Backlash over She-Ra's redesign, what do you think? Watch

Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So She-Ra is returning to out screens in November this year however an early look has sparked outrage with fans suggesting she's been turned into a young femi-boy or looks like Tom Holland :curious:

Old VS New

Negative Tweets

To me the reason for the backlash is that she's no longer this somewhat sexual hero many fans idealised. She's been redesigned for a younger audience, to inspire a new generation. A similar backlash occurred with Star Wars Forces of Destiny. Yet again aimed at a younger target audience.

Do you think they should have stuck with the old design but modernised it? Or is this youngified version acceptable?
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wouldn't you have to be like 45 to appreciate the difference?
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sam from totally spies is still the hottest cartoon character anyway lol

(Original post by Reue)
She-Ra might :giggle:
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah, She-Ra is still cool :flute: :ninja:
She-Ra
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 8472)
So She-Ra is returning to out screens in November this year however an early look has sparked outrage with fans suggesting she's been turned into a young femi-boy or looks like Tom Holland :curious:

Old VS New

Negative Tweets

To me the reason for the backlash is that she's no longer this somewhat sexual hero many fans idealised. She's been redesigned for a younger audience, to inspire a new generation. A similar backlash occurred with Star Wars Forces of Destiny. Yet again aimed at a younger target audience.

Do you think they should have stuck with the old design but modernised it? Or is this youngified version acceptable?
I really love the fan art on Twitter, it's beautiful and reflects her new image. I was scrolling through it last night.

I can understand why there has been a bit of an outrage about it. I think there is a lot of nostalgia around She-Ra and people just don't feel connected to the new version in the same way because they haven't been on a journey with her yet.

I feel like they have taken years off She-Ra, her updated version is a young girl, 80s She-Ra could be late twenties and her voice suggests she has years on the 2018 version.

(Original post by Trinculo)
Wouldn't you have to be like 45 to appreciate the difference?
Kids of the 80s will remember She-Ra

(Original post by Reue)
Mmm the internet definitely cares, there's been a lot of debate about this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.97%
No (134)
74.03%

Watched Threads