preplexedstudent
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have no clue what to do for a levels. People say to choose what you love but I don't really enjoy many subjects at school due to some mental illnesses that impact this. I want to get into uni as well but I have no idea what I want to do. Some people are saying to pick courses that go well with each other to but I cant do that because I have a wide interest in things. So far ive thought of
business (however this isn't admired in uni) or economics (im not good at maths)
art (I havcent chosen this at gcse however I have a natural talent and was wondering if I should change my options now - im currently in y10 going into y11 this September)
and some other option such as geography (or a core subject however im not good at core subjects)
clearly these courses don't suit each other and aren't admired by unis either so please just give me some opinions.
Zzz0
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Chill out! You're only in year 10, a lot can happen in a year and especially over the year 11 exam period, you'll soon realise which subjects you're good at and enjoy studying and working hard on the most. Don't stress, even if you feel you chose the wrong A levels when you get to that stage, you can change them or you can always do extra years. Try not to dictate your life based on what is admired by unis, because different unis are of course going to rate highly on different things 🙂
randomsheep11
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tbh, you don't need to worry about this quite yet. Nevertheless, Geography and Economics go together very nicely. If you're up to it, maybe add a foreign language to that and boom, that's a pretty dope selection of subjects. Keep in mind, Geograpy is the only facilitating subject you've mentioned. Most uni's want their students to have at least 2 so maybe see which other facilitating subject you could pick as a third choice if you don't want to do a language. My friend does economics A Level and he is finding it fine despite getting a 4 in maths GCSE.
exam freak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Everyone should do Maths AS or A level as an absolute minimum, it has a huge influence on your future earnings and opportunities.
preplexedstudent
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks, i cant stand learning another language and for economics - i heard its super hard especially for people who are bad at maths as it involves a lot of maths. Maths a level is out of the question im struggling in gcse maths already.
OBAFGKM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Even if you made the wrong choice in terms of what a uni would want you can take a foundation year before the degree, I wouldn’t worry toooo much about making it specifically to the ‘right’ degree
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by preplexedstudent)
I have no clue what to do for a levels. People say to choose what you love but I don't really enjoy many subjects at school due to some mental illnesses that impact this. I want to get into uni as well but I have no idea what I want to do. Some people are saying to pick courses that go well with each other to but I cant do that because I have a wide interest in things. So far ive thought of
business (however this isn't admired in uni) or economics (im not good at maths)
art (I havcent chosen this at gcse however I have a natural talent and was wondering if I should change my options now - im currently in y10 going into y11 this September)
and some other option such as geography (or a core subject however im not good at core subjects)
clearly these courses don't suit each other and aren't admired by unis either so please just give me some opinions.
As has already been stated you have a year yet so do not worry. Most universities including nearly all the Russell Group do not require 2 core subjects. A set of A levels including Geography, another academic subject and business or Art will be acceptable nearly everywhere. This may include traditional subjects or Economics, Law, Politics, Geology, Psychology or Sociology. You might find universities wont accept Business and Economics together as these are similar subjects. You can also consider a btec perhaps in business. Most universities accept this as well.
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by exam freak)
Everyone should do Maths AS or A level as an absolute minimum, it has a huge influence on your future earnings and opportunities.
What if they have dyscalculia and seriously struggle with maths and only get a 4 in the GCSE?
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I only learnt what I was good at in year 11!
Don't stress really , just go with subjects that you would like to learn or have an interest in.
E.g. If you have an interest in sport try doing that
E.g. If you have a passion for art try doing that

Don't worry to much , if you are doing A levels and don't feel like they are going well you always have options.

You could try looking into btecs or apprenticeships

Virajm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Econ A Level is completely different from University Economics. A Level Economics has little to none of mathematics. But UNI economics is all maths, hardly anything else. Check the specifications of subjects. See what you like, as econ a level has some cool topics, like how businesses are formed, merger types, development economics etc. It is split half micro and half macro, and AS level econ is macro GCSE econ, (Unit 12 AQA GCSE for old spec), so it is calm. However, i was warned there are hundreds of case studies to memorise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (732)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (925)
42.76%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads