The Student Room Group

Precooked or not?

I just ate some Itsu chicken gyoza and am a little worried. The microwave I have at home is much more powerful than the ones usually stated on packets for things like these so I initially put them in for a bit less time than was instructed (stupidly). I started to eat them when I realised the inside was completely cold, after taking a bite. I am wondering whether any of this will have been precooked or if I should be worrying about food poisoning... Does anyone have any idea about whether or not they are?

Scroll to see replies

Was it pink before cooking?
Original post by random_matt
Was it pink before cooking?

You can't tell because it's inside a dumpling thing and I didn't think to cut them open. The inside didn't look particularly pink once 'cooked' though, but I wasn't really looking and it was mixed in with other stuff I assume. Sorry if that wasn't any help...
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur10
You can't tell because it's inside a dumpling thing and I didn't think to cut them open. The inside didn't look particularly pink once 'cooked' though, but I wasn't really looking and it was mixed in with other stuff I assume.

Where did you buy it from?
Where did you buy it from?

My parents bought them so I'm not sure but they are from a company called Itsu. I can't seem to find anything about whether they are precooked or not on their website or on the packaging but I was wondering if these things are generally cooked beforehand or not.
If it was cold inside surely just putting it back in the microwave is good enough?
Original post by hello_shawn
If it was cold inside surely just putting it back in the microwave is good enough?

Yeah but I'd already taken a bite which is how I knew it was cold. The outside was really hot but the filling was cold. I did put the rest back in and ate them all fully cooked though so yes.
Yes it's precooked.
If it's these: https://www.itsu.com/grocery/hot-snacks-meals/chicken-gyoza/
They are pre-cooked, no way they can't be with such short cooking times.
You can even email them to ask.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Yes it's precooked.

I hope you're right! I have a feeling right now I should just stop worrying and posting questions like this since I'll end up thinking myself sick lol...
Yeah but I'd already taken a bite which is how I knew it was cold. The outside was really hot but the filling was cold. I did put the rest back in and ate them all fully cooked though so yes.

I do that when I prepare food for myself, never had any issues apart from a bit of diarrhoea
Microwave won’t properly cook chicken so microwave meals are always pre cooked
You can even email them to ask.

I guess I could ask them. I was thinking about that but I was conscious that they may take a long time especially as it is the evening.
If it's these: https://www.itsu.com/grocery/hot-snacks-meals/chicken-gyoza/
They are pre-cooked, no way they can't be with such short cooking times.

You don't even need that tbh as if it's going to tell you on the packet to cook raw chicken in a microwave :biggrin:

How would you even tell if the juices run clear when the chicken is inside something?
Original post by hello_shawn
I do that when I prepare food for myself, never had any issues apart from a bit of diarrhoea

Thank you for the reassurance. I keep telling myself that people eat raw chicken on purpose all the time (not quite true but...) and are still fine but oh well I guess I'll just have to wait.
I guess I could ask them. I was thinking about that but I was conscious that they may take a long time especially as it is the evening.

I bet you won't stop thinking about it if you don't, however, me and others are convinced they are pre-cooked.
I hope you're right! I have a feeling right now I should just stop worrying and posting questions like this since I'll end up thinking myself sick lol...

Original post by Milax1x
Microwave won’t properly cook chicken so microwave meals are always pre cooked

This. It's precooked stop worrying and enjoy your chicken thingy.
You don't even need that tbh as if it's going to tell you on the packet to cook raw chicken in a microwave :biggrin:

How would you even tell if the juices run clear when the chicken is inside something?

Guess so.

That's what I thought but I guess I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. I did hear that it only takes around 10 minutes to cook a chicken breast (maybe wrong) in a microwave though... so I was wondering that maybe because the pieces are smaller it wouldn't take even that?

Quick Reply

Latest