reb3kah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
what is a mature student and what does it entail? I'm nowhere near applying for university yet but I'm wondering what this means for me and what kind of courses I can apply for that doesn't require any prior study/knowledge? currently I have interest in marine biology and various other ones. I didn't take any science in high school, how will that affect me now? Can I take a foundation year?
ThatSameCraig20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A 'mature student' is just anyone that is 21+ years of age at the start of their university studies.

Some may have qualifications from college that grant them direct passage onto their uni course of choice. If you don't have those qualifications, you can gain access via a 'foundation year' that more and more universities are offering these days.

Your best bet is to use the UCAS search tool. Perhaps type a subject you're interested in, followed by the word 'foundation'.

Good luck!
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Should be at least 30 in my opinion, seriously 21 years of age is a child.
reb3kah
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThatSameCraig20)
A 'mature student' is just anyone that is 21+ years of age at the start of their university studies.

Some may have qualifications from college that grant them direct passage onto their uni course of choice. If you don't have those qualifications, you can gain access via a 'foundation year' that more and more universities are offering these days.

Your best bet is to use the UCAS search tool. Perhaps type a subject you're interested in, followed by the word 'foundation'.

Good luck!
Ah, thank you! So you can study anything you desire? whether you have the correct requirements or not? My college offers it but you have to have done a BTEC in that particular course so I'm looking elsewhere.
reb3kah
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Should be at least 30 in my opinion, seriously 21 years of age is a child.
hmm, i think its fair for 21+ year olds who may not have got the grades they wanted from GCSE's, A levels or by other means or just couldn't study what they wanted because of limited options.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by reb3kah)
hmm, i think its fair for 21+ year olds who may not have got the grades they wanted from GCSE's, A levels or by other means or just couldn't study what they wanted because of limited options.
I was 23 with decent qualifications (very good GCSEs, decent A Levels) and classed as 'mature'. Lower entry reqs for the widening participation shite, was great.
ThatSameCraig20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah, thank you! So you can study anything you desire? whether you have the correct requirements or not? My college offers it but you have to have done a BTEC in that particular course so I'm looking elsewhere.
Your options will be a tad more limited than those that have the A Level qualifications, because not every university course offers a foundation year route. Different foundation years can also carry different entry requirements, so yeah, just be sure to do your research on UCAS before you apply. I'm sure you'll find something suitable!
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Access Courses are an easy, direct route in.
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Being a mature student only refers to age. You still need to meet the requirements for the course (although if you talk to the uni/ college they may accept an equivalent or make an exception in some cases). It's pretty much just a nicer way to refer to "old" students.
username3509418
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what is a mature student and what does it entail? I'm nowhere near applying for university yet but I'm wondering what this means for me and what kind of courses I can apply for that doesn't require any prior study/knowledge? currently I have interest in marine biology and various other ones. I didn't take any science in high school, how will that affect me now? Can I take a foundation year?
It means nothing really, I'm a mature student (24) and just finished my 1st uni year. Was 23 when I started uni.

I haven't been treated any differently to any other student, apart from a few extra sessions during freshers for older people getting back into education. But I came straight from college full time education anyway so wasn't relevant to me
reb3kah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Taurus5)
It means nothing really, I'm a mature student (24) and just finished my 1st uni year. Was 23 when I started uni.

I haven't been treated any differently to any other student, apart from a few extra sessions during freshers for older people getting back into education. But I came straight from college full time education anyway so wasn't relevant to me
thank you! did you take a gap year or anything like that?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Seamus123
reb3kah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kindred)
Being a mature student only refers to age. You still need to meet the requirements for the course (although if you talk to the uni/ college they may accept an equivalent or make an exception in some cases). It's pretty much just a nicer way to refer to "old" students.
as someone said earlier 21+ is still young so why can't we be put with younger students as well say have one for 18-25, I get on fine with peers who are younger than me, in fact there's not that much of an age difference tbh. 25+ or even 30+ could have their own study halls.
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
as someone said earlier 21+ is still young so why can't we be put with younger students as well say have one for 18-25, I get on fine with peers who are younger than me, in fact there's not that much of an age difference tbh. 25+ or even 30+ could have their own study halls.
I guess they need to draw the line at some point. It sounds pretty un-mature to me too.
reb3kah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kindred)
I guess they need to draw the line at some point. It sounds pretty un-mature to me too.
really though, It sounds much like when people say BTEC isn't as clever or rewarding as having A*'s in every subject. I don't like the sound of being categorised as an 'old' student lol can they stop making me feel older?
Ridinghigh95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi. I’m starting uni this year to study biology. I’m 28, and never did a levels etc. I have just completed an access course. Surely you need to do some sort of a level or access course to even do the foundation year if you have nothing like me? Anyway if you do an access course, it’s only 9 months and will set you up pretty good .
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Seamus123
I think there will be an expectation of some kind of prior study. I did an Access to the Humanities in 1998, but previous to that had no formal education whatsoever. All of the mature students in my class had done an Access Course prior to getting onto the degree - including those younger mature students in their 20s and going up to their 30s and then me at 70. We all felt that we wouldn’t have been able to get through the degree without doing the Access course.
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It’s any students over the age of 21... but the age really should be higher but the term mature student what’s with That? Ha e toy ever met a student who acts mature? I haven’t.
username3509418
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thank you! did you take a gap year or anything like that?
I left college at 17 and started working and restarted college at 21, finished college at 23 when starting uni
reb3kah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Taurus5)
I left college at 17 and started working and restarted college at 21, finished college at 23 when starting uni
what did you choose to study? I would have no clue how to choose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (53)
28.19%
No (135)
71.81%

Watched Threads