The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ask if you can stay just until uni starts. Contact student finance and ask about applying without patents eg emancipated. Tigger999 might know more. Your student loan should cover accommodation but it depends a little on your parents income. You'd also have to budget carefully and may be find a job if you need to support yourself over summer too. If your parents know you'll be gone maybe they'll give you time.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
So is it because they don't like you or just because of the driving thing? Kicking someone out because you're sick of driving them places just seems weird. Surely the more sensible approach is just to tell them they'll have to start making their own way there? My mum doesn't drive and I'm always driving her about places even though I have my own life, but she's my mum so I do it. I know she'd do the same for me if she drove and I didn't and I had regular appointments to attend.

She basically said she’s tired of dealing with my mental health issues and taking me to appointments. I started having issues 3 years ago and I haven’t improved and so she said I’m making her life miserable. I said I didn’t choose to have mental health issues but she doesn’t care. She wouldn’t let me get a sentence in on the car journey home, so I couldn’t even say anything in defence. Ultimately she doesn’t like who I am at the end of the day.
Original post by doodle_333
Ask if you can stay just until uni starts. Contact student finance and ask about applying without patents eg emancipated. Tigger999 might know more. Your student loan should cover accommodation but it depends a little on your parents income. You'd also have to budget carefully and may be find a job if you need to support yourself over summer too. If your parents know you'll be gone maybe they'll give you time.

Okay I understand thanks for the advice. I just have no clue where I’m gong to live until university. I maybe have enough money to live somewhere for 2 weeks but I have to wait until the middle of September to move into my accommodation.
I don't have any real advice for you so I apologise, but I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry you're going through this. I don't know how any parent can turn their back on a child, and I am very sorry that this has happened.
Reply 24
Damn, that sucks.. I think the best decision is to ask her to let you stay until you go to uni so you can maybe find some sort of accommodation there?
Personally, I'm in the opposite situation, my parents want me to stay until I'm like 25-30 :/
Original post by Joshjones4800
Yeah so apparently I’ve been ruining my mum and dads life for the last 3 years with my depression and anxiety. My mum said she’s had enough of taking me to appointments and psychiatrists and professionals etc. Anyone got any ideas about what I could do- I have nowhere to live?
Please could someone give me some quick advice as my mum wants me to leave as soon as possible and I have nowhere to live. I have no friends I could live with. I’m 18 by the way just finished my A-level exams and was planning to go to university but obviously that can’t happen now.

You should start by going to council to see if they can give you a house ,you can at least be put on the list .after you have somewhere to live you could maybe start university the year after
Original post by zerex
Damn, that sucks.. I think the best decision is to ask her to let you stay until you go to uni so you can maybe find some sort of accommodation there?
Personally, I'm in the opposite situation, my parents want me to stay until I'm like 25-30 :/

I’m already on the street it’s too late. I just got kicked out. No clue where I’m going but I’m just walking around aimlessly at the moment. Trying to look up homeless shelters.
Original post by Volibear
It's probably not want you want to hear but I suggest asking your friends. Given your situation you have nothing to lose and only something to gain. You could even (and probably should) offer to pay for your keep while you're there. It may be embarrassing but it's your least complicated option right now.

I’m probably going to see how I find it living on the street tonight and if I can’t cope, then I will. I have some money but gonna have to ration it wisely.
Original post by random_matt
You can go to uni, SFE will give you money just like every other student.

Please can you tell me who to contact about sorting out my accommodation at uni, and who should I tell at the uni about my situation?(or should I at all)
Please can you tell me who to contact about sorting out my accommodation at uni, and who should I tell at the uni about my situation?(or should I at all)

Justy contact the uni you want to go to.
Reply 30
I’m probably going to see how I find it living on the street tonight and if I can’t cope, then I will. I have some money but gonna have to ration it wisely.

I do not know whether this is a troll or something.....but man stay strong. I find airports pretty comfy to sleep...nobody bothers u...and such public places. You could easily stay up there for 3 days or so...until you build up a plan. Try it out today.... please contact your friends ...maybe they can help you
Okay thanks. Do you think I should look for a homeless shelter until university starts? I have nowhere to live and I highly doubt any friends will let me stay in their house. Am packing a bag as I write this btw

Have you asked any of them? Asked family?
Reply 32
Original post by Volibear
You would have live on the street than ask somebody to let you sleep on their sofa for even a night?

I suggest telling uni because you'll most likely be entitled to hardship funds once you're enrolled.

I do not know how safe it is to approach a total stranger. Airports seem safer *bus stations*. Once I spent 50 hours waiting for a layover....nothing happened to me
Yeah so apparently I’ve been ruining my mum and dads life for the last 3 years with my depression and anxiety. My mum said she’s had enough of taking me to appointments and psychiatrists and professionals etc. Anyone got any ideas about what I could do- I have nowhere to live?
Please could someone give me some quick advice as my mum wants me to leave as soon as possible and I have nowhere to live. I have no friends I could live with. I’m 18 by the way just finished my A-level exams and was planning to go to university but obviously that can’t happen now.

sorry to hear that mate. You can still go uni as you can get student loans, tuition fees and bursaries but also let student financial support officers at the uni know your current living arrangements and speak to a uni finance support to help with situation. As someone who had literally no income during final year at uni and was forced to miss a lot, the only advice I can say is hang in there, explore all options and just take care of yourself
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BioOx
I do not know whether this is a troll or something.....but man stay strong. I find airports pretty comfy to sleep...nobody bothers u...and such public places. You could easily stay up there for 3 days or so...until you build up a plan. Try it out today.... please contact your friends ...maybe they can help you

It’s not a troll, am seriously just looking for advice. And okay thanks will try get to my nearest airport. But surely they won’t let you stay overnight?. Just gonna watch a ton of Netflix or listen to loud music to make me forget how ****ed I am.

@Tigger999 your help is needed old friend

If you need urgent accommodation (like mum kicks you out before you've set up other accommodation) you can try talking to the council or a shelter. You can also call the mix for support and advice.

You can still go to uni. SFE will still give you money. They do base that on how much your paren's earn, but if they are not willing to contribute I believe you can have that disregarded somehow (you can talk to SFE about that- we have a forum on TSR where you can talk to them).

All unis have a student support team who can help you with pretty much anything. You should be able to find their contact details on the uni website, but if not you can contact anybody at the uni and they should be able to give you the right contact.
If you have a difficult situation they can give you extra help including helping set you up with accommodation past the deadline and I believe help with costs.
Reply 37
It’s not a troll, am seriously just looking for advice. And okay thanks will try get to my nearest airport. But surely they won’t let you stay overnight?. Just gonna watch a ton of Netflix or listen to loud music to make me forget how ****ed I am.

Depends from airport to airport *Station to station*. Some will grab you and throw you out after 23.00 some will even welcome you *you get the point*

google it out...
Reply 38
Sounds like a troll post and seeking for attention. Every suggestion someone has thrown your way you just write an excuse. I'm sure your friends would take you in if you were homeless. I would take in any one of my mates for however long they needed if they got kicked out. Aslong as they were proactive in seeking a job and would pay some rent.

Uni would be covered with student loan, but might I suggest an apprenticeship? You earn, learn and get a qualification at the end of it. If you do a level 4 apprenticeship you even get a degree out of it.. whilst earning, and with the chance of a guaranteed job afterwards.

I'm on an apprenticeship wage of £29,000/annum at the moment, 2nd year.
Reply 39
That's harsh. It's not your fault that you feel depressed and anxious. Apply for student finance and student accommodation. Get your degree and try and get a part time job. Try and become more social and make friends because that will make life easier if they let you live with them after graduating until you are financially independent.

Latest

Trending

Trending