The Student Room Group

Medicine application to admission ratio at different Unis?

Hi guys I want to apply to do medicine at university and just for my knowledge I want to know which unis are easier to get in to. If you guys know the application to admission ratio for any university that provides a medicine course it would be very much appreciated.
Reply 1
You can find the ratios here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/medical-school-competition-ratios

However, it’s more important to apply to your strengths. No point applying to a 6:1 uni if your GCSEs aren’t good enough or you didn’t do well in the UKCAT and they look at those things.
Reply 2
Original post by Volibear
As @ax12 said. There is no medical school that is 'easier' to get in to. It all depends on the strength of your application. Get an amazingly good UKCAT score and your chances of getting an interview offer from Newcastle, for example, are much better than someone who has a lower score. Once you all have an interview offer though, it's a level playing field.

Okay thank you for the advice. My UKCAT is on Sept 15 and i will let you know what I get. However I want to know if BMAT is as important as UKCAT when applying to medicine universities.

Also what would be a strong UKCAT score.

Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by ax12
You can find the ratios here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/medicine/medical-school-competition-ratios

However, it’s more important to apply to your strengths. No point applying to a 6:1 uni if your GCSEs aren’t good enough or you didn’t do well in the UKCAT and they look at those things.

Thank you so much I will take a look at it.
Moved to medicine :smile:
Not necessarily. Some unis use interview academic Ukcat/bmat to give out offers.
Not always a good idea to use that.

You need to take in human factors, that every year it fluctuates.

One year it could be really slim and another really low. At most this happens because students look at the high chance and don't apply, meaning less applicants in general, so the rate goes up.

There are also times when this won't happen, due to other chances.
Original post by AliRiz1
Okay thank you for the advice. My UKCAT is on Sept 15 and i will let you know what I get. However I want to know if BMAT is as important as UKCAT when applying to medicine universities.

Also what would be a strong UKCAT score.

Thank you!

BMAT is important for BMAT uni's which is only 4 or 5 in the uk. Most are UKCAT unis(they use one or the other). For BMAT you just want a score above average in each section for the most part.
For UKCAT a strong score I'd say would be having 2800 total. However anything over 2600 would be good as you'd be above average(in general)
Original post by AliRiz1
Hi guys I want to apply to do medicine at university and just for my knowledge I want to know which unis are easier to get in to. If you guys know the application to admission ratio for any university that provides a medicine course it would be very much appreciated.

Its mentioned in the link, but do remember that application to offer ratio is superior in every way to application to place.
Reply 9
Original post by RickHendricks
Not always a good idea to use that.

You need to take in human factors, that every year it fluctuates.

One year it could be really slim and another really low. At most this happens because students look at the high chance and don't apply, meaning less applicants in general, so the rate goes up.

There are also times when this won't happen, due to other chances.

Okay Thank you for letting me know
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
Its mentioned in the link, but do remember that application to offer ratio is superior in every way to application to place.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind
Reply 11
Original post by AzureCeleste
BMAT is important for BMAT uni's which is only 4 or 5 in the uk. Most are UKCAT unis(they use one or the other). For BMAT you just want a score above average in each section for the most part.
For UKCAT a strong score I'd say would be having 2800 total. However anything over 2600 would be good as you'd be above average(in general)

Okay, I'll do my best in the UKCAT test. I've started the prep from now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending