The Student Room Group

Hairline receding at 17

I know it's due to genetics (dad and grandad is bald) and all but surely my hair line should not be receding and falling out at 17?

My GP gave me anti-dandruff shampoo which is very strong and I have started hair and multivitamin tablets daily.

I also am on testosterone injections as I cannot produce it normally due to a condition so it may be due to this?

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I know it's due to genetics (dad and grandad is bald) and all but surely my hair line should not be receding and falling out at 17?

My GP gave me anti-dandruff shampoo which is very strong and I have started hair and multivitamin tablets daily.

I also am on testosterone injections as I cannot produce it normally due to a condition so it may be due to this?

Any advice?

I am a 35 years old white male, and I think I first noticed that my hair began receding when I was 16. With me, it is most likely genetic too (and the particular pattern) - on the male line of my late father.

Any advice?

if the shampoo from the gp isnt working then there are loads out there you can try but if it is genetics maybe shave it short then people notice it less if that is your worry?? x
It could be a mature hairline. Google if you don't know what it looks like. If you are losing hair dw, the Rock is bald
Reply 4

Any advice?

Minoxidil as a holding strategy; finasteride for ultimate retention. The former transformed this back to this within three months (and also thickened my eyebrows—although that was more of a fringe-benefit). The latter has in rare cases been associated with impotence, amongst other, less debilitating side-effects, but remains one of only two proven long-term pharmacological solutions for male-pattern (i.e. terminal) baldness.
(edited 5 years ago)
Tours over boyo.

I'd LDAR.
or
Go bald.
If your hairline is following the Hamilton-Norwood scale, you'll need to accept that you have early-onset genetic male pattern baldness. You can slow down the progression, but you will still ultimately go bald.

You need to act NOW if you want to do this. I would recommend trying Finasteride. You can get the from online pharmacies such as Pharmica, MedExpress or UKMeds for approx £20. I'd also purchase a pill cutter and cut them into two, taking 0.5mg per day. Half a pill is very nearly as effective as 1mg, plus it will save you money. Minoxidil and Nizoral will help speed up the regrowth, but Finasteride is the real deal because it attacks the route cause. Yes, there is a possibility that you will get side effects. If you do, and they become unbearable, you will need to discontinue treatment.

You need to start thinking about this long term. It may turn out that you choose to just embrace your baldness eventually. However, you are very young, and multiple studies (cba to cite, so pls use GoogleScholar) have shown that bald and balding men are perceived as older and less attractive. So if you wish not to embrace it, then ignore our society's janus-faced standards on baldness and do what's right for you. Hair Transplants will not work, because you are balding so young. A hairpiece may be a viable option, although maintenance and paranoia may make it not appeal to you. It's very much a personal preference. Scalp Micropigmentation also work for you, when it gets to the point of no return. It's a great compromise between being bald and having hair, and there's no worry about receding hair blowing around in the wind or hairpiece bonds breaking.

Regardless, you should thoroughly do your research before going through with anything, weighing up the pros and cons of all treatments. Sorry you are going through this, and good luck.
Honestly, you are probably best to get used to it, my brother started thinning when he was 18 and was almost fully bald by 25. Just keep it short and don't try to hold onto what you have remaining cuz that never looks good... Lots of guys go bald early and sounds like you're no exception, its not a problem so just embrace it rather than fight it and not worry so much :smile:
Reply 8
You can't really help it so (no hate) but if you get embarrassed get a wig >.<

Quick Reply

Latest