VerAl1504
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm moving into an accomodation and I am only able to bring a limited amount of luggage due to flight restrictions. Since I need to but housewares, I am thinking about getting everything from UniKitOut but they are expensive. would it be cheaper to go and buy the things myself once I am there?
TSR_Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
stoicduality
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! Same problem here! My uni gives a 10% discount for Unikitout but I'm still not sure it would be worth it? I mean until today I thought it would be a really good deal but I am not sure anymore, I read on previous forums that you could save over 30% if you went out to buy the things yourself...
stoicduality
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! I just did the math and from IKEA you can get basically everything that the Unikitout (silver) pack (costs about 185 pounds) has for around 110-140 -pounds, depending on your choice of product. Plus, you get a good IKEA day out of it, haha!! Hope this helped xxx
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VerAl1504)
So I'm moving into an accomodation and I am only able to bring a limited amount of luggage due to flight restrictions. Since I need to but housewares, I am thinking about getting everything from UniKitOut but they are expensive. would it be cheaper to go and buy the things myself once I am there?
Ikea trip is definitely worth it. Those UniKitOut things always seem a bit of a bit of a rip off imo.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VerAl1504)
Cheaper from a supermarket - you are paying for the convenience. You can then only buy what you actually need.
amihalo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely just buy what you need from supermarkets and cheap shops like Boyes etc. Supermarkets usually have special offers on stuff that students need at the start of the uni year as well.

An IKEA trip would probably be too much of a hassle for start of year at York as the nearest is in Leeds.
LpoolLawStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am leaning towards doing it because they deliver all your items and the uni will have them ready in your room. If you wait until you're there then it means going out and hunting good deals. And everything is miles away from the campus in York.

But Argos is cheaper...
tylerberry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
buy your own! those uni kits will give you the basics, but buying you will be able to buy what you actually need. for example, someone who cooks more will need more kitchen items, or if you want more bowls instead of plates or different glasses, then you'll have the freedom to do so. plus its the first step to preparing for uni and really helps you visualise your uni experience.
my friend was an international student and arrived with nothing but soon did her shop for kitchen and bedroom items and it really helped her settle in. argos is pretty cheap and delivers, as does ikea, but places like sainsbury's and asda have a really good cheap range especially around start of year for students
zhingyung
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The best thing I found very useful about uni kit was that I arrived at 11.30pm GMT and had some beddings to sleep with. There was one thing missing in error but they refunded me straight away. Also my residence has induction and they have pans for this. I was also very pleased about the quality of the items in the parcel. The price for the things you get and the additional service is really perfect and I can highly recommend it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 30 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads