The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The Orientalist
13% pork? More than enough for me! :biggrin:

Na seriously apart from the curry sauce and the sausages, most other stuff are pretty decent (i.e not healthy, but not quite rat poison either). So I'm fine with that. To be honest even if I did buy the slightly healthier stuff, I'll struggle to go above 25£: my range of food isn't very diverse.

It's not the pork I'm worried about, it's the other 87%!

Also, I won't touch tesco value mince, unless I'm planning to stew it for at least 3 hours. Otherwise I find it practically inedible. And that bag of frozen value mince... you all know the one... the one that looks like cat litter.... *shudders*. :s-smilie:

happydinosaur

I love bulk buying. Get massive crates of orange juice/beans/tinned tomatoes at the start of each term from a wholesale place and then they last all term.

However most other stuff I don't buy in bulk because it is impossible to carry it home and/or it isn't sold. When they start selling wholewheat pasta in bulk I'm there. Fruit and veg are another thing really...tend to buy as and when simply because it will go off/be heavy.

No idea how much I spend on food. Most of my money to be honest because I prefer cooking to drinking. Cooking with people is the best way to save money, I do a lot of cooking with my boyfriend.

I totally agree, I head to Bookers before the start of term and stock up on all sorts. Particularly sauces, herbs and spices. You can also get decent slabs of meat for cheaper than the supermarkets. I got some fantastic beef cuts, and a whole ham, and also my Find of the Year award goes to "bacon bits", a 1.2kg bag of slightly misshapen but top-quality bacon rashers for £1.80. Joy!

I actually disagree - I cook a lot too, especially with my girlfriend, and I've found I've spent a lot more on cooking so far this year than on drinking all of last year.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
3kg of pasta lasts me about 10 days...... at the most 2 weeks. Thats how come I get through £40 a week on food. :wink:
Reply 22
Nice work with the pasta consumage!!
Reply 23
I'm amazed you haven't turned into a piece of pasta
aza484
It's not the pork I'm worried about, it's the other 87%!

Also, I won't touch tesco value mince, unless I'm planning to stew it for at least 3 hours. Otherwise I find it practically inedible. And that bag of frozen value mince... you all know the one... the one that looks like cat litter.... *shudders*. :s-smilie:

I totally agree, I head to Bookers before the start of term and stock up on all sorts. Particularly sauces, herbs and spices. You can also get decent slabs of meat for cheaper than the supermarkets. I got some fantastic beef cuts, and a whole ham, and also my Find of the Year award goes to "bacon bits", a 1.2kg bag of slightly misshapen but top-quality bacon rashers for £1.80. Joy!

I actually disagree - I cook a lot too, especially with my girlfriend, and I've found I've spent a lot more on cooking so far this year than on drinking all of last year.

I guess it depends on what you cook and who with, my boyfriend doesn't eat much so that might have something to do with it and I spend stupid amount of money on food anyway. Baking hit my bank balance hard first year.

Costco for me. Went the other evening and stocked up for summer term. I will never run out of juice or tinned goods:p:
Reply 25
Agreed, baking is pricey. but fun and tasty!
Reply 26
I spend way too much, although I'm trying to eat a lot for a gym routine! But I'm getting better. I think alcohol is my biggest expenditure, I need to stop that bad boy.
Reply 27
Haha Ant, its a classic. Particularly as we live in an area where alcohol is hardly cheap. Unless you want to brave kelseys... hehe.
Reply 28
aza484
Haha Ant, its a classic. Particularly as we live in an area where alcohol is hardly cheap. Unless you want to brave kelseys... hehe.

kelseys is by far the best pub in leamington

by so far
Reply 29
aza484

I know. It's very annoying! Both the lack of competition and the semi-pretentious area keeps those prices nice and high. On a plus, I can go to central London and have a pint for £3.00 and not complain and be amazed when I find one for £2.50.
Reply 30
happydinosaur
I guess it depends on what you cook and who with, my boyfriend doesn't eat much so that might have something to do with it and I spend stupid amount of money on food anyway. Baking hit my bank balance hard first year.

Costco for me. Went the other evening and stocked up for summer term. I will never run out of juice or tinned goods:p:

where is the nearest costco?
dothehustle
where is the nearest costco?

The nearest to uni is Birmingham. Luckily I live near two at home.

Latest

Trending

Trending