Any help to get over my phobia?

Watch
Tj8
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Basically as above - I'm scared of moths. Whether they are big or small, I'm scared of them all!!
It took me two hours to get into my bed because a moth landed on it twice and I was scared even to go back into my room. So instead of going to bed at 10 I'm now trying to calm down by typing this in my bed.
People don't believe that this is a serious phobia but it is, I avoid eating outside in the evening with my family because of it and have all the windows closed even though it's so hot for fear of moths getting in! Even with the lights out they seem to come in :-(.
I know it's a stupid fear to have as they are not going to harm me - or at least that's what everyone says - but I can't get over it!
Any help? Anyone else got strange phobias?
T xx
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Bump...
username4187242
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tbh I’m scared af too I ran so fast from one today my toe did a 360 backflip snm
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
moths are cute, hate seeing them die in my room
Tj8
Rep:
?
(Original post by nooryyxx)
Tbh I’m scared af too I ran so fast from one today my toe did a 360 backflip snm
Man, I feel the pain! Happens all the time to me!
x
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, you're not made of wool, so you have nothing to worry about!! If you own a lot of woolens, i'd suggest buying some moth flakes. Cheers.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
omg every time I’m in the shower a moth has to be there so I spaz out and attack it with my loofa and shampoo bottles 😂😂😂😂
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
omg every time I’m in the shower a moth has to be there so I spaz out and attack it with my loofa and shampoo bottles 😂😂😂😂
Yup, always in the most annoying places. Lol though!
x
Rabbit2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spiders [in fact all predators] are our friends. Were it not for them, flies, mosquitoes, wasps, would bedevil us constantly. If you are afraid of moths, raise some spiders. They will take care of the moths. If you have mice, encourage some black snakes. I have a pair of blacks around my house in the country. They keep the mice down very well. There may be more than one pair, but i've seen 2 together, so i know i've got a pair. They were in the process of making more blacksnakes when last i saw them (on my front porch). If i could get them to inspect the inside of my house periodically, i wouldn't need mouse traps. Cheers.
Rabbit2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry, the spiders will only help wth moths, mosquitos, flies and such. No help for mice, rats, snakes, bats, or demons. Possibly cockroaches, but i'm not sure. I have noted that spiders usually hang upside down on their webs (at least mine do). Have your considered buying a book on spiders? Gathering some info on them might make them more appealing.

I do have a mouse problem, but i'm getting it under control. There are still a few holes somewhere. I now catch about 2 or 3 a week. Used to be 10 or 12. Cheers.
Tj8
Rep:
?
Juat killed a moth right on my bed and then another on my door so that my door's now smeared with a mark of moth blood 🙄😓.
I didn't really mean to kill them - just trap them.
Tj8
Rep:
?
Accidental - it was me.
x
Itsadaisy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel your exact pain! I have a huge phobia of moths but because they are so tiny and harmless it isnt taken seriously.

I feel like because I've killed so many this summer, I'm beginning to become less fearful of them. Also one landed on me without me noticing, I didn't die. I'm still scared of them but not as scared as I was before.

But smh they always fly into my room like they know.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I for one have a phobia of dogs. And spiders.
Sadieleigh95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tj8)
Basically as above - I'm scared of moths. Whether they are big or small, I'm scared of them all!!
It took me two hours to get into my bed because a moth landed on it twice and I was scared even to go back into my room. So instead of going to bed at 10 I'm now trying to calm down by typing this in my bed.
People don't believe that this is a serious phobia but it is, I avoid eating outside in the evening with my family because of it and have all the windows closed even though it's so hot for fear of moths getting in! Even with the lights out they seem to come in :-(.
I know it's a stupid fear to have as they are not going to harm me - or at least that's what everyone says - but I can't get over it!
Any help? Anyone else got strange phobias?
T xx
You will probably get ridiculed for your phobia because it will be seen as ‘silly’. But I personally have a ‘silly’ phobia and I’ve been receiving CBT therapy for it along with medication.

No matter how silly a phobia sounds to other people, if it is genuinely effecting your life and causing distress then you can seek help like CBT or medication
Tj8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sadieleigh95)
You will probably get ridiculed for your phobia because it will be seen as ‘silly’. But I personally have a ‘silly’ phobia and I’ve been receiving CBT therapy for it along with medication.

No matter how silly a phobia sounds to other people, if it is genuinely effecting your life and causing distress then you can seek help like CBT or medication
Thanks 😊.
x
Rabbit2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you restrict yourself to insects, the insect population of the average house, outnumbers the human population by about 10,000 to 1. Lots of little eyes are watching you ... 24/7. The good part is, they don't snore!! Cheers.
DieselGate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd choose a moth over a spider any day.
Rabbit2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DieselGate)
I'd choose a moth over a spider any day.
But spiders don't eat up your clothes. Nor do they fly about at night, occasionally waking you by flying into your ears. I use a fly-swatter on my moths, but occasionally - after swatting one, i'll catch it by a wing, and drop it into a nearby spider's web - thereby ensuring the moths demise, and helping out the spider a bit. Waste not, want not! Cheers.
DieselGate
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rabbit2)
But spiders don't eat up your clothes. Nor do they fly about at night, occasionally waking you by flying into your ears. I use a fly-swatter on my moths, but occasionally - after swatting one, i'll catch it by a wing, and drop it into a nearby spider's web - thereby ensuring the moths demise, and helping out the spider a bit. Waste not, want not! Cheers.
I haven't experienced moths eating up clothes before. But I love killing spiders, I get a thrill from it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.11%
I'm not sure (59)
4.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (385)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (645)
49.2%

Watched Threads