The Student Room Group

British History coursework

Hi guys, I am doing the OCR A level history (Y112) and needed your help on the question I was given for the coursework (unit Y100): "The Liberal reforms of 1906-14 failed to tackle the problems of poverty in Britain effectively", How far do you agree with this view.
I specifically wished to know what is the best way to go about answering this quation as in the essay structurre, collecting sources (primary and seocndary) etc.
Original post by Raju1523
Hi guys, I am doing the OCR A level history (Y112) and needed your help on the question I was given for the coursework (unit Y100): "The Liberal reforms of 1906-14 failed to tackle the problems of poverty in Britain effectively", How far do you agree with this view.
I specifically wished to know what is the best way to go about answering this quation as in the essay structurre, collecting sources (primary and seocndary) etc.

No idea, but do your research first.

You can start off with a basic plan and direction by thinking what questions need asking and answering.

What was the timeline and what happened between 1906-14?
What was happening politically to the liberals.
What were the issues of poverty? [ get facts and understand why it was an issue, who it affected and why people wanted it tackled].
Why was it desirous to tackle them? What were the potential benefits and drawbacks? For society and the politicians.
What were the liberal reforms? Who implemented , when and why?
Cost and intended benefits?
How successful were they?

Once you have mastered the period and events form your plentiful research you can then start to shape your essay.

It will normally be along the lines:

In 1906 the state of the country was X and one of the issues was poverty.
This affected the country in Z ways.
Dues to this the liberals proposed a serious of reforms to tackle poverty with the following aims.
By 1914 these were completed.

This essay considers the view that such reforms were ineffective..
My view is as usual the results were a mixed bag and they were effective in some areas, but less so in others,

I would then set out a plan to investigate key targets in tackling poverty.
Homelessness. and Housing.
Employment
Hunger
Health
Education.

Your research should tell you what the issues were. You can then say

What the problem was, what they did, how successful it was, what the remaining issues were. You cna then do that for each one.

You can then return to the essay and do your evaluative conclusion.

After my investigation I have decided the liberal reforms had x aims, but succeeded in Y terms but failed in Z areas. When compared to the title I agree, agree slightly or disagree that they failed to tackle poverty.

Then your additional evaluative insight of why certain things were effective and why certain things failed. You can the finish with your analysis of how they tackled it good or bad and what the long lasting consequences were of the effort,

Once you have done the research you can shape and amend your plan to suit. You can find your own source material from reading, googling and using the library. It should eb things that help you with the above areas.
Reply 2
Thankyou so very much. I am actually speechless at the amount of help you have provided me. It’s actually much more clear to me than my teachers have explained tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest