The Student Room Group

Seriously doubting my life choices and future...

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to TSR and am just seeking general advice.

I feel like I'm always making the wrong decisions in life and don't have a clue how to fix them. I don't think I've made a right decision since starting my GCSEs, which was about four years ago now.

I'm potentially about to go onto University in a few months and am seriously doubting whether this is the right choice for me. I don't feel like I'm ready for it yet but feel slightly pressured by my family and friends to go this year. I feel that if I go and I don't enjoy it, I'll become more withdrawn and make a bigger mess of things. I feel that if I don't go, I'll be judged by others and have wasted my time revising a lot for A-Levels over being sociable, which has resulted in me losing a few friends.

I know I could always go next year and have a year out to decide what to do, but I don't have any ideas what to do with this time to fill the gap with. I've been told to look at apprenticeships and volunteering etc, but I want to have the experience of going to University and being able to give back to those who've helped me in the past.

Most people I know have a rough idea of what they want to do and how to get there but I don't have a definite idea of what career/job I want to do?

If anyone has any advice I'd kindly appreciate it...
P.S. Apologies for the long post, its been building up inside of me for a while and felt like I needed to get it out.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AJ_3003
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to TSR and am just seeking general advice.

I feel like I'm always making the wrong decisions in life and don't have a clue how to fix them. I don't think I've made a right decision since starting my GCSEs, which was about four years ago now.

I'm potentially about to go onto University in a few months and am seriously doubting whether this is the right choice for me. I don't feel like I'm ready for it yet but feel slightly pressured by my family and friends to go this year. I feel that if I go and I don't enjoy it, I'll become more withdrawn and make a bigger mess of things. I feel that if I don't go, I'll be judged by others and have wasted my time revising a lot for A-Levels over being sociable, which has resulted in me losing a few friends.

I know I could always go next year and have a year out to decide what to do, but I don't have any ideas what to do with this time to fill the gap with. I've been told to look at apprenticeships and volunteering etc, but I want to have the experience of going to University and being able to give back to those who've helped me in the past.

Most people I know have a rough idea of what they want to do and how to get there but I don't have a definite idea of what career/job I want to do?

If anyone has any advice I'd kindly appreciate it...
P.S. Apologies for the long post, its been building up inside of me for a while and felt like I needed to get it out.

I just graduated and can tell you. Uni is not something undertaken halfarsed. Its best to have a gap year or maybe ever 2 and figure out what you want in life. Your family will likely resign theirselfes from pressuring after a while when they realise you wont budge.

I was 24 when i started my degree after failing my gcses. And doing 2 years of college to get a level 2 btec so i can do level 3. Then after 3 years i finally did a level 3 and then took 1 year break before doing uni. I clawed my way up to here off my owm back after the pressure subsided
. If i did my degree and level 3 back to back at 18 omwards i would have crumbled.

Make your own decisions. You know what deep down you want to do bit of self validation and you will be fine.
Original post by arandomdude1990
I just graduated and can tell you. Uni is not something undertaken halfarsed. Its best to have a gap year or maybe ever 2 and figure out what you want in life. Your family will likely resign theirselfes from pressuring after a while when they realise you wont budge.

I was 24 when i started my degree after failing my gcses. And doing 2 years of college to get a level 2 btec so i can do level 3. Then after 3 years i finally did a level 3 and then took 1 year break before doing uni. I clawed my way up to here off my owm back after the pressure subsided
. If i did my degree and level 3 back to back at 18 omwards i would have crumbled.

Make your own decisions. You know what deep down you want to do bit of self validation and you will be fine.

Cheers for the advice, its given me a lot to think about. It's good to hear that you've got to where you wanted to be. Just got to see what results day brings now...

I'll have a look at what kinds of things I can do with my gap year and it might be exactly what I need to build my CV and make a more well-thought out decision for next year.

If I do get my expected results, do you think it'd be wise to defer entry or withdraw my application and re-apply next year??
Original post by AJ_3003
Cheers for the advice, its given me a lot to think about. It's good to hear that you've got to where you wanted to be. Just got to see what results day brings now...

I'll have a look at what kinds of things I can do with my gap year and it might be exactly what I need to build my CV and make a more well-thought out decision for next year.

If I do get my expected results, do you think it'd be wise to defer entry or withdraw my application and re-apply next year??

If you feel you can do the degree, and your more for than against, keep enrolled. but if you have too much self doubt etc, withdraw for now explain the situation and reapply after a year or 2 after you sorted out personal issues.
To get the best out of University you need to have a clearer idea of what you want to do in life.

From what you have said you are not ready yet.

I would suggest looking at apprenticeships for now to build confidence and work experience.

Go to your careers office at College and ask for information.

Also look at the apprenticeship section on this site.

This is not a second rate option to University but an option that allows you get experience of work in an area of
your interest.

Once you look at potential different apprenticeships you will find yourself drawn to jobs by interest and those
are the ones to apply for.

This will be an excellent addition to your CV and make you stand out from other's.

A degree is only valuable with work experience as you only get work skills by working.

You will only appreciate this point by experiencing full time work.

Colleges are judged by the proportion going to University.

This is why they are so anxious to get you there.

Do the best thing for you not them.
Original post by arandomdude1990
If you feel you can do the degree, and your more for than against, keep enrolled. but if you have too much self doubt etc, withdraw for now explain the situation and reapply after a year or 2 after you sorted out personal issues.

I do feel like I can do the degree, as it's something I am interested in although I have never studied it before, which is a small part of my doubts. I guess withdrawing or at least deferring entry would be the best option, so I can regain some confidence and get some life/work experience.
Original post by Anonymous
To get the best out of University you need to have a clearer idea of what you want to do in life.

From what you have said you are not ready yet.

I would suggest looking at apprenticeships for now to build confidence and work experience.

Go to your careers office at College and ask for information.

Also look at the apprenticeship section on this site.

This is not a second rate option to University but an option that allows you get experience of work in an area of
your interest.

Once you look at potential different apprenticeships you will find yourself drawn to jobs by interest and those
are the ones to apply for.

This will be an excellent addition to your CV and make you stand out from other's.

A degree is only valuable with work experience as you only get work skills by working.

You will only appreciate this point by experiencing full time work.

Colleges are judged by the proportion going to University.

This is why they are so anxious to get you there.

Do the best thing for you not them.

Fair enough, thank you for the advice. I'll look at some Apprenticeships on different websites and see if any intrigue me enough to apply. If not, I'll look at jobs as well in case I decide against going to University this year.

The Sixth Form I was at wasn't the best with UCAS, they forced most people to apply so I agree completely with your last few points.
You can do an apprencticeship.

You can also do an hnc/hnd.

You can also do an online degree with the Open University in a fanstastic range of subjects such as physics, mathematics, history, law, psychology, computing, environment, geography etc.
Original post by Analyst89
You can do an apprencticeship.

You can also do an hnc/hnd.

You can also do an online degree with the Open University in a fanstastic range of subjects such as physics, mathematics, history, law, psychology, computing, environment, geography etc.

What is a HNC/HND, if you don't mind me asking? I've not heard of it till now. I did look at the Open University briefly when applying but ultimately decided against it.
A hnc/hnd is like a level 4/5 qualification equivalent to year 1, 2 year of uni.
Reply 10
i took a gap year - i had offers but i was sceptical and didnt want to rush into it. i spent the year once a week at college doing aat level 3 which carried a shed load of ucas points. and then just did voluntary work, internships the other 4 days and built up a solid CV and got into a way better uni. and turned up way more clued up more intelligent, mature, socially developed, clearer sense of purpose
Original post by Analyst89
A hnc/hnd is like a level 4/5 qualification equivalent to year 1, 2 year of uni.

I didn't know about that. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by Ol94
i took a gap year - i had offers but i was sceptical and didnt want to rush into it. i spent the year once a week at college doing aat level 3 which carried a shed load of ucas points. and then just did voluntary work, internships the other 4 days and built up a solid CV and got into a way better uni. and turned up way more clued up more intelligent, mature, socially developed, clearer sense of purpose

Did you take your gap year before or after receiving your results? I've looked at doing voluntary work to build my CV at some local charity shops. My CV is very weak as it is, so maybe having a gap year would be a reasonable suggestion. Thanks for the advice.
I took a gap year mate and applying for internships right now. Don’t worry about filling your year if that’s holding you back, literally no one cares or asks.
Original post by migetboy66
I took a gap year mate and applying for internships right now. Don’t worry about filling your year if that’s holding you back, literally no one cares or asks.

Cheers, appreciate it. From this thread it seems a lot of people didn't go to University straight away and I shouldn't force myself if I don't want to. What made you decide to have a gap year, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by AJ_3003
Cheers, appreciate it. From this thread it seems a lot of people didn't go to University straight away and I shouldn't force myself if I don't want to. What made you decide to have a gap year, if you don't mind me asking?

Honestly I was just tired of studying. Mentally exhausted from revision and didn’t feel like going back on the grind so soon.
The break was the best thing I ever did, and made me so much more charged up when uni came round.
Original post by migetboy66
Honestly I was just tired of studying. Mentally exhausted from revision and didn’t feel like going back on the grind so soon.
The break was the best thing I ever did, and made me so much more charged up when uni came round.

Same. I did a lot of revision for my A-Levels this year and felt so mentally drained towards the end, I couldn't even string a sentence together. I definitely think you had the right idea to have a gap year. I guess I could always put University on hold for the time being and do something productive that isn't mentally exhausting. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 17
Original post by AJ_3003
Did you take your gap year before or after receiving your results? I've looked at doing voluntary work to build my CV at some local charity shops. My CV is very weak as it is, so maybe having a gap year would be a reasonable suggestion. Thanks for the advice.

i rejected all the uni offers before exam period. and just started voluntary work/internships when college started. i ended up doing 7 different stuff in truth tho it was all basically unpaid or expenses. but was worth it i.e. an investment
Original post by Ol94
i rejected all the uni offers before exam period. and just started voluntary work/internships when college started. i ended up doing 7 different stuff in truth tho it was all basically unpaid or expenses. but was worth it i.e. an investment

Thanks for the advice. How come you ended up rejecting all the University offers, if you don't mind me asking? I think it's too late for me to reject mine as results day is only a few weeks away, so would it be wise to wait it out and see what happens.
Reply 19
Original post by AJ_3003
Thanks for the advice. How come you ended up rejecting all the University offers, if you don't mind me asking? I think it's too late for me to reject mine as results day is only a few weeks away, so would it be wise to wait it out and see what happens.

what i applied for wasnt right for me. plus the grades they wanted i wasnt gonna meet. so by taking the extra year i made much of an informed decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending