JessMcglashen3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys, I'm just after a bit of help.

I live in Scotland, and I've always dreamed of becoming a vet. However, I'm very certain my exams this year have let me down quite a bit, so applying directly for vetmed is not an option. I have participated in the Sutton Trust summer school, at the RVC in London, where I have learned about the opportunity of the gateway course.

I am really interested in this course, as it will help me achieve my goal and there are no opportunities like this in Scotland. It would really benefit me as once completing the year, you automatically receive a place in the vetmed course at the RVC. However, studying away from home isn't really something I can do due to family circumstances etc.

I was just wondering, if I was to be accepted into the gateway programme and completed the year, would it be possible for me to then transfer to Edinburgh or Glasgow to complete the vet med course? Or is that not allowed? Any help or advice will be appreciated
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think transfers would be accepted but there is never any harm in asking. What exams have you just sat, I presume Highers, and what are you studying this year coming? Are you on Reach? Whereabouts in Scotland are you based? I'm a qualified vet who mentors school students so I'm happy to discuss your options with you once you know what results you achieved this year if that helps.

(Original post by JessMcglashen3)
Hi guys, I'm just after a bit of help.

I live in Scotland, and I've always dreamed of becoming a vet. However, I'm very certain my exams this year have let me down quite a bit, so applying directly for vetmed is not an option. I have participated in the Sutton Trust summer school, at the RVC in London, where I have learned about the opportunity of the gateway course.

I am really interested in this course, as it will help me achieve my goal and there are no opportunities like this in Scotland. It would really benefit me as once completing the year, you automatically receive a place in the vetmed course at the RVC. However, studying away from home isn't really something I can do due to family circumstances etc.

I was just wondering, if I was to be accepted into the gateway programme and completed the year, would it be possible for me to then transfer to Edinburgh or Glasgow to complete the vet med course? Or is that not allowed? Any help or advice will be appreciated
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To my knowledge, currently being in the gateway year of the BVetMed course guarantees you an interview at several other vet schools if you wish, so potentially this is an option (I'm not sure if the Scottish vet schools are included, so double check this). It is extremely rare I will admit, since most people who start studying here wish to continue. Even if the Scottish universities aren't involved, you could potentially transfer somethere in England further north where it is cheaper to live.

EDIT:
"Upon successful completion of the Gateway Year students may automatically enrol for the five year BVetMed degree or seek entry to the veterinary schools of Bristol, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, Nottingham and Surrey."

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/...%20Gateway.pdf

JessMcglashen3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by animalmagic)
I don't think transfers would be accepted but there is never any harm in asking. What exams have you just sat, I presume Highers, and what are you studying this year coming? Are you on Reach? Whereabouts in Scotland are you based? I'm a qualified vet who mentors school students so I'm happy to discuss your options with you once you know what results you achieved this year if that helps.
I've just sat my highers, where i got A's in English, Maths and Human Biology, and B's in Chemistry, Physics and Art. I'm not part of the reach programme and i am based in fife. Any help or advice would be good, even if you had any tips for other pathways into VetMed in Scotland
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think I've just replied to your post on another thread?

Firstly is a re-mark an option in Chemistry (were you close to the grade boundary?)? The only real issue you have is a B in Chemistry when you needed an A.

Edinburgh seem to have changed their Reach criteria as it has joined pathways to the professions and it seems Fife schools are no longer included. This is unfortunate as I know someone who has got in from Fife this year with grades similar to yours including a B in chemistry. Quite a few of the Fife schools used to be eligible for Reach and it may still be worth contacting Edinburgh vet school admissions just to double check in case I have misunderstood and you are still eligible for contextual entry.

If not Glasgow might still work for you, again I would advise you email the Glasgow vet school admissions and ask them directly so that you know. If they both say no then unfortunately there is no way that I am aware of to study vet med in Scotland as neither allow resits and both charge very heavily for graduates to study there.

As per my other thread with English vet schools then Nottingham is still a possibility for 2019 entry and resits are not usually so much of a problem in England so you might find resting Chemistry Higher an option to be able to apply to other English universities as well. Again my advice is to email all the admissions departments and ask them the question directly. They are usually very helpful although may be extra busy this week due to the A level results being out this week.

I hope that helps a little.

(Original post by JessMcglashen3)
I've just sat my highers, where i got A's in English, Maths and Human Biology, and B's in Chemistry, Physics and Art. I'm not part of the reach programme and i am based in fife. Any help or advice would be good, even if you had any tips for other pathways into VetMed in Scotland
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (183)
43.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (48)
11.46%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.88%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.24%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
10.02%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (24)
5.73%

Watched Threads