Rani_roll14
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is the process for clearing? How do you apply and what is the first thing to do? I have an offer for medicine but in the case that I might miss my grades. And do many people with offers already still apply for clearing?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rani_roll14)
What is the process for clearing? How do you apply and what is the first thing to do? I have an offer for medicine but in the case that I might miss my grades. And do many people with offers already still apply for clearing?
Once you've got your results, if you miss your grades (and both your firm and insurance reject you-it is possible, albeit unlikely for medicine, that they would accept you if you've just missed your grades) you are in clearing. You will get a clearing number, which you'll need to keep hold of as unis will need that to look at your UCAS application while they decide if they can give you an offer.
Last year, around 75% of the 67,000 people who were placed in clearing applied in the main scheme (eg. before 30th June) and hence had the opportunity to get offers. I can't find any stats on how many had offers, but I'd imagine that most would have done (although they may have declined them if say they'd decided at the last minute to change course).
I hope that gives you some idea
Rani_roll14
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If you just miss you grades do you need to call them/email them and ask if they can still accept you on results day?
And what if we were to get our grades remarked if we missed them initially and end up making the offer after? How would the uni be informed of that?

(Original post by Lemur14)
Once you've got your results, if you miss your grades (and both your firm and insurance reject you-it is possible, albeit unlikely for medicine, that they would accept you if you've just missed your grades) you are in clearing. You will get a clearing number, which you'll need to keep hold of as unis will need that to look at your UCAS application while they decide if they can give you an offer.
Last year, around 75% of the 67,000 people who were placed in clearing applied in the main scheme (eg. before 30th June) and hence had the opportunity to get offers. I can't find any stats on how many had offers, but I'd imagine that most would have done (although they may have declined them if say they'd decided at the last minute to change course).
I hope that gives you some idea
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you just miss you grades do you need to call them/email them and ask if they can still accept you on results day?
And what if we were to get our grades remarked if we missed them initially and end up making the offer after? How would the uni be informed of that?
If you've received a decision on track, it's extremely unlikely that a uni would change their mind. You can still phone but it's likely to be a waste of time, unless you have any new information to give the uni. If you open track on results day, and you still have a conditional offer- meaning a uni hasn't made a decision yet- you should phone them ASAP to talk to them about what is happening.

You should always call as it's unlikely emails will be picked up.

If you decide to get a remark, this is one situation where you should call a uni even if they have rejected you. You should let them know you are getting a remark- then the uni will usually hold your place until August 31st to see if your grades go up. Unis don't absolutely have to hold your place in this way, but usually they will. Once they get the result of your remark, if they've held your place and made your conditions then you will be let in.

It's your responsibility to let the uni know what is going on and keep them updated. If you get a remark but don't tell the uni, it's unlikely you'll be able to get your place back.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Basically it's as explained above
One thing I'd add is if you're getting a remark, make sure it's a priority remark as that guarantees it to be back by August 31st, and so means your place should be held so long as you inform them you're going for a remark (although this isn't always the reality)

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads