The Student Room Group

Is my Boyfriend a Momma's boy?

We've been in a serious relationship for about 15 months. He's never had a serious relationship before myself. We live together (We rent the house off his parents) He has a lovely family, I really do enjoy their company, and they are kind to me and I'm grateful for that. However, he gossips to his Mother quite a bit. Other family members. Me. Sometimes he tells and invites me into the conversation. I did not. I don't like gossiping. I gently said to him, gossiping can be a form of bullying, you're better than that behaviour. He got defensive and started saying its non of my business, ''its MY family.'' But previous to that. He always said I'm apart of the family and his family love and welcome me. A few months ago, I told my Boyfriend the most personal and intimate thing about me. He told his Mother. In his words 'Just making conversation. Because I wanted too'. Ee had a miscarriage. I was in a bad way in the hospital. I understand he needed to tell work he will be absent for a few days. But he was quick to tell his Mother and his Mother basically said ''She's probably just having a period.'' I needed him that night. He kept going outside to speak to her.
These are just a few examples. Examples that have been hurting me the most for a while. He does see his family a lot. They live up the street. I'm glad he has a relationship with them. Is this going to get worse? Am I with a man that is still being breastfed by his Mother? Will he ever cut the apron strings? Or do I need to deal with my feelings and get over it? I'm not trying to get in the way or take anyone's place. I let him have his days with his family without me all the time. What do you all suggest?
I would probably just sit him down and talk to him, if he continues this sort of behaviour then you should end it because I imagine it could become quite mentally draining since you won't be able to trust your partner as much as you would like to it seems.
Original post by Teacup:)
We've been in a serious relationship for about 15 months. He's never had a serious relationship before myself. We live together (We rent the house off his parents) He has a lovely family, I really do enjoy their company, and they are kind to me and I'm grateful for that. However, he gossips to his Mother quite a bit. Other family members. Me. Sometimes he tells and invites me into the conversation. I did not. I don't like gossiping. I gently said to him, gossiping can be a form of bullying, you're better than that behaviour. He got defensive and started saying its non of my business, ''its MY family.'' But previous to that. He always said I'm apart of the family and his family love and welcome me. A few months ago, I told my Boyfriend the most personal and intimate thing about me. He told his Mother. In his words 'Just making conversation. Because I wanted too'. Ee had a miscarriage. I was in a bad way in the hospital. I understand he needed to tell work he will be absent for a few days. But he was quick to tell his Mother and his Mother basically said ''She's probably just having a period.'' I needed him that night. He kept going outside to speak to her.
These are just a few examples. Examples that have been hurting me the most for a while. He does see his family a lot. They live up the street. I'm glad he has a relationship with them. Is this going to get worse? Am I with a man that is still being breastfed by his Mother? Will he ever cut the apron strings? Or do I need to deal with my feelings and get over it? I'm not trying to get in the way or take anyone's place. I let him have his days with his family without me all the time. What do you all suggest?

You need to talk to him and set some boundaries. Say it's fine for him to be close to his family but there are some things that are between you two and nobody else. If he isn't sure if something will cross a boundary he should wait and ask you first before saying anything. If he continually disrespects the boundaries then you might have to reconsider if you want to be with him long term.
Reply 3
Original post by Teacup:)

Precis the question... omg. Is like reading a thesis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending