dm me on here.
how do i make a gp appointment? the thing is i hardly leave my house and i dont know what excuse ill give to my parents as one of them will always be in the house. im planning on getting a bike and saying im going for a bike ride

Say your going to your friends house or looking for jobs or to buy something or that your going to the library.
Original post by 12aissid
Say your going to your friends house or looking for jobs or to buy something or that your going to the library.

Im pretty sure you can also make gp appointments over the phone.

Ring your GP surgery and make one, tell them that you want to keep it private from your parents. Tell your parents you need to go out to see a friend or you've been invited somewhere, or whatever - just make up some excuse. The bike sounds like a good excuse.

Before you go write down somewhere (on paper or your phone) a list of difficulties you're having (e.g. sleep issues, low mood, etc.). When you book your appointment, see if you can ask for someone that knows of mental health issues or whoever you get along with most, it is also courteous to the other people if you book a double appointment, it means you've got more time to talk to the doctor.

Good luck, please stay safe. If you can't keep safe do tell someone, phone 111 or get an emergency GP appointment, or if very unsafe go to A&E or call 999.

i have no friends so that wont work. other two i dont think they will believe me cos they know im not normal. im probz just gonna say im going for a bike ride once i get a bike

the last two options might work so thx
Reply 15
If your surgery has counsellers attached to it you don't need to see a GP you can just book an appointment with them. The local one to me is LIFT Psycology. I would also ask for a double, emergency appointment and not get off the phone until you are given one. (I currently work in a GP Surgery if you need any advice regarding booking etc)
Original post by Pathway
Ring your GP surgery and make one, tell them that you want to keep it private from your parents. Tell your parents you need to go out to see a friend or you've been invited somewhere, or whatever - just make up some excuse. The bike sounds like a good excuse.

Before you go write down somewhere (on paper or your phone) a list of difficulties you're having (e.g. sleep issues, low mood, etc.). When you book your appointment, see if you can ask for someone that knows of mental health issues or whoever you get along with most, it is also courteous to the other people if you book a double appointment, it means you've got more time to talk to the doctor.

Good luck, please stay safe. If you can't keep safe do tell someone, phone 111 or get an emergency GP appointment, or if very unsafe go to A&E or call 999.

thx for the advice, it has helped me.
Original post by Kanae
If your surgery has counsellers attached to it you don't need to see a GP you can just book an appointment with them. The local one to me is LIFT Psycology. I would also ask for a double, emergency appointment and not get off the phone until you are given one. (I currently work in a GP Surgery if you need any advice regarding booking etc)

im just so nervous. like i just feel like a failure all the time. so u go to the website of the gp/surgery. call them and just turn up at the given time. this is so daunting but oh well. i just really wish my parents werent around, would make my confidence a lot better.
Reply 18
im just so nervous. like i just feel like a failure all the time. so u go to the website of the gp/surgery. call them and just turn up at the given time. this is so daunting but oh well. i just really wish my parents werent around, would make my confidence a lot better.

You are absolutely not a failure. Yeah find the number of whichever Surgery you are registered at and phone them. You can either ask directly for a Counsellor appointment or ask for a GP appointment. Emergency appointments are booked on the day; depending on your Surgery's booking system they could ask you to phone back at a certain time. Just explain to the Receptionist and I'm sure they will help you. Is it bad to say in 2 years you will be legally an adult then you can leave? Do you go to college/school? That will give you time away
Original post by Kanae
You are absolutely not a failure. Yeah find the number of whichever Surgery you are registered at and phone them. You can either ask directly for a Counsellor appointment or ask for a GP appointment. Emergency appointments are booked on the day; depending on your Surgery's booking system they could ask you to phone back at a certain time. Just explain to the Receptionist and I'm sure they will help you. Is it bad to say in 2 years you will be legally an adult then you can leave? Do you go to college/school? That will give you time away

im tempted to tell them to go back to their home country. like they are an extra obstacle to me. if i dont get treated or get the help i need, i will lose my s*** i swear to god.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending