At a Crossroads: Unsure What to Do? Watch

inadarkwood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I've followed TSR forums for years but finally making my own post. I'm a disabled student with Cerebral Palsy, and I graduated recently. During my final year I got a Students with Disabilities Officer Job at my Student Union. The job is unpaid, and there's an enormous amount of work to be done at my university as the Disability role has laid dormant for around eight years. I was reluctant to do anymore education after my degree, but I let the Disability job decide it - if I got elected, I'd stay on and do a Masters. If I lost I'd return home and find a job. I got elected.

Yet as my degree looms, my apathy and misery towards it has only escalated. A Masters degree would bankrupt me currently. At my uni disabled students are forced to stay on campus as off campus accommodation isn't accessibility orientated in any way. Thus the slightly cheaper option is cut off to them (and me). The thought of the long hours this job will necessitate, and being unpaid, makes me miserable. Yet I feel like fellow disabled students are counting on me.

This summer the only thing that's kept me afloat has been teaching creative writing in schools. I've enjoyed it enormously, and I'd like to see more workshops in hospitals and hospices. On top of this I have a Guardian internship coming up, and they've hinted that they employ a large amount of their interns. It feels like I'm being pulled in many directions and I don't know what to do?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inadarkwood)
Hi everyone,

I've followed TSR forums for years but finally making my own post. I'm a disabled student with Cerebral Palsy, and I graduated recently. During my final year I got a Students with Disabilities Officer Job at my Student Union. The job is unpaid, and there's an enormous amount of work to be done at my university as the Disability role has laid dormant for around eight years. I was reluctant to do anymore education after my degree, but I let the Disability job decide it - if I got elected, I'd stay on and do a Masters. If I lost I'd return home and find a job. I got elected.

Yet as my degree looms, my apathy and misery towards it has only escalated. A Masters degree would bankrupt me currently. At my uni disabled students are forced to stay on campus as off campus accommodation isn't accessibility orientated in any way. Thus the slightly cheaper option is cut off to them (and me). The thought of the long hours this job will necessitate, and being unpaid, makes me miserable. Yet I feel like fellow disabled students are counting on me.

This summer the only thing that's kept me afloat has been teaching creative writing in schools. I've enjoyed it enormously, and I'd like to see more workshops in hospitals and hospices. On top of this I have a Guardian internship coming up, and they've hinted that they employ a large amount of their interns. It feels like I'm being pulled in many directions and I don't know what to do?
Think about what you want to do, not what you feel you should do. It seems to me that you would happier pursuing creative writing. Taking the university job with no pay, whilst doing a Masters at the same time, doesn't seem like it will benefit you. From your post, it sounds like you wouldn't be happy with this. You mention that there is a lot of work to be done in terms of disability at the uni, but this shouldn't be your responsibility only. The university should be working hard and putting resources to improve its resources for disabled students.

I would look forward to doing the internship and see what happens. Maybe you could create some workshops for writing at the same time?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with the above. Do what you want and not because others want you to do it.

I get the impression that you don't really want to do it and would rather just do the creative writing job?
Speckleification
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I've recently become disabled, or rather recently stopped fighting the label thats been chasing me for several years now and accepted that I am disabled but part of what helped that transition was a question my pain shrink asked me. "If you had everything you ever wanted and needed but still did something each week for your own personal fulfilment - what would you be doing?" My answer gave me the push I needed to apply to uni for the first time, a mere 11 years after the first opportunity came around. Whether your answer is writing or helping your fellow students or something totally off the board no matter which you choose, if it doesn't work out it isnt a wrong answer, sometimes it's just the scenic route
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate